Packers new slot receiver is ....

coachbuns

8 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

No more than hoping a draft pick pans out. All theee rookies showed NFL ability with only Moore being suspect with hands, which as we know can improve. 

Remember the Vikings “stud” rookie from a couple years ago?

????  That's what I'm wary of ... draft picks not panning out.  Ability is nice ... as said, " if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas".  Ability not panning out has gotten many a coach and or GM fired.  I'm just not sure I want to put all my eggs into one basket hoping and praying our rookies improve enough to make our offense what it once was.  And no, I don't remember the Viking stud from a couple years ago; not even sure how that's relevant.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coachbuns said:

????  That's what I'm wary of ... draft picks not panning out.  Ability is nice ... as said, " if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas".  Ability not panning out has gotten many a coach and or GM fired.  I'm just not sure I want to put all my eggs into one basket hoping and praying our rookies improve enough to make our offense what it once was.  And no, I don't remember the Viking stud from a couple years ago; not even sure how that's relevant.   

Laquon Treadwell. Stud first round receiver who didn’t pan out. Drafting another receiver doesn’t guarantee anything. I feel we do have 3 maybe 4 young receivers who have shown they belong in the NFL. I trust them to keep improving. I also feel like your position could apply to every position on this team except LT, NT and QB. Do you trust Any other position to keep improving? We would need to draft someone at every other spot except those three then. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, vegas492 said:

I was probably one of the biggest Janis fans out there.  But...he won two jump balls.  Big time plays, but sandlot jump balls none the less.  Nothing about Janis shows that he ever learned how to run a route or where to be in the offense.  And that is a shame.  His career ended in GB when Rodgers hit him with a bomb when he was wide open and it clanked off of his facemask.  I can't help but wonder what would have happened had he simply caught that ball.

I wonder what kind of career Calvin Johnson would have had with ARod and his fear of throwing up 50/50 ball, even in 3rd and long situations,  gotta keep that leet QB rating....even when a pick is as good as a punt 50 yards downfield....The VJaxs, Evans, CJ's and Herman Moore's of the league made a living on winning jump balls, Janis is probably the best jump ball WR we have had since Javon Walker. We have MVS and ESB now, well see how they do....

Edited by fattlipp

1 hour ago, fattlipp said:

I wonder what kind of career Calvin Johnson would have had with ARod and his fear of throwing up 50/50 ball, even in 3rd and long situations,  gotta keep that leet QB rating....even when a pick is as good as a punt 50 yards downfield....The VJaxs, Evans, CJ's and Herman Moore's of the league made a living on winning jump balls, Janis is probably the best jump ball WR we have had since Javon Walker. We have MVS and ESB now, well see how they do....

Calvin Johnson would still be playing if he had Aaron Rodgers at QB.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Laquon Treadwell. Stud first round receiver who didn’t pan out. Drafting another receiver doesn’t guarantee anything. I feel we do have 3 maybe 4 young receivers who have shown they belong in the NFL. I trust them to keep improving. I also feel like your position could apply to every position on this team except LT, NT and QB. Do you trust Any other position to keep improving? We would need to draft someone at every other spot except those three then. 

I'm not advocating drafting any WR.  I'm just as interested picking up a wr free agent at good value as insurance.  We have enough young at that spot the way it is.  I expect last years wr talent to improve.  We have bigger fish to fry than spending a primo draft pick on a WR.  Far as Treadwell .... stud?!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

I don't know about that. PFF graded our WRs not named Adams all between 58.4 (Kummerow) to (ESB 64.4) which puts them all in the low end 3rd wr, high end 4 area (project wr/guys who shouldn't be playing). AR's passer rating dropped 30 points when not targeting Adams, Cobb or Ally. Realistically, maybe one steps up to be a fringe #2 and  we have 2 wrs who are worth playing.

I'm not saying we should blow a 1 on Metcalf or Brown, but just rolling with these guys and hoping they all step up is drinking kool aide. 

Also, bringing up a bust at WR is kind of a red herring. You can say that about literately every position.

12 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I'm not advocating drafting any WR.  I'm just as interested picking up a wr free agent at good value as insurance.  We have enough young at that spot the way it is.  I expect last years wr talent to improve.  We have bigger fish to fry than spending a primo draft pick on a WR.  Far as Treadwell .... stud?!  

Treadwell was supposed to be a stud coming out, turned out to be a flop. That was my point there. People who want to draft a WR high guarantees nothing. 

I agree with you and could get with a low price FA who can help just don’t feel like we desperately need to go there. Honestly, I’d stay put unless a guy I really loved Falls to round 5 or later. 

10 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I don't know about that. PFF graded our WRs not named Adams all between 58.4 (Kummerow) to (ESB 64.4) which puts them all in the low end 3rd wr, high end 4 area (project wr/guys who shouldn't be playing). AR's passer rating dropped 30 points when not targeting Adams, Cobb or Ally. Realistically, maybe one steps up to be a fringe #2 and  we have 2 wrs who are worth playing.

I'm not saying we should blow a 1 on Metcalf or Brown, but just rolling with these guys and hoping they all step up is drinking kool aide. 

Also, bringing up a bust at WR is kind of a red herring. You can say that about literately every position.

No, my point is that even a WR at #1 is not a sure thing. 

Hey, those were rookies and a FA who... did he ever play in a regular season game?  We don’t need them to be number 1’s. Grading them as 3-4 as rookies is not bad and with a little improvement they could easily be 2-3’s. Just what we need. 

16 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

No, my point is that even a WR at #1 is not a sure thing. 

Hey, those were rookies and a FA who... did he ever play in a regular season game?  We don’t need them to be number 1’s. Grading them as 3-4 as rookies is not bad and with a little improvement they could easily be 2-3’s. Just what we need. 

Kumerow and Allison are going into year 4 in their NFL careers. History says major progression after year 3 doesn't happen.  If you want you can bring up exceptions, but you are pretty much picking cherries. They are what they are at this point (fringe roster 4th string wrs)

You can argue ESB/MVS popping a bit. I'd still think you'd want to hedge with an additional player considering it would be a pretty big jump for both of them to become consistent legitimate 2/3rd options.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Kumerow and Allison are going into year 4 in their NFL careers. History says major progression after year 3 doesn't happen.  If you want you can bring up exceptions, but you are pretty much picking cherries. They are what they are at this point (fringe roster 4th string wrs)

You can argue ESB/MVS popping a bit. I'd still think you'd want to hedge with an additional player considering it would be a pretty big jump for both of them to become consistent legitimate 2/3rd options.

I guess we agree to disagree then. I don’t think it’s that big of a leap for them. Think they’re close. As close or closer than Adams several years ago. 

I wouldn’t complain if they drafted a WR if he was the top player on their board though. You grade them as you grade them for a reason and then draft your top guys. 

FA? Man, we have so many other needs. I also feel another TE is more important than WR but they don’t usually shine as rookies either.