A mock with Brown traded to 9ers

Magnus-Viktor

This was on fanspeak, using the defaults, and just taking whoever was available at the 9ers picks (2nd and 3rd rounders)

FA signings:

Deone Bucannon, nickel LB - I want a LB with some coverage ability added to the roster before the draft

Jordan Hicks, LB (1 year prove-it deal - might be a bargain with his injury history) - again, no huge holes going into the draft after signing him

Henry Anderson, DE - I really liked Anderson at Stanford & Alualu is going to be 32 years old.  Depth behind Heyward and Tuitt. 7 sacks last year.

Brent Urban, DE - Similar player to Anderson, but not as disruptive - he's more of a backup LDE

1.  Byron Murphy, CB, Washington - a burner CB to go opposite Haden to replace Burns (what a waste)

2 (9ers).  DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss - I know some people don't like this guy, but he looks like the total package to me. If he's available, I'm all over it.  

2.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida - a S that looks the part and with some serious burst to replace Davis (again, what a waste)

3 (9ers).  Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State - Another burner CB for much needed depth. Remember Haden is going to be 30 and has been injury prone

3.  Vosean Joseph, LB, Florida - another LB with some wheels to provide some range and coverage inside

4.  David Sills, WR, West Virginia - a big, red-zone type target

6.  Emmanuel Hall, WR, Mizzou - a burner WR in the Mike Wallace mold to take the top off the D

6.  Sutton Smith, Edge, Northern Illinois - I don't think he's a 34 OLB, but maybe he can be a blitzing ILB

7.  Matt Gay, K, Utah - kickers weren't in the sim, but I decided to put one here.  

UDFA.  Chris Johnson, S, North Alabama - a 6'3" 200 lbs S with good range.  small school project

UDFA:  Chase Hansen, LB/S, Utah - a former S that moved to LB - ST's guy and 3rd down LB?

UDFA:  Drue Tranquil, LB/S, Notre Dame - same exact thing as Hansen, except he's had more injuries instead of being older

Roster:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs

RB:  James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, FA

FB:  Roosevelt Nix

TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble

WR:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, DK Metcalf 2, David Sills 4, Emmanuel Hall 6, James Washington, Ryan Switzer

LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Chukwuma Okorafor

LG:  Ramon Foster, BJ Finney

C:  Maurkice Pouncey

RG:  David DeCastro, Matt Feiler

RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Zach Banner

DE:  Cameron Heyward, Brent Urban

NT:  Javon Hargrave, Dan McCullers/FA

DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Henry Anderson

OLB:  TJ Watt, Anthony Chickillo

ILB:  LJ Fort, Vosean Joseph 3, Chase Hansen udfa

ILB:  Jordan Hicks, Vince Williams (1st&2nd down)/Deone Bucannon (3rd down), Drue Tranquil udfa

OLB:  Bud Dupree, Sutton Smith 6

CB:  Joe Haden, Kendall Sheffield 3

FS:  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2, Sean Davis, Brian Allen

SS:  Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen, Chris Johnson udfa

CB:  Byron Murphy 1, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton 

Nickel:  Mike Hilton

K:  Matt Gay 7

P:  Jordan Berry

KR/PR:  Ryan Switzer

That draft is close to a best case scenario (aside from not getting a top ILB early), that according to one simulator is possible.

For S&Gs I did one using CBS's rankings, and taking guys available at or close to each pick.  In this one, to me, the value and talent was clearly on the defensive side of the ball.  Probably should've went a different direction than Jelks in 3b since I took Burns at 2a, like Parris Campbell, Emmanuel Hall or Terry McLaurin, to add more speed at WR, but I didn't because I think Jelks could be special and their ball skills/hands aren't exactly what I like out of a WR.  

1.  Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

2.  Brian Burns, OLB, FSU

2.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida

3.  Vosean Joseph, ILB, Florida

3.  Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon

4.  David Sills, WR, West Virginia

6.  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech

6.  Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State

7.  Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo

Most of it is okay except for the WRs.

What is your obsession with drafting WRs?   Its like...every mock you do.

We are never going to have 3 rookie WRs on our active roster....barring injury.

Steelers will absolutely sign a FA if we trade Brown.   They would never go into the draft with that big of a hole.    They MIGHT draft two WRs and bring in a UDFA WR.     If they do that, they will do so likely because they are looking for someone to replace DHB on special teams.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Most of it is okay except for the WRs.

What is your obsession with drafting WRs?   Its like...every mock you do.

We are never going to have 3 rookie WRs on our active roster....barring injury.

Steelers will absolutely sign a FA if we trade Brown.   They would never go into the draft with that big of a hole.    They MIGHT draft two WRs and bring in a UDFA WR.     If they do that, they will do so likely because they are looking for someone to replace DHB on special teams.

I actually liked this one because usually it's TEs. A third WR in the 6th isn't a deal breaker for me. But i would have been fine with almost anything at that point. But no, prolly wouldn't happen.   

27 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I actually liked this one because usually it's TEs. A third WR in the 6th isn't a deal breaker for me. But i would have been fine with almost anything at that point. But no, prolly wouldn't happen.   

My main point is that we will absolutely be signing a veteran FA to at least compete for a job.    I dont really care what position we draft in the 6th either (except Long Snapper...ugh), but my guess is we sign someone to compete for the 2 or 3 spot this year, with Juju taking over as the number 1.    Someone like Golden Tate or Jordan Matthews wouldnt surprise me.  

12 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

This was on fanspeak, using the defaults, and just taking whoever was available at the 9ers picks (2nd and 3rd rounders)

FA signings:

Deone Bucannon, nickel LB - I want a LB with some coverage ability added to the roster before the draft

I am not a fan of this selection. I have seen a few projections with this and it spells or smells like Morgan Burnett part two for us.  I don't think he is a good fit for the Steelers defense. I will continue to say sign Tre Boston and move Tre' Edmunds into this role.  He has the size and speed to do this and is better suited than playing pure SS in my humble opinion.

Jordan Hicks, LB (1 year prove-it deal - might be a bargain with his injury history) - again, no huge holes going into the draft after signing him.

He is the type of MLB that Coach Tomlin likes for his defenses. The injury history is a concern for me. 

Henry Anderson, DE - I really liked Anderson at Stanford & Alualu is going to be 32 years old.  Depth behind Heyward and Tuitt. 7 sacks last year.

Brent Urban, DE - Similar player to Anderson, but not as disruptive - he's more of a backup LDE

Similar players for our defense. I think you sign one or the other.  I would add a big DT or NG.  The MT. McCullers experience should be finished.  We need someone BIG to put next to Hargraves who has shown he can be a beast.

1.  Byron Murphy, CB, Washington - a burner CB to go opposite Haden to replace Burns (what a waste)

2 (9ers).  DK Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss - I know some people don't like this guy, but he looks like the total package to me. If he's available, I'm all over it.  

2.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida - a S that looks the part and with some serious burst to replace Davis (again, what a waste)

That would be a solid three picks.  I would prefer to sign a veteran for our back-end.  I love Tre Boston for our defense.  If there was a MLB here, that is who I would try to draft here. Last year the Steelers missed a chance at drafting Darius Leonard and Fred Warner who could have filled the role in our defense. Could probably use a TE or scat type of RB.

3 (9ers).  Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State - Another burner CB for much needed depth. Remember Haden is going to be 30 and has been injury prone

3.  Vosean Joseph, LB, Florida - another LB with some wheels to provide some range and coverage inside

4.  David Sills, WR, West Virginia - a big, red-zone type target

Solid picks here.  I am doing some film study on David Sills.

6.  Emmanuel Hall, WR, Mizzou - a burner WR in the Mike Wallace mold to take the top off the D

6.  Sutton Smith, Edge, Northern Illinois - I don't think he's a 34 OLB, but maybe he can be a blitzing ILB

7.  Matt Gay, K, Utah - kickers weren't in the sim, but I decided to put one here.  

UDFA.  Chris Johnson, S, North Alabama - a 6'3" 200 lbs S with good range.  small school project

UDFA:  Chase Hansen, LB/S, Utah - a former S that moved to LB - ST's guy and 3rd down LB?

UDFA:  Drue Tranquil, LB/S, Notre Dame - same exact thing as Hansen, except he's had more injuries instead of being older

Roster:

QB:  Ben Roethlisberger, Mason Rudolph, Joshua Dobbs

RB:  James Conner, Jaylen Samuels, FA

If we can draft a speed type of RB to add to Connors and Samuels skills, this could be a nice solid group.

FB:  Roosevelt Nix

TE:  Vance McDonald, Jesse James, Xavier Grimble

I would look to sign a veteran like Maxx Williams here. Grimble is a decent #3, but limited. Outlaw is a perfect back-up, but not good as a starter.  Vance is solid when healthy, but he is rarely fully healthy.  Williams is a guy who could help make an impact at TE and would give us three very good TE's. It might be a little pricey for the position, but I think Vance is a F/A next season and he gives us insurance.

WR:  JuJu Smith-Schuster, DK Metcalf 2, David Sills 4, Emmanuel Hall 6, James Washington, Ryan Switzer

We need another veteran here.  I think they draft one WR. I would be shocked with two, although I think Sills will prove to be a Cooper Kupp type of WR for some team. I like him and have to do more study.

LT:  Alejandro Villanueva, Chukwuma Okorafor

LG:  Ramon Foster, BJ Finney

C:  Maurkice Pouncey

RG:  David DeCastro, Matt Feiler

RT:  Marcus Gilbert, Zach Banner

Will they re-sign Foster? He wants to make more money and BJ Finney is ready for prime time.  I think Marcus Gilbert gets cut and Matt Feiler competes with Chuks for the starting position.

DE:  Cameron Heyward, Brent Urban

NT:  Javon Hargrave, Dan McCullers/FA

DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Henry Anderson

McCullers must go.  I would sign a DT or NG here. Urban or Anderson, not both.

OLB:  TJ Watt, Anthony Chickillo

ILB:  LJ Fort, Vosean Joseph 3, Chase Hansen udfa

ILB:  Jordan Hicks, Vince Williams (1st&2nd down)/Deone Bucannon (3rd down), Drue Tranquil udfa

OLB:  Bud Dupree, Sutton Smith 6

I think Adams or Adeniyi takes over for Chick. Both may make it. They will keep Dirty Red for special teams alone.

CB:  Joe Haden, Kendall Sheffield 3

FS:  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 2, Sean Davis, Brian Allen

SS:  Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen, Chris Johnson udfa

CB:  Byron Murphy 1, Artie Burns, Cameron Sutton 

Nickel:  Mike Hilton

I think Artie is gone.  I would like to see a veteran FS signed. Sutton and Hilton battle for slot. I am not sure that both of them make it. I would like to see Allen step up. He is tall, long and big for CB (6'3 and about 210). He could help tremendously matching up against bigger slot WR's like Keenan Allen or TE's. We need another solid CB to pair with Haden. Does that come via draft or free agency? Either way we need a solid one, two, three and four punch at CB.

K:  Matt Gay 7

P:  Jordan Berry

KR/PR:  Ryan Switzer

I am going to say that Boz becomes a Killer B again. I think they can find a better punter. Berry has trended upward somewhat, but is very average IMO. I would like to see improvements in all facets of special teams.  Switzer returned a punt the previous year (Dallas). He came close on a few KOR's and PR's.  He can be a weapon if utilized and paired with the right people.  Special teams penalties killed the Steelers.

That draft is close to a best case scenario (aside from not getting a top ILB early), that according to one simulator is possible.

For S&Gs I did one using CBS's rankings, and taking guys available at or close to each pick.  In this one, to me, the value and talent was clearly on the defensive side of the ball.  Probably should've went a different direction than Jelks in 3b since I took Burns at 2a, like Parris Campbell, Emmanuel Hall or Terry McLaurin, to add more speed at WR, but I didn't because I think Jelks could be special and their ball skills/hands aren't exactly what I like out of a WR.  

1.  Byron Murphy, CB, Washington

2.  Brian Burns, OLB, FSU

2.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida

3.  Vosean Joseph, ILB, Florida

3.  Jalen Jelks, OLB, Oregon

4.  David Sills, WR, West Virginia

6.  Antoine Wesley, WR, Texas Tech

6.  Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State

7.  Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo

Like many have stated previously, I am not a fan of a bunch of rookie WR's.  They take time to develop and it is too much to expect them to be able to come in and mesh consistently throughout the year and particularly late in the year when most rookies begin to hit the wall both physically and mentally.  If (no when) AB is gone, the Steelers will need to add a veteran to pair next to Ju Ju. The hope is that Washington will make a dramatic improvement. I do believe that he will look like the player we saw in pre-season more than the player we saw in Denver last year.

Good post. I don't like all of the moves, but it was good to get your input.

20 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:
On 2/12/2019 at 9:16 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

I am not a fan of this selection. I have seen a few projections with this and it spells or smells like Morgan Burnett part two for us.  I don't think he is a good fit for the Steelers defense. I will continue to say sign Tre Boston and move Tre' Edmunds into this role.  He has the size and speed to do this and is better suited than playing pure SS in my humble opinion.

@Steeler Hitman I love your opinion of both mine and MV's offseason... thanks for that.

However, I disagree about Buchannon.  I see a better version of Burnett.  I think he is a game changer that is part of subpackage football.  Now, saying that, I would not be against the idea of Boston at FS and Edmunds being in this role, but there has to be a reason that he was an FA all year.  That bothers me.  I am also not ready to give up on Davis.  I think it is wholly unfair to ask him to be a slot year 1, SS year 2, FS year 3, then say he sucks and is no good in year 4.  Let him be the FS.  I remember we were talking in TC last year, and there were times that when Burnett was hurt, Sutton was taking dimebacker reps.  I mean, we have to have a guy or guys that can do that.  Whether it is 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, we need a cover backer/$ guy, whatever.  I'd rather take a guy that I already know can do that then now as a second year guy to change slots and be that guy after being the SS all year.

2 minutes ago, kurgan said:

@Steeler Hitman I love your opinion of both mine and MV's offseason... thanks for that.

However, I disagree about Buchannon.  I see a better version of Burnett.  I think he is a game changer that is part of subpackage football. 

I won't debate your thought of Buchannon.  I just think that we have both Davis or Edmunds who could fill that role and Edmunds seems tailor made for that kind of role in our defense.

Now, saying that, I would not be against the idea of Boston at FS and Edmunds being in this role, but there has to be a reason that he was an FA all year.  That bothers me. 

The Steelers safeties are basically interchangeable.  I would love a back end of Boston and Davis.  I just think it fits well schematically.  I have not read nor heard any rumors about Boston being a bad player, having any types of issues or anything that would be a red flag.  He looks like a great fit for our defense in my humble opinion.  We like who we like.  In fact, I think Boston is a better fit for the Steelers than the more expensive Tyrann Mathieu "Honey Badger."

I am also not ready to give up on Davis.  I think it is wholly unfair to ask him to be a slot year 1, SS year 2, FS year 3, then say he sucks and is no good in year 4.  Let him be the FS. 

I am a huge Davis fan. I have watched him in college at U of MD.  Good guy, high character and a solid skill-set and IQ.  He has been all over the place as a pro and it has hurt his development.  He still has areas that he needs to improve his game and some come from getting more experience, some from just improving his football craft and some are some limitations in his game.  I had hoped he would be another in a storied history of solid Steelers Safties like Clark, Polamalu, Perry, Everett, Shell, Edwards and Wagner.  I am not sure he will get there, but I am rooting for him to have a big 2019.  Maybe the light comes on like it did Keenen Lewis before he bolted the team for the Saints.  Hopefully Davis would stay if that happens.

I remember we were talking in TC last year, and there were times that when Burnett was hurt, Sutton was taking dimebacker reps.  I mean, we have to have a guy or guys that can do that.  Whether it is 4-2-5 or 3-3-5, we need a cover backer/$ guy, whatever.  I'd rather take a guy that I already know can do that then now as a second year guy to change slots and be that guy after being the SS all year.

This position really isn't anything new.  It is essentially an old school Monster Back which the NFL transitioned to an "In the box safety, to now Nickel LB/SS or Tweener. I don't see Edmunds having any problems transitioning there.  The team also has Marcus Allen and Nat Berhe who can fill in there as well, but neither has the combination of size, speed and strength that Edmunds has. It will be interesting to see what happens, but that is just how I am thinking about that position.

Another draft, just for you guys who don't like all my WRs!

Your score is: 25386 (GRADE: C+) 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 20: Metcalf, DK, WR, Mississippi (B)
Round 2 Pick 20: Arcega-Whiteside, JJ, WR, Stanford (B)
Round 3 Pick 19: Johnson, Anthony, WR, Buffalo (A-)
Round 4 Pick 20: Isabella, Andy, WR, Massachusetts (A)
Round 6 Pick 2: Wesley, Antoine, WR, Texas Tech (A+)
Round 6 Pick 19: Hall, Emanuel, WR, Missouri (A+)
Round 7 Pick 5: Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson (A+)

Archived