NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What is a realistic move for Pittsburgh to get up to #8ish. Would our 1st(20), 2nd(52), and 5th(141) get it done? 

That wouldn't do it in my opinion. 8 to 20 is a pretty significant jump. Something like that has always required a future pick in past trades. The Browns moved from #25 to #12 a couple years ago which is the same amount spots, and it cost them #25 and a future 1st. Last year the Saints did something similar and moved up 13 spots going from #27 to #14. And that cost them #27 , a 5th, and a future 1st.  I think since the pick is in the top-10 it would cost a bit more than these past trades, so I would think at the very least its a 1st, 3rd, and future 1st. Something along those lines. 

12 hours ago, N4L said:

No, I think people have his season rated exactly as it went. He had some really bad moments this year. It was not a good season by any stretch of the imagination. 

At no point in time was he ever 'one of the top QBs in the game'. He was out played by udfa Nick Mullens, so let's not get carried away here. 

It was to be expected. I thought he should have been on the bench for a few weeks if not most of the season. Like I said, he has some terrible habits. 

Progress is progress though and I agree he did start to take some baby steps  

No point in time?

So last 4 games of the season, which I was talking about...

Watson QB% 109.3 - 1134 Yards 5TD/0Int/1fum

Darnold QB% 96.6 - 931 Yards 6TD/1Int/0fum

Brady QB% 96.1 - 1013 Yards 9TD/3Int/0fum

Mullens QB% 91.6 - 1130 Yards 6TD/5Int/0fum

Rogers QB% 87.3 - 938 Yards 4TD/1Int/0fum

Goff QB% 83.6 - 934 Yards 5TD/5Int/0fum

Allen QB% 75.3 - 851 Yards 5TD/5Int/1fum

I threw in two Super Bowl QBs, Mullens, and each QB he played in the last 4 games. By any stretch of the imagination, that is much more than "baby steps". Did he struggle? Yes. But when he came back from injury, he wasnt just ok, he was great. 

Last 4 games, come from behind win in the cold of Buffalo, lost to but outplayed Aaron Rodgers toe to toe, lost to but kept up with Deshaun Watson, got smoked by the greatest QB ever. That's pretty good for a rookie.

Those "terrible habits" went away as he came back from injury and of all the teams/QBs listed above, Darnold EASILY had the worst supporting cast, not even close. 

Just because you believe something to be true doesnt mean that it is. 

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but

Is it just me or has the O-Line draft in general been pretty weak the last few years?

Modern college offenses combined with shorter pro camp/contact practices and you have a perfect storm of young OL who aren’t ready or able to make that usual immediate impact.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Supposedly this was discovered during his physical before he participated in the drills at the combine. Docs cleared him to participate even with the issue, which is important since they've been known to send people home. Impossible to tell exactly how much or if this drops him at all; all it takes for one team to like him and their docs to clear him for him to still go top-10. What is encouraging though is that the combine docs cleared him. IMO, this won't hurt his projected draft position as of right now. I still expect him to go top-10. It sounds minor.

Yeah, I think it might drop him slightly - but only in a scenario where a team has him level pegged with another player. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Any rumors of late picking teams wanting to trade down? I don’t see Cleveland trading a 2020 pick, but I can see them trading a bunch of picks this year for a late 1st and potential day 1 starter in the secondary.

It would depend on how the board calls but the Rams are a good bet to trade down from 31. Hard to tell what they’re looking at but a first round dB is a possibility.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Any rumors of late picking teams wanting to trade down? I don’t see Cleveland trading a 2020 pick, but I can see them trading a bunch of picks this year for a late 1st and potential day 1 starter in the secondary.

You'd have to expect Green Bay will entertain the offer.  But it's going to take a 2020 FRP to move down IMO.  Don't see them moving from 30 to 49.  If they move from 30, it'll be in that early 2nd round range.

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Giants haven't put out "smoke" in like 5 years now. They were too easy to read under Reese where they got jumped for their guy multiple times, and the first draft Gettleman ran here, he basically told everyone he was taking Barkley. It has only been one source so far, but if I hear it from someone else I'll really believe it.

But yeah, I think it would be dumb to pass on Haskins. I've come to like Murray a lot more recently, but Haskins is pretty perfect for Shurmur's offense. Would anyone put it past Gettleman to make a dumb move though? If Haskins and Murray are gone, I'm ok with taking two linemen, offensive and defensive, at 6 and 17. We need help everywhere. Get a pass rusher and a RT and trade for Rosen or something.

That's really not true.  The Giants were linked to Saquon Barkley very early on, and then it was leaked that they weren't going to take Barkley and were fixated on QBs.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What is a realistic move for Pittsburgh to get up to #8ish. Would our 1st(20), 2nd(52), and 5th(141) get it done? 

The "closest" comparison would have been when the Chiefs moved up for Patrick Mahomes.  The Chiefs gave up their FRP (#27), 3rd round pick (#91), and a FRP in 2018.  Some of that is the "QB bonus", but it's probably taking more than a 2nd round pick to move up.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That's really not true.  The Giants were linked to Saquon Barkley very early on, and then it was leaked that they weren't going to take Barkley and were fixated on QBs.

Link? I follow the Giants extensively and everyone who had a clue kind of knew they were going to take Barkley for a while. Kim Jones was all over it for months. Gettleman in a pre-draft press conference dropped hints that "you really need to like a QB to take him. You can't take one just to take one" and "he already had in mind a gold jacket guy" and he raved about Saquon.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

20 / 2 / 3 is pretty comparable. 

Maybe 20 / 2 / 2020 2nd. 

The latter is more likely, although I'm still skeptical that is going to be enough.  You're dropping at least a tier or two in terms of prospects for what?  A mid-to-late SRP doesn't change much.  You need to overwhelm a team who is moving down.  Not just pay fair value.  Right now, the only team inside the top 10 that doesn't have their SRP is the Jets, and moving down from 3 to 20 is overkill.  Maybe if the Jets moved down in that 8-12 range, but as of now moving up from 20 to 3 would cost at least their SRP this year and their FRP next year.