NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

I mean, that's pretty much exactly what the Cardinals have to say, either way, right?  Even if they are exploring the idea of dealing Rosen and picking up Kyler...until there's actually some sort of done deal in place, you really can't get caught publicly fishing in both ponds, so to speak.  Rosen has to be "our guy" right up until the moment the trade paperwork is faxed in, basically.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Step 1) Listen closely to Tom Telesco's close-of-season presser, more often than not he identifies the 1-2 areas he feels the team came up short the past season.  One of those two will be the 1st round pick unless utterly profound (i.e. Derwin James at Pick 17; they didn't expect him to be remotely there and were set to take Taven Bryan if he wasn't) value falls to them.

Jeeez.  Talk about good fortune and a bullet dodged.  xD

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, that's pretty much exactly what the Cardinals have to say, either way, right?  Even if they are exploring the idea of dealing Rosen and picking up Kyler...until there's actually some sort of done deal in place, you really can't get caught publicly fishing in both ponds, so to speak.  Rosen has to be "our guy" right up until the moment the trade paperwork is faxed in, basically.

Jeeez.  Talk about good fortune and a bullet dodged.  xD

I think trading Rosen would hit the cap for a huge amount.  I’m trying to remember a top-10 pick that was traded after one year...

25 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I think trading Rosen would hit the cap for a huge amount.  I’m trying to remember a top-10 pick that was traded after one year...

Honestly it's not really bad. Rounding up, $8.2M dead money accelerated to this year. The new team has to pay the workout bonuses, you only have to account for the signing bonus. (I'm not familiar with how the post june 1st designation would work, not really understanding what OTC is telling me)

Trading FOR Rosen's contract is a joke. He would cost the new team next to nothing, plus they still have the 5th year option they can exercise. 

https://overthecap.com/player/josh-rosen/6895/

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

If Baker floundered this year I wonder if that would have had any influence on the Kyler hype

I think it for sure would. Not even just the size thing, but the scheme he came from. Every Oklahoma QB would get the "system QB" label.

Baker Mayfield is the reason Murray isn't playing baseball.

• Like 2

Here's the thing, and I think it's really fair to point out:

The Cardinals don't HAVE to get Bosa at 1.1. Or Murray. Cards already have an Alpha pass-rusher. Do they NEED a second Alpha? Not necessarily. They could win a lot of football games with just a good second pass-rusher. However, many believe Bosa to be the best pass-rusher in the draft. He's definitely a blue Chip.

But they don't NEED him. He would be a great pick, but they have Chandler Jones, one of the three most productive edge rushers in the league over the past couple of years, so they don't NEED him.

Plenty of other teams do.

Marcus Davenport was perceived to be worth multiple firsts. Bosa is clearly better than Davenport and would have to be drafted at a better slot. I know the 49ers love Bosa. The Jets love Bosa. The Giants would love Bosa. The Buccaneers don't really have someone of that caliber, and Gerald McCoy could be a free agent.

What IF a team was willing to trade away two 1s, with one being a top-10 pick, for Bosa? I think it's possible. Especially if he destroys the Combine.

The Cardinals could draft Kyler with that other top-10 pick, possibly trading up in the process if they land outside of the top 5 or so picks. Some of you guys are talking like trading away Rosen is the only option to nab Kyler. What if they traded away Bosa?

They could deal Rosen for valuable assets later during the draft. It would give them more leverage, because then they wouldn't HAVE to draft Kyler, either, because Rosen would still be there. It would make it easier to get Kyler. Remember, the 49ers traded a very talented tackle in Trent Brown for less than he was worth last year. I mean, it's possible that a similar deal opens up later.

The Cards have plenty of holes, so they don't HAVE to get anyone in particular. Unless they're stuck at number one. But they don't have to be stuck there.

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Marcus Davenport was perceived to be worth multiple firsts. Bosa is clearly better than Davenport and would have to be drafted at a better slot. I know the 49ers love Bosa. The Jets love Bosa. The Giants would love Bosa. The Buccaneers don't really have someone of that caliber, and Gerald McCoy could be a free agent.

Let's not sugarcoat this.  The Saints trade up had more to do with the lack of ammunition than anything else.  The Saints traded their SRP in '18 to move back into the 3rd round for Alvin Kamara in the 3rd round of the 2017 draft.  The earliest pick the Saints had to dangle was 91st pick.  According to the trade value chart, packaging those two picks would have gotten the Saints around the 20th/21st pick.  That probably came up a bit short of where Marcus Davenport would have lasted until, so the Saints likely needed to dig into future picks.  A future SRP probably wouldn't have gotten it done with most teams, so they had to give up their FRP this year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Let's not sugarcoat this.  The Saints trade up had more to do with the lack of ammunition than anything else.  The Saints traded their SRP in '18 to move back into the 3rd round for Alvin Kamara in the 3rd round of the 2017 draft.  The earliest pick the Saints had to dangle was 91st pick.  According to the trade value chart, packaging those two picks would have gotten the Saints around the 20th/21st pick.  That probably came up a bit short of where Marcus Davenport would have lasted until, so the Saints likely needed to dig into future picks.  A future SRP probably wouldn't have gotten it done with most teams, so they had to give up their FRP this year.

I mean, there was also a precedent set the year before with 2 teams trading up from the mid 20s to 10 and 12. We had to send a bit more back because it wasnt for a QB

1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

I mean, there was also a precedent set the year before with 2 teams trading up from the mid 20s to 10 and 12. We had to send a bit more back because it wasnt for a QB

They traded up for a QB.  You're always going to be paying $1.50 on the dollar for a QB.  That's the price to play.

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yes. Their only option they had was to say some variation of what they said. The one they chose was hardly committal and definite. If Kliff or Keim had come out with an official, lengthy statement, I'd believe it. But from what has been said so far, this doesn't change my opinion on what I think will happen.

It will be fun to hear the news when the Cards have an official meeting with Murray at the combine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Current Birmingham Iron star Trent Richardson! Granted, he still got 2 games into the 2013 season with the Browns, but that should be close enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

It costs 4 million dollars more to trade him against the cap than to keep him. Because it's a rookie deal, you are underwater on it even in a trade. Makes no real sense to do it. The figure isn't crippling or anything (4+ million to keep him on the roster, 8 million to get rid of him), but it's a situation where you just have to be like, "why?"

• Like 2