Packers new slot receiver is ....

coachbuns

58 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Have the Packers really spend that much time on Harry?  From what I can see, the only WRs they've spent a considerable amount of time on this process was AJ Brown and Jeff Smith.  Looking at Walter Football's list, I don't think even visited with him.  I've seen the connection with Brown.  I haven't seen the connection to Harry.  I think they'd consider Hock/Fant if they fall to 30, but even then if there's an OT/EDGE/IDL/CB they prefer there, they're going there IMO.  Cobb was also a guy that was viewed as a late 1, early 2 that fell to the end of the 2nd round.  If Harry or Brown are there, they'd take them gladly.  But the only WR they've taken inside the top 50 was Jordy Nelson.

You're like a Historian with this stuff. Btw - I dont think (or think I read somewhere....) that they didnt visit with Alexander last year before selecting him. Perhaps he wasnt the initial target, but became so after the drop down, which would account for the non-visit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

And what if Adams goes down?

What about after Adams?

We drafted high 2011, 2014.....but grabbed Jones, Finley, Jennings, Jordy in consecutive years and just lost two of our all time greats.

Greg Jennings 52 - 45 rec 632 yds 3 TD

James Jones 78 - 47 rec 676 yds 2 TD

Jordy Nelson 36 - 33 rec 366 yds 2 TD

Jermichael Finley 91- 6 rec 74 yds 1TD

Randall Cobb 64 - 25 rec 375 yds 1TD

---------------------------------------------------------

J'Mon Moore 133 - 2 rec 15 yds 0 TD

Marquez Valdes-Scantling 174 - 38 rec 581 yds 2 TD

Equanimeous St. Brown 207 - 21 rec 328 yds 0 TD

MVS is only slightly behind Jennings and Jones as rookies.  They were competing with Donald Driver, I would argue that 2018 Davante Adams is better than 2006 Donald Driver.  EQ was about the same as, maybe a little behind, Cobb and Nelson.  Allison is probably better than our other WRs from 2006, IIRC Rod Gardner and Antonio Chatman.  These guys are big, fast, and productive in college. 

Am I saying that there is zero need for a WR? No.  I am saying that there isn't an emergency, and these guys need a QB that will throw the ball to them when they are open.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

WR's with rings the last 7 years

Edelman Hogan Dorsett

Jeffery Smith Agholor

Edelman Hogan Mitchell

Sanders Thomas

Edelman LaFell

Baldwin Tate

Boldin Smith

Certainly winning the SB is the ultimately goal, but now you're moving goalposts a bit. You went from "playoff teams" to "SB winners".

Sample size is pretty narrow. But extending it out a bit (article from 2014 and includes 2004-2013):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/does-a-team-really-need-an-elite-receiver-to-get-to-the-super-bowl/

The conclusion: of the last 20 teams to play in the Super Bowl, nine had an elite receiver (for that season, at least). Of those 20 squads, I'd argue that six had all-time elite receivers that will garner real consideration for the Hall of Fame (Owens, Ward, Harrison, Moss and Fitzgerald), though it's still too early to tell for the younger receivers like Cruz and Thomas.

(number jumps to 10/20 if you think Jennings was elite in 2010, which I'm not sure why the author excluded).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Certainly winning the SB is the ultimately goal, but now you're moving goalposts a bit. You went from "playoff teams" to "SB winners".

Sample size is pretty narrow. But extending it out a bit (article from 2014 and includes 2004-2013):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/does-a-team-really-need-an-elite-receiver-to-get-to-the-super-bowl/

The conclusion: of the last 20 teams to play in the Super Bowl, nine had an elite receiver (for that season, at least). Of those 20 squads, I'd argue that six had all-time elite receivers that will garner real consideration for the Hall of Fame (Owens, Ward, Harrison, Moss and Fitzgerald), though it's still too early to tell for the younger receivers like Cruz and Thomas.

(number jumps to 10/20 if you think Jennings was elite in 2010, which I'm not sure why the author excluded).

I was just lazy. I'm a "google the roster" kinda guy and didn't want to spend forever on it. I'm not willing to argue it to death as there are too many factors to consider.

The other wild card that no one is talking about is the new offense and LeFleur. 

Yes, Gute has final say, but maybe LeFleur is pounding the table like a mad man for a guy like Hockenson. Maybe he is pounding the table like a mad man for a road grader type right tackle. You know Gute is gonna want to give LeFleur the best start he can by getting him a guy he "has to have" for his offense, if there is such a thing. I have no idea what that is. Is a guy like Delanie Walker a necessity or just a guy LeFleur used to the best of his abilities ? Does he feel he has to have a back like Derrick Henry or are Jones and Williams adequate ? Does he feel he needs 2 Pro Bowl caliber receivers ? Does he have to have smaller quicker jitterbug receivers ? I don't think anyone knows yet

Edited by cannondale

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thats nice. Almost add Gronk to that list. And Welker/Edelman are elite slots.

In 2010 Jordy broke out down the stretch. In 2014 we had five solid targets before injury though I think Cobb was already slowing then.

And it's not like the Packers even use first round picks on their WRs. They sure don't spend on TE (2 threes in 13 years). RBs? One round two in ten years?

The offense was a dumpster fire last year that almost got Rodgers killed. But their sights are on the Superbowl. You save AR with better line and more open targets. You can never have enough, why they spent high on Cobb with FOUR plus targets in Jones, Nelson, Jennings, and Finley

Now we have Adams and two up and coming (and semi retired Lewis and Graham). They are well behind on offense.

Seriously, their goal is to return to 2011 wealth. In 2014 Lacy and Adams helped out.......and attrition since.

We have spent one TWO and one THREE on offense in the last FOUR drafts combined: Spriggs and Ty -- one gone, the other probably going. It shows esp on the line.

The Packers haven’t spent as much time on Harry as Zach Kruse would have you believe. He thinks that because they visited one of his games while they were in town during the season and he had a big game, that means they’re super invested in him. What difference does it make if they were in the stadium or not? Pretty sure that doesn’t matter one iota. He calls Harry a “perfect fit” but I don’t get that at all. To me, he’s not the type of receiver Rodgers likes to throw to (i.e. guys that get open) and there’s nothing about him that makes him an especially good fit for LaFleur’s offense. It’s all just pure speculation, couched in over-confident bluster.

Now watch them move ahead of Baltimore to draft him. 

6 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

As to luxury, I don't think so. They have ambitions to stack the receiver room back to 2011 level. Why LaFleur is looking at every Rodgers snap from 2011 and they are looking at every single slot guy round one to round 7.

They will pull the trigger on Harry, A.J. Brown, or Isabella at the right price. In that order too I think.

N'Keal Harry is my favourite receiver in the draft. Good size, weight, strength, athleticism, route running, a 40 time that is good enough for his size, good at winning 50/50 balls, smart, has a burst when needed, no character problems. What is not to like about that ? I don't think he will be available at #44, but if he were I'd be all over him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

N'Keal Harry is my favourite receiver in the draft. Good size, weight, strength, athleticism, route running, a 40 time that is good enough for his size, good at winning 50/50 balls, smart, has a burst when needed, no character problems. What is not to like about that ? I don't think he will be available at #44, but if he were I'd be all over him.

2 hours ago, Isherwood said:

The Packers haven’t spent as much time on Harry as Zach Kruse would have you believe. He thinks that because they visited one of his games while they were in town during the season and he had a big game, that means they’re super invested in him. What difference does it make if they were in the stadium or not? Pretty sure that doesn’t matter one iota. He calls Harry a “perfect fit” but I don’t get that at all. To me, he’s not the type of receiver Rodgers likes to throw to (i.e. guys that get open) and there’s nothing about him that makes him an especially good fit for LaFleur’s offense. It’s all just pure speculation, couched in over-confident bluster.

Now watch them move ahead of Baltimore to draft him. 

I see it in Harry. I agree it's not a "perfect fit" but it is a different look, which is what we want. And he has a very high ceiling. 

He's my only round one grade WR. Lots of teams take obvious busts like Treadwell. Some teams just don't know how to scout it and it's one position that's pretty easy to get a bead on really. And I do know what GB looks for, having followed them. And they want a slot / number one. Harry is the only number one in the draft imo. But he can start at slot. Allison can play there too. Harry can play all spots eventually.

I have Harry, Isabella, A J Brown (round 2 with red flags and is he Montgomery?). Nothing else 1/2. But lots day three, and maybe a couple Rd 3

I agree with you on Harry but only if you see him as he is and not what they can do with him: he's raw in routes. He's most like Davante but bigger. Both are very top notch hands and BB skills (Harry was looking at pro-basketball). Crazy quick feet for that size. Dude is stronger than linemen too. Will be plus plus in blocking. He gives a different look and the Packers I am very sure would love to mold him as those before. I'm not even sure what he is in the end. But the kid has the DRIVE and WANT to be great. Curious how high he is. Otherwise we may have to wait years for another chance really. Metcalf is worse than Janis honestly. Butler is not our type esp with bad hands....etc

Anyways, only he and Isabella get a clear high grade from me in this class. Otherwise day three is actually better (though Harmon and his teammate Myers are both good possession receivers -- not sure  we want that. We want a mismatch game changer, like always for 1-3 especially since we have a couple really good second year guys already).

Anyways, I kind of agree with what you say on fit but he will be A plus in the back shoulder which is Rodgers. He is the only sure thing at receiver in this draft. I think in GB his floor is Dez Bryant. You gotta take what the draft gives and it hasn't been great in WR for a few years. TT almost took Dez. Harry is a better prospect in green and gold colored glasses. Fabulous kid and will do everything asked.

• 1 month later...

Interesting note from an article on GMo being a good fit for how MLF offenses have used the slot in the past.

Consider the last three slot receivers used most frequently LaFleur-involved offenses: Mohamed Sanu, Cooper Kupp and Tajae Sharpe.

Sanu is 6-2 and ran 4.67. Kupp is 6-2 and ran 4.62. Sharpe is 6-2 and ran 4.55.

Sanu, Kupp and Sharpe don’t fit the small, shifty profile of most slot receivers, but they gave LaFleur’s offenses a combination of size, reliability, toughness and intelligence on the inside. Allison has all the same traits, and he’ll likely be first in line to become the Packers’ next go-to receiver in the slot in 2019.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

Interesting note from an article on GMo being a good fit for how MLF offenses have used the slot in the past.

Consider the last three slot receivers used most frequently LaFleur-involved offenses: Mohamed Sanu, Cooper Kupp and Tajae Sharpe.

Sanu is 6-2 and ran 4.67. Kupp is 6-2 and ran 4.62. Sharpe is 6-2 and ran 4.55.

Sanu, Kupp and Sharpe don’t fit the small, shifty profile of most slot receivers, but they gave LaFleur’s offenses a combination of size, reliability, toughness and intelligence on the inside. Allison has all the same traits, and he’ll likely be first in line to become the Packers’ next go-to receiver in the slot in 2019.

I mean, he IS one of our shorter receivers at 6'3. (Kinda proud to not be kidding)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Don't know if this has been posted before,  If this is truly the scheme he's running in GB I don't know to feel optimistic or meh. I hope he was just making the best of what he had to work with in Tennessee.

I feel better with Rodgers playing against zone than man.