NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I honestly wonder if there aren't NFL teams who actively see Casserly as a reliable asset for disinformation campaigns.  Since they know he's going to go on tv and just repeat whatever they tell him, likely uncritically.  It's always been the case that teams lie, they're just better at it than they used to be.  Like instead of the GM standing at the podium and straight up telling lies, they'll just have someone contact a media person to become an "anonymous source" to tell lies, since the expectation is that the anonymity would mean that the person has no reason to lie since telling the truth won't come back to bite them.

This for sure happens with some of the draft media guys. Jeremiah, Mortenson, Riddick and others.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's what I don't understand

To trade out of one so “come get this hyped up NFL difference maker and reshaper” I would assume. Only thing logical I can think of. Either that or they are taking Murray, going to trade Rosen and all this smoke is in fact because of a fire. That’s what I’m pulling for cause it would flip the NFL on its head and I’m one of those people who just wants to watch the world burn (or atleast NFC West teams other than the niners).

15 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

To trade out of one so “come get this hyped up NFL difference maker and reshaper” I would assume. Only thing logical I can think of. Either that or they are taking Murray, going to trade Rosen and all this smoke is in fact because of a fire. That’s what I’m pulling for cause it would flip the NFL on its head and I’m one of those people who just wants to watch the world burn (or atleast NFC West teams other than the niners).

But it's just such weird logic in my opinion. I don't understand how telling the league you're going to draft this one guy improves your trade possibility unless they are hoping that a team who wants Bosa is willing to trade up to get ahead of the niners? Like, "hey, if you want player B, you have to deal with us because we want player A, but everyone knows the 49ers are taking player B". It almost feels like they are trying to target a very specific trade partner (maybe the Raiders?) if this is a smoke screen. Because if they love Murray as much as they are trying to let on to the rest of the league, there's no way that they would trade out of the spot and pass him up. Who is passing on the guy that they think is a franchise quarterback and all that jazz? It's just weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

But a smokescreen for what? They have #1.

Two possibilities:

1) Cardinals want to make it seem like they could keep Rosen to push the price up; or

2) Another team is leaking it to try and dissuade the Cardinals from taking Murray.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong Casserly report.

Edited by jrry32

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm reminded of the Belichick quote on Charlie Casserly.

It was something like "Who's been wrong more than Charlie Casserly since leaving [Washington]?  His percentage is like a meteorologist."

It's worth considering that he's employed by NFLN as an analyst, and not a journalist- breaking news is literally not his job.

The problem is, these rumors about Murray's erratic personality were already out before Casserly even mentioned it.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The problem is, these rumors about Murray's erratic personality were already out before Casserly even mentioned it.

NFL teams just need to figure out how to manage all these non-snake people now that they are going to be close to 100% of people drafted.

(Anybody born 1997 or later is Gen Z)

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I honestly wonder if there aren't NFL teams who actively see Casserly as a reliable asset for disinformation campaigns.  Since they know he's going to go on tv and just repeat whatever they tell him, likely uncritically.  It's always been the case that teams lie, they're just better at it than they used to be.  Like instead of the GM standing at the podium and straight up telling lies, they'll just have someone contact a media person to become an "anonymous source" to tell lies, since the expectation is that the anonymity would mean that the person has no reason to lie since telling the truth won't come back to bite them.

I don't think its team-specific but NFL- specific. Casserly is a league mouthpiece and the last thing the league wants is a done deal at pick # 1 and # 2
They are selling ad time and that's the most expensive ad time they have for the draft.
That's why the league changed the rules about signing guys before the draft, because it kills the suspense and hurts their bottom line. The NFL is pimping the draft like the Super Bowl, moving it around and grabbing as much cash as they can. This fits in with that goal

Of course there is team-specific and player-specific lying going on. But in this case I believe its just an effort to create some doubt and continue to hype THE BIG DECISION for the benefit of the owners, network and advertisers. Its one of their biggest events of the year

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Maybe in hopes a team that really wants Murray will trade up to #1.  Oakland maybe?

But why alienate your young QB with rumors of we don't want you and you are trade bait just to drum up interest for a trade down.

Seems incredibility dumb if it was just a smoke screen.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

But why alienate your young QB with rumors of we don't want you and you are trade bait just to drum up interest for a trade down.

Another valid point

26 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If it was just a smokescreen, wouldn't you think they'd let Rosen in on it?  Sometimes the triple layers of these type things make people overthink it wayyy too much.

If I was a GM, I'd actually float my real strategy to Millen.  No one would believe him anyway, and probably think the opposite were true.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

It feels worth considering that all the various rumors about Murray and Rosen (especially the mutually contradictory ones) are probably coming from different sources, which are most likely working in opposition to each other.

Like a team trading for Murray/Rosen probably wants to reduce the perception of their value so they don't have to give up as much.  I figure that we have "Rosen's cheap" and 'Murray's a bum" reports in the media indicates that there are teams interested in either Rosen or trading up.

I think this might officially be the most absurd "anonymous scout" report I have heard, and that is a high bar to clear.

Like people have long suspected funny business with 40 times at the combine (despite the fact that all 32 NFL teams own several stopwatches) but is their tape measure broke now?

Edited by PossibleCabbage

This was news to many, including myself. So I texted around. A source told me Murray basically admitted he didn’t like watching too much film. He also really struggled on the board and going over film at identifying what was going on. Yet he acted like he knew everything. It was really bad from what I heard. This team came away very unimpressed. Now, this same source also told me he definitely expects Murray to be the first pick in the draft to Arizona. So what does it really matter if he interviewed poorly with other teams? If Arizona is smitten, that is all that really matters.

From Middlekauff on the athletic talking about Casserly's report of Murray's below average qualities. If it was really that bad, I don't know how Arizona is possibly smitten with him lol