NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

Just now, Forge said:

There definitely was. I was pissed. Peter King was the first, I think that was like the week before. A few days before the draft, the beat writers picked up on it too

I definitely remember your reaction after hearing those rumors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Given how much we've heard that the Dolphins are looking to '20 for their QBOTF, his smells like a smokescreen.  Plus, New York probably does't want to deal with Miami.  Haskins seems to be going to either Jacksonville at 7 or Cincinnati at 11.

I wouldn't really include Jacksonville in that group at this point.  Obviously can't rule it out, but all the rumblings and smoke around them seems to indicate that QB at 7 is very unlikely.

Wouldn't really make a lot of sense to go out and spend all this money on Foles as "The Guy" in FA, even going so far as to justify bidding against themselves essentially to "overpay" him just to better establish him as a starting QB with a starting QB contract - only to turn around and completely cut that out at the knees by drafting a clear challenger to his status at #7, rather than an important piece to help Foles succeed.

Foles is essentially on a 2-year deal.  Nobody is sitting a QB they draft at #7 overall for 2 years.  It'd essentially be a vote of non-confidence in Foles before he even takes a snap as a Jaguar, which is pretty much counter to everything they've appeared to be trying to do with him thus far.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I wouldn't really include Jacksonville in that group at this point.  Obviously can't rule it out, but all the rumblings and smoke around them seems to indicate that QB at 7 is very unlikely.

Wouldn't really make a lot of sense to go out and spend all this money on Foles as "The Guy" in FA, even going so far as to justify bidding against themselves essentially to "overpay" him just to better establish him as a starting QB with a starting QB contract - only to turn around and completely cut that out at the knees by drafting a clear challenger to his status at #7, rather than an important piece to help Foles succeed.

Foles is essentially on a 2-year deal.  Nobody is sitting a QB they draft at #7 overall for 2 years.  It'd essentially be a vote of non-confidence in Foles before he even takes a snap as a Jaguar, which is pretty much counter to everything they've appeared to be trying to do with him thus far.

I wasn't trying to imply it was likely, but it's not like they handed Foles a Kirk Cousins-type of contract.  They're not overly tied to Foles.  And it's not like that Foles has a long record that you're comfortable.  He's their starting QB for the next 2 years only.  And then the Jaguars can save money by releasing him after 2020.  Haskins doesn't change that.  Either they move on from Foles, or they flip Haskins for quite a bit after developing him for a year or two.  I'd say Cincinnati is more likely than Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is the first team that I realistically see being interested.  The draw of Ohio State and the Bengals seems too much for Mike Brown to overcome.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I wasn't trying to imply it was likely, but it's not like they handed Foles a Kirk Cousins-type of contract.  They're not overly tied to Foles.  And it's not like that Foles has a long record that you're comfortable.  He's their starting QB for the next 2 years only.  And then the Jaguars can save money by releasing him after 2020.  Haskins doesn't change that.  Either they move on from Foles, or they flip Haskins for quite a bit after developing him for a year or two.  I'd say Cincinnati is more likely than Jacksonville, but Jacksonville is the first team that I realistically see being interested.  The draw of Ohio State and the Bengals seems too much for Mike Brown to overcome.

The problem with that is, if the Nick Foles experience doesn't work out this year...there's very likely going to be a massive housecleaning in the organization from the coach all the way up to GM.  Caldwell has already whiffed on one Top-5 pick QB with Bortles, which no GM really survives.  The Foles signing is like his last chance "mulligan".  So these guys have a seriously vested interest in getting Foles the best supporting cast they can cobble together for this year...rather than investing a #7 pick for someone else to potentially benefit from a couple years down the line.

So as much as The Jaguars franchise isn't necessarily tied to Foles beyond 2019...the current front office staff and their jobs certainly are.  They're the ones doing the drafting.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The problem with that is, if the Nick Foles experience doesn't work out this year...there's very likely going to be a massive housecleaning in the organization from the coach all the way up to GM.  Caldwell has already whiffed on one Top-5 pick QB with Bortles, which no GM really survives.  The Foles signing is like his last chance "mulligan".  So these guys have a seriously vested interest in getting Foles the best supporting cast they can cobble together for this year...rather than investing a #7 pick for someone else to potentially benefit from a couple years down the line.

So as much as The Jaguars franchise isn't necessarily tied to Foles beyond 2019...the current front office staff and their jobs certainly are.  They're the ones doing the drafting.

Realistically, what's Foles' upside?  He's not going to be the QB he was down the stretch of the Eagles' Super Bowl run.  He's probably Kirk Cousins-lite.  Good enough to keep a FO from getting fired, but not really good enough to get them to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone win one.  So if the Jaguars truly believe that Haskins is a franchise QB, Foles should keep them afloat long enough to see their investment in Haskins pan out one way or the other.  LIS, it's not overly likely but it's hardly able to be ruled out.  Foles doesn't prevent you from taking a QB.  That's not a Kirk Cousins contract, which pretty much prevents it.  They're probably more likely going OT or WR/TE here, with an outside chance of an EDGE going here.

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically, what's Foles' upside?  He's not going to be the QB he was down the stretch of the Eagles' Super Bowl run.  He's probably Kirk Cousins-lite.  Good enough to keep a FO from getting fired, but not really good enough to get them to a Super Bowl appearance, let alone win one.  So if the Jaguars truly believe that Haskins is a franchise QB, Foles should keep them afloat long enough to see their investment in Haskins pan out one way or the other.  LIS, it's not overly likely but it's hardly able to be ruled out.  Foles doesn't prevent you from taking a QB.  That's not a Kirk Cousins contract, which pretty much prevents it.  They're probably more likely going OT or WR/TE here, with an outside chance of an EDGE going here.

Yeah.  It absolutely doesn't unequivocally rule it out.  But i'll be absolutely floored if the Jaguars end up taking a QB at 7, and that seems to be the consensus among those plugged into the team as well.

You have to recognize that the bolded is hinged on a staff that are hanging on for dear life, hoping for "good enough" QB play to get them back to the playoffs and salvage their jobs and this team they've built to win-now.  A franchise QB a couple years from now doesn't help them at all, if this season doesn't go well.  Their eggs are in the Nick Foles basket, and it'd be absolutely mindboggling if they don't spend every top asset they have trying to reinforce that basket around him.  What "The Jaguars believe"...is what those guys convince themselves of.  Most of the fanbase would probably welcome a potential franchise QB in waiting like Haskins at 7...but the fans aren't calling the shots, and don't have their jobs riding on this season.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Never understood the infatuation with "creative" rankings.  It's not like you get some award for it, and it's not like you're more likely to have success.

It’s called doing your own work. Way harder than just spewing out some form of the consensus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Media got hoodwinked.  Jones to the desert!

for a team who did just draft a QB last year in the first you never see a team who just spent a top 10 pick bring in all the top QBs in the following draft. They are for sure drafting Murray

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

for a team who did just draft a QB last year in the first you never see a team who just spent a top 10 pick bring in all the top QBs in the following draft. They are for sure drafting Murray

Or trading Rosen anyways, Bosa at 1, and Jones or Grier at 33.

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bills have worked out both Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams. Could be a darkhorse/surprise team that trades up.

if they move up to 3 for Williams, Allen i have a feeling will be around 6 or so.

also would love the Bills having all the Josh Allens on the team.