NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The fact that there are at least ten EDGE guys you believe to be on par with Atkins and Cox is a good indicator of why Atkins and Cox are more valuable. Why is LT considered the most valuable position on the OL? It's because of scarcity.

I think they are two different questions going on here. 

The value of edge vs. interior pressure in general 

The value of players who get edge vs. interior pressure

If there were 35 awesome QBs at a relatively close level they would be less valuable from a roster construction POV. But they would still have the most effect of any position on the field. 

Then you would have to balance that however you see fit.

• Like 2

I think one of the reasons IDL are valued less in the draft is that they are harder projections than edge rushers.  Like "one on one, edge rusher vs. left tackle" is basically the football equivalent of a batter against a pitcher, particularly since the best pass rusher on a given college defense usually lines up opposite the best pass protector on the offensive line.  So it's easy to isolate reps, see where and how a guy wins and loses, and heck it's even easy to see what's going on.  On the inside of the DL, not only is it a bit of a mess, but you're often lining up opposite the worst guys on a given offensive line.  It's not an impossible eval, but it's hard to watch Vernon Butler just wrecking CUSA guards and get much of value from that.  I mean, edge is a position where "measurable athletic traits" really do correlate with success whereas on the DL it's a lot more complicated.

If there's one thing I know about the draft, it's that teams love guys who are easy evals.  A lot of draft mistakes are because guys get overrated just because their eval is so easy.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

5 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One imagines the whole reason the "Murray at 1" thing got started is that Keim has basically one year to show considerable positive momentum or he's gone.  One isn't going to save their job by taking a good pass rusher, so you go for the hail mary play at both coach and QB.  

Keim basically needs something on the order of a "Baker Mayfield resurgence" to save his job.   He has better odds at keeping it if the Cards score 30 points a game and go 6-10 losing 36-40 regularly than if they go 7-9 running the ball and playing defense with 17-14 wins.

Nah he's just the clear 1-1 and a lot more valuable than both the next best player in the draft and Rosen. 

4 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Why is dline not considered a premium position? 

I have a reason just want to know others' reasons for this common thought.

If they defend both the run and pass its close enough to a premium position, but edge rushing is proven more valuable than interior rushing. 

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Daniel Jones seems like the QB that the NFL consistently adores and thus overdrafts.  Like if you were to design one of those in a lab, you might get Daniel Jones.  

Drew Lock is moreso.

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Pete Prisco is behind this and he’s always wrong. 

I said the same thing in the 49ers forum :D:D:D

But it is a rumor...and a fun one at that. And I've never been 100% on the Murray to AZ train...certainly thought it more feasible as the season has gone on, but it's so crazy unprecedented, I have a hard time wrapping my head around a team actually being willing to do it. 

49ers still looking to trade down. Armstead and Thomas are on the trade block. Dave-te thinks Armstead could fetch a late 1st. Solomon Thomas might not fetch a 3rd. While everyone has them penciled in with Bosa, he's hearing they are leaning Williams.

Dolphins looking to move up to 3 for a defensive lineman.

Gruden loves Oliver. Mayock not so much. He likes Josh Allen, loves Quinnen Williams. Will Grier could be a day 2 guy the Raiders target.

If Drew Lock slides, Packers are a team that could be a landing spot at 30.

Falcons have interest in Oliver and have had talks about trading up to 8 for him.

Hints for tomorrows episode covering DTs that he has information on a DT that won't be missing next season as expected (I'm assuming he's talking about Jeffrey Simmons).

Rashan Gary shoulder is going to be a lingering issue for him and will result in him sliding out of the top 10.

Ndamukong Suh could be heading to the Chargers on a 1 year deal.

Dave-te Thomas' podcast covering rumors.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, typecast said:

He loses a bit of credibility when he says Armstead could fetch a late first. Just no way in the world that is happening. Armstead is a solid player, no doubt, but he's not a pass rusher. You're not paying a late first round pick for a guy making 10 million this year, needs a new contract, is a non pass rush lineman who's greatest strength is what he does against the run and the fact that he can line up at 1 / 3 / 5 tech 

• Like 2