Antonio Brown officially asks for trade - Bills trade falls through

RaidersAreOne

12 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don't think the Steelers would have to pay AB a cent if he wasn't playing by choice.

I risk it unless it's an offer that actually moves the needle. We're talking an all time great WR here. I'd rather have 10 more months to try to hash things out, on the 5% chance it actually works, than trade him for a mid round pick, personally. He's a sunken cost regardless, if dead money wasn't at play then yes I would agree you get whatever you can for him and move on.

They could continue to fine him, and then not cut his regular game checks, for sure. Then go after more of his bonus. It's clearly true they have the money to wait and do that, but why all the drama? Just get what you can for him, and move on.

Now, if they didn't already have JuJu on the roster, I'd be more inclined to agree with you...

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That would be a lot of parachute pants, for sure...

To be fair to Hammer, his heart was in the right place in what he was trying to accomplish with all the money he ended up blowing, but it just wasn't executed in a fiscally smart way.

I see Brown's career quickly fading away in a mediocre NFC team. Unless he orchestrates a trade to New England while he still has a few good years left, Bill Belichick reintroduces the word "team" into his vocabulary, and he salvages his reputation. I wouldn't count on it, but if Randy Moss could do it ...

So AB confirms what most people suspected... The franchise is choosing Ben over everything. It seems as though he's allowed to complain about anything, (including Pitt drafting a QB instead of someone that would help Ben win NOW) but everyone else is held to a different standard. I almost want to see them move on from Ben a year or two early in order to save the integrity of their locker room, but that will obviously never happen.

I'd make some kind of comment about how it's unfortunate when your QB is the biggest diva on the team, but as a Lions fan I'll take 2 rings over 1 playoff win any day.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The Steelers don't have a ton of incentive to trade Brown, but I also can't imagine having 2 different MVP caliber players essentially sitting out a year back to back. Woof.

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The Steelers don't have a ton of incentive to trade Brown, but I also can't imagine having 2 different MVP caliber players essentially sitting out a year back to back. Woof.

Their FO is just Stubborn enough to prove their agenda "Steelers Way" to actually  have that happen. If so they deserve everything dysfunctional  that follows.

I mean they're  talking Transition  Tag for Bell out of spite, you think they want to be seen as catering  to AB demands too or any player?

Gonna be an absolute Circus if he's not traded. Cut bait with both and take your lumps/whatever you can get in return and move on.

12 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

So AB confirms what most people suspected... The franchise is choosing Ben over everything. It seems as though he's allowed to complain about anything, (including Pitt drafting a QB instead of someone that would help Ben win NOW) but everyone else is held to a different standard. I almost want to see them move on from Ben a year or two early in order to save the integrity of their locker room, but that will obviously never happen.

I'd make some kind of comment about how it's unfortunate when your QB is the biggest diva on the team, but as a Lions fan I'll take 2 rings over 1 playoff win any day.

I think you need to find out if Ben was always late to meeting and was not fined.  Or if he held up the team plane and was not punished.  Or FacetimeLived the post game speech after a loss.  Or quit on a team.  there have been numerous reports of AB doing all of these things over YEARS.  It is more on Tomlin not putting his foot down than anything else.

The Steelers cut AB a lot of slack becasue of his ability.  Just like they do with Ben and would do with any player of that caliber.  Big Ben is not perfect but he is not the villain.   If you think there are any teams that would not ignore player issues because of their talent I think you are living in dreamland.  This is all on AB.  He is throwing a temper tantrum and doing it on twitter.

IMHO, AB can not take any criticism or takes any he takes it personally.   This crap about him being a scapegoat for the team loses is the perfect example.

Steelers siding with Big Ben over AB if that is what happened is not surprising at the least. You will always side with very good/elite QB over the elite WR. That isn't even a debate. There was little hope a week or so ago that the Steelers/AB could reconcile things and continue their relationship....Well, fair to say that isn't happening. I'm guessing a deal is reached during the combine when all the teams get together. 

54 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think you need to find out if Ben was always late to meeting and was not fined.  Or if he held up the team plane and was not punished.  Or FacetimeLived the post game speech after a loss.  Or quit on a team.  there have been numerous reports of AB doing all of these things over YEARS.  It is more on Tomlin not putting his foot down than anything else.

The Steelers cut AB a lot of slack becasue of his ability.  Just like they do with Ben and would do with any player of that caliber.  Big Ben is not perfect but he is not the villain.   If you think there are any teams that would not ignore player issues because of their talent I think you are living in dreamland.  This is all on AB.  He is throwing a temper tantrum and doing it on twitter.

IMHO, AB can not take any criticism or takes any he takes it personally.   This crap about him being a scapegoat for the team loses is the perfect example.

I don't know that he's right, but you're just relying on media reports which is exactly what AB is currently whining about. He's being made to look bad in the media (which is true) unjustly, and that others are at fault (which may or may not be true.)

Most teams cut players a lot of slack. Just like Kareem Hunt, teams will make a move if they feel that it is within their interests to do so. The Steelers' current situation with LeVeon Bell also shows how willing teams are to take a stand against productive players. Franchises have all the leverage.

I think that Ben has done at least 2 things worse than AB ever will. I certainly see him as a villain. AB is just selfish. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Steelers siding with Big Ben over AB if that is what happened is not surprising at the least. You will always side with very good/elite QB over the elite WR. That isn't even a debate. There was little hope a week or so ago that the Steelers/AB could reconcile things and continue their relationship....Well, fair to say that isn't happening. I'm guessing a deal is reached during the combine when all the teams get together. 

The problem is that Ben is 36. Brown isn't super young either, so there's no good answer in terms of longevity. The real problem is that the Steelers SHOULD be in a superbowl window with Ben, Brown, Bell and Tomlin. That core should be incredible. All of them will be gone in 2 years or less because franchises have to 'side' with the QB. (To be fair, I think that Ben, Brown and Bell will all fall off or retire at about the same time in 2 years. You 'choose' the QB unless there are years of difference IMO.)

As a total outsider, it seems as though Tomlin is being totally overpowered by all of the drama, and it's snowballing.

14 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Their FO is just Stubborn enough to prove their agenda "Steelers Way" to actually  have that happen. If so they deserve everything dysfunctional  that follows.

I mean they're  talking Transition  Tag for Bell out of spite, you think they want to be seen as catering  to AB demands too or any player?

Gonna be an absolute Circus if he's not traded. Cut bait with both and take your lumps/whatever you can get in return and move on.

I agree with this, especially the bolded. 

It has the potential to be the type of circus that divides the locker room and takes YEARS to rectify. 

Steelers had better pray that if they don't trade him that he doesn't show up to camp. The longer this goes on the less leverage they will have. At some point you need to cut your losses and move on imo. 

5 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't know that he's right, but you're just relying on media reports which is exactly what AB is currently whining about. He's being made to look bad in the media (which is true) unjustly, and that others are at fault (which may or may not be true.)

Most teams cut players a lot of slack. Just like Kareem Hunt, teams will make a move if they feel that it is within their interests to do so. The Steelers' current situation with LeVeon Bell also shows how willing teams are to take a stand against productive players. Franchises have all the leverage.

I think that Ben has done at least 2 things worse than AB ever will. I certainly see him as a villain. AB is just selfish. 

No offense, but pretty much every post you've made on the matter has proven you have next to no knowledge of the facts and are just looking to bash the Steelers and Ben. I'm sure you'll respond with another silly comment about how I'm being supposedly thin-skinned about it, but no, I just think it's ridiculous when people pretend they know what they're talking about when they actually have no clue.

If you want to take Brown's side, so be it, But continuing to make him out to be some kind of victim while Ben is supposedly the real issue is embarrassing. I don't even particularly like Ben, but Brown's Diva attitude has manifested itself both in the locker room and off the field, and has gotten worse the last several years. Guess Ben is to blame for all that too, huh?

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

No offense, but pretty much every post you've made on the matter has proven you have next to no knowledge of the facts and are just looking to bash the Steelers and Ben. I'm sure you'll respond with another silly comment about how I'm being supposedly thin-skinned about it, but no, I just think it's ridiculous when people pretend they know what they're talking about when they actually have no clue.

How is he not supposed to take offense to that? Can we please keep this about football and not each other. kthnxbye.

52 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

How is he not supposed to take offense to that? Can we please keep this about football and not each other. kthnxbye.

Sorry, but if someone is going to talk about something when they are oblivious or ignorant to the facts, Im going to call them on it.    I already pointed out earlier in the thread everything Brown has done, but this guy keeps pushing a false narrative based on his obvious dislike for Ben and the Steelers.     Dislike them all you want, but at least be objective about the situation.       

Archived