NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I mean, there was also a precedent set the year before with 2 teams trading up from the mid 20s to 10 and 12. We had to send a bit more back because it wasnt for a QB

They traded up for a QB.  You're always going to be paying $1.50 on the dollar for a QB.  That's the price to play.

Like I said, we sent a 3rd back because the Saints weren't trading up for a QB. 

• Like 1

GM/Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin has come outright and said it will be a priority this offseason to get faster at linebacker - which comes with no surprise, but it's nice to hear nonetheless. It's well assumed Devin White is going to rip off an impressive 40 time, and likely perform well at the combine in general. If he's there at 11 I think we sprint the pick to the podium. 

“The game is getting faster, so on defense, you know, I think we're going to be looking for speed, which we always are. You're never looking for slow, but you know that's going to be a focus of what we do,” Tobin said. “We want guys that can run, that can cover. The game is becoming a passing game, so you want guys that can cover on the two-back levels, that can run, that have some flexibility to them, that have a feel in coverage because that's such a vital component of the game that we play right now.

“And you're always looking for guys on the lines, guys that are quick twitch, explosive, fast, sudden, strong, guys that can gain position on opponents out of their stance. We're always looking on both lines of scrimmage. You just can never have enough big guys. We'll be focused there; we'll be focused on speed on defense.”

Edited by SmittyBacall

21 hours ago, Forge said:

It costs 4 million dollars more to trade him against the cap than to keep him. Because it's a rookie deal, you are underwater on it even in a trade. Makes no real sense to do it. The figure isn't crippling or anything (4+ million to keep him on the roster, 8 million to get rid of him), but it's a situation where you just have to be like, "why?"

The reason you would do this is if you think you need to get Rosen out of the QB room right away before the new guy shows up. This mindset has caused functional quarterbacks to be outright cut it the past.

I dunno what AZ is planning. I'd get a defensive superstar and declare victory. If Rosen sucks hard, you will draft near the top next year and can get your qb then. On the other hand, Kliff appears to have Valentine Hearts in his eyes right now. So I doubt they go my path.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, Counselor said:

If Baker floundered this year I wonder if that would have had any influence on the Kyler hype

Definitely, it's a copycat league and the success of Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes certainly helped increase Murray's draft stock. Mayfield because he was also an OU QB that won the Heisman in the same offensive system and then lit the league up as a rookie. And Mahomes because he's a former baseball player with an unconventional playing style that teams will hope Murray can replicate in their offense.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Gettleman is a straight shooter. He doesn't lie, he doesn't mince words. There are a lot of things he won't go into, but he doesn't deceive by lying.

After his press conference today, I'm convinced the Giants are going to trade up for Haskins or Murray, most likely Haskins. The two most telling quotes: "The Kansas City model worked out pretty well" and, when asked about potentially making a move like Accorsi did back in 2004 for Eli, he responded with "No guts, no glory kid". Simba to New York confirmed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Dave Gettleman is a straight shooter. He doesn't lie, he doesn't mince words. There are a lot of things he won't go into, but he doesn't deceive by lying.

After his press conference today, I'm convinced the Giants are going to trade up for Haskins or Murray, most likely Haskins. The two most telling quotes: "The Kansas City model worked out pretty well" and, when asked about potentially making a move like Accorsi did back in 2004 for Eli, he responded with "No guts, no glory kid". Simba to New York confirmed.

He was also oddly wishy-washy on committing to Eli and actually spoke really glowingly about the KC model. I mean, is there a better situation for Haskins than taking the Patrick Mahomes approach behind Eli Manning under Pat Shurmur?

10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

He was also oddly wishy-washy on committing to Eli and actually spoke really glowingly about the KC model. I mean, is there a better situation for Haskins than taking the Patrick Mahomes approach behind Eli Manning under Pat Shurmur?

Kyler is more like Mahomes than Haskins is though.

Just now, minutemancl said:

I don't think that is the comparison Gettleman was going for. I think he was talking about having an established QB start and drafting a young guy to sit a year and learn.

I love the idea of Murray in your offense. How do you stop Kyler, Saquon, and OBJ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Dallas draft rumor: DE just became a need because the universe hates us. 

Does the universe hate you? Or does Randy Gregory just really love weed?

DE was a need for you before Gregory's season went up in smoke. If Lawrence leaves in FA, then the universe probably hates you.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Does the universe hate you? Or does Randy Gregory just really love weed?

DE was a need for you before Gregory's season went up in smoke. If Lawrence leaves in FA, then the universe probably hates you.

Is Taco Charlton a bust or something? I always thought Dallas had good depth with Lawrence, Gregory, Irving, and Charlton.