NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

I know some you aren't the biggest fans of the draft rumor thread but the easiest thing to see current rumors that are swirling.

A trending rumor this morning on twitter is that the Cardinals are thinking about trading Josh Rosen and Drafting Kyler Murray. I know this rumor had come around when Murray had  announced for the NFL. but its Interesting that its back around today. But it would make sense Rosen doesn't fit Kliffs offense very well. Kliff Already said he loves Kyle Murray and would draft him at 1 if he had the option.

Discuss

Kyler Murray just signed with his agent- who also happens to represent Kliff Kingsbury. 

I'm convinced this is going to happen. I'm also convinced we won't hear anything about Rosen until we hear news that he is traded. For the reputation of the franchise, it can't get out that the Cardinals are making calls about trading Rosen. They need to be receiving calls about him, and they need to do it in private. Nothing can get out. To me, the better questions are where does Rosen get traded to and for how much? No one is trading a high first round pick for him, but a high 2nd or mid-late 1st should get it done, I would think. Giants 2nd round? Patriots 1st round? Jaguars 2nd round? Washington 1st round?

• Like 1

I have such a hard time seeing the Kyler to Arizona thing. I'd love it if it happened, but a move like that would largely be unprecedented I'm pretty sure. That being said, if you're Kingsbury and you're going to do something like that, then it obviously has to be now. So if he loves Kyler and doesn't like Rosen, he'll never be more bulletproof than he is now. 

Rosen I think would generate some real interest, but certainly not at a first round pick cost. I feel like the Pats were kind of into Rosen at times last year per the rumors, and I would really like that fit. A team like the Chargers should be interested as well. Washington would make a ton of sense given the tight situation that they are in right now. Plus, Smith can earn at least some of his money by helping Rosen out as it goes along. 

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It might, but why would you take Murray at # 1 overall ?

Grab Bosa and then use your other draft capital + Rosen to move up for Murray.

Because if you do that, you risk not getting him, which you don't want to do if you want him that bad. There are basically 2 QBs worth a damn in this draft, and there are 5 teams (Dolphins, Giants, Washington, Broncos, Jaguars) who need one. That doesn't even count the Patriots, Saints, Chargers, and Steelers, who all will need QBs soon.

The stars are aligning here. Kingsbury recruited Murray HARD out of high school to run his offense at Texas Tech. Then he said, on camera, that he would draft Murray #1 overall if he had the chance. The Cardinals are a disaster right now; they need an infusion of talent everywhere. You just hired a young, exciting guy to be your HC and run his exciting, high powered offense. Let him take the guy who he has previously begged to run it. Objectively, the Cardinals instantly become at least interesting to watch with a Kingsbury offense and Murray at the helm. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

It might, but why would you take Murray at # 1 overall ?

Grab Bosa and then use your other draft capital + Rosen to move up for Murray.

If you're going to do that, you almost certainly need a second top 10 selection if you want to ensure you'll get Murray.  What's that price tag?  It's probably Rosen, your SRP this year, and a FRP next year.  Or something along those lines.

Little too early to figure anything on the Rams front, but - per usual - I expect the Chargers to be extraordinarily predictable when it comes to their early-draft strategy.

Step 1) Listen closely to Tom Telesco's close-of-season presser, more often than not he identifies the 1-2 areas he feels the team came up short the past season.  One of those two will be the 1st round pick unless utterly profound (i.e. Derwin James at Pick 17; they didn't expect him to be remotely there and were set to take Taven Bryan if he wasn't) value falls to them.

Step 2) In that presser for this past season, OL and LB were highlighted.

Step 3) Look at the roster and see the hoels they have and anticipate which ones they won't fill (because whatever need Telesco dog-ears for his 1st round pick, he flat out doesn't even sniff in free agency or in resigning free agent Chargers players).

Where this largely points to... ILB (the team has none on the roster currently, all ILB's are free agents) and OT (Forrest Lamp has yet to play a pro snap, Okung is a free agent in 2021; so if the team is planning to stick an understudy at ROT in the interim, the time is nigh).  Those two positions are probably way, WAY more likely than any QB (unless someone like Haskins, who won't, falls to #28) or DL (unless, again, phenomenal value is there).  Telesco has shown he's far more likely to reach for or trade up for his specified position of need than to sit and wait and take what he perceives to be a secondary need because of it being a "better value fit."