2019 Mock Draft Thread

Scoundrel

On 2/12/2019 at 9:20 PM, Counselor said:

Thought a collective thread for sharing all of our mocks instead of creating a bunch of individual threads would be a good idea (but what do I know). Post your Broncos Mock Drafts here! I’ll unpin this after the draft and let it fall into oblivion. 

I think that you just wanted to be fancy with mod bad and pin a thread. :P

Mock #1 (not counting Comp picks yet)

Broncos trade down with Redskins

Broncos trade 10 for 15, 76, 2020 3rd

Redskins move ahead of Miami for a QB

1.15- DeAndre Baker CB UGA

2.41- Kaleb McGary OT UW

3.71- Parris Campbell WR OSU

3.76- Easton Stick QB NDSU

4.118- Greg Gaines NT UW

5.137- Isaac Nauta TE UGA

5.145- Khalil Hodge ILB Buffalo

6.168- Marvell Tell lll S USC

Thought I'd attach a link to Spotrac for you mockers. It's a real eye opener. Take a look at the "Multi Year Summary" and our FA's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/cap/

Hard for me to see how QB will be high on our draft position list with all the holes and lack of depth on our roster. Especially when at present we've only got $20 m. cap space and don't have the ability to sign many FA's, not even our own.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Thought I'd attach a link to Spotrac for you mockers. It's a real eye opener. Take a look at the "Multi Year Summary" and our FA's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/cap/

Hard for me to see how QB will be high on our draft position list with all the holes and lack of depth on our roster. Especially when at present we've only got $20 m. cap space and don't have the ability to sign many FA's, not even our own.

I would agree but we have Elway so...

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I would agree but we have Elway so...

Hopefully he realizes his draft approach from last year, BPA, is the only way to go. Our position now is directly related to the miserable draft classes we've had since 2011 with few exceptions and the amazing amount of 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks that were wasted.

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Hopefully he realizes his draft approach from last year, BPA, is the only way to go. Our position now is directly related to the miserable draft classes we've had since 2011 with few exceptions and the amazing amount of 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks that were wasted.

Elway hasn’t drafted any better or worse than any other VPO/GM in the NFL, it just gets nit picked because it’s our team.

The biggest problem in Denver is their inability to get a real QB on the roster.  When your rolling with potentially Osweiler and then Siemian, Lynch, Keenum at QB your not going to win many football games.

Maybe Flacco is the solution, but the continual miss at QB is why this team is where they’re at. 

The notion that Denver is going to have a perfect team with an OL, running, game, offensive weapons, and a top 10 defense before they can select a QB is a pipe dream, Elway will lose his job trying to do that.

19 hours ago, germ-x said:

Elway hasn’t drafted any better or worse than any other VPO/GM in the NFL, it just gets nit picked because it’s our team.

The biggest problem in Denver is their inability to get a real QB on the roster.  When your rolling with potentially Osweiler and then Siemian, Lynch, Keenum at QB your not going to win many football games.

Maybe Flacco is the solution, but the continual miss at QB is why this team is where they’re at. 

The notion that Denver is going to have a perfect team with an OL, running, game, offensive weapons, and a top 10 defense before they can select a QB is a pipe dream, Elway will lose his job trying to do that.

Thats a part of it, and not the largest part. We  have one drafted player from 2011 (miller) and 2012 (Wolfe) on the roster. None from 2013. We're about to lose our last two from 2014, Paradis and Roby and the last from and the same for 2015 with Ray, Garcia and Heuermann. We probably won't even get a comp pick for any of these guys outside of maybe Paradis and Roby..

Thats 2 players that will still be on the roster from a 5 year draft period. One of 'em, Miller will cost us $25 mil each of the next two years, hardly a bargain.

Over half our OL will be gone, our once vaunted secondary is anybodys guess. Our ILB's need help and we're losing alot of depth at OLB. D Line needs some depth badly. Our TE's have about  5 starts combined and our top WR's are rookies. 

So, tell me. How is it that we'd be okay if Lynch had worked out and turned into Aaron Rodgers? 

Poor drafts, inability to target and retain key personnel, overpaying for marginal vets, etc all play a huge part. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Thats a part of it, and not the largest part. We  have one drafted player from 2011 (miller) and 2012 (Wolfe) on the roster. None from 2013. We're about to lose our last two from 2014, Paradis and Roby and the last from and the same for 2015 with Ray, Garcia and Heuermann. We probably won't even get a comp pick for any of these guys outside of maybe Paradis and Roby..

Thats 2 players that will still be on the roster from a 5 year draft period. One of 'em, Miller will cost us $25 mil each of the next two years, hardly a bargain.

Over half our OL will be gone, our once vaunted secondary is anybodys guess. Our ILB's need help and we're losing alot of depth at OLB. D Line needs some depth badly. Our TE's have about  5 starts combined and our top WR's are rookies. 

So, tell me. How is it that we'd be okay if Lynch had worked out and turned into Aaron Rodgers? 

Poor drafts, inability to target and retain key personnel, overpaying for marginal vets, etc all play a huge part. 

Obviously it’s a collective, but this team would’ve been a playoff team last year with a competent QB, would’ve been a playoff team in every year post Peyton Manning, with a competent QB.

Further, the nature of the NFL is to lose players, teams turnover 3/4s of their rosters every offseason, whether a guy just didn’t pan out or overpriced themselves is the nature of the business, it’s not necessarily ALL because of poor drafting and between 2011-2014 I looked at the Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, and Rams drafts and those teams only had 4-5 guys that were starting or high snap count players left on the roster heading into this offseason.  Denver was at 4 with Miller, Wolfe, Paradis, and Roby and are in the same spot as these other teams needing to weigh whether or not to bring some guys back.

Like I said it gets nit picky because it’s our team, but Elway hasn’t drafted nearly as bad as most here think.  The vast majority of  teams in the league only have 1-2 guys left on the roster from the 2011 or 2012 drafts.

17 hours ago, germ-x said:

Obviously it’s a collective, but this team would’ve been a playoff team last year with a competent QB, would’ve been a playoff team in every year post Peyton Manning, with a competent QB.

Further, the nature of the NFL is to lose players, teams turnover 3/4s of their rosters every offseason, whether a guy just didn’t pan out or overpriced themselves is the nature of the business, it’s not necessarily ALL because of poor drafting and between 2011-2014 I looked at the Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers, and Rams drafts and those teams only had 4-5 guys that were starting or high snap count players left on the roster heading into this offseason.  Denver was at 4 with Miller, Wolfe, Paradis, and Roby and are in the same spot as these other teams needing to weigh whether or not to bring some guys back.

Like I said it gets nit picky because it’s our team, but Elway hasn’t drafted nearly as bad as most here think.  The vast majority of  teams in the league only have 1-2 guys left on the roster from the 2011 or 2012 drafts.

I don't necessarily agree with this. It may be true that other teams don't have many players still on the roster from those drafts, but Elway didn't have much in the way of contribution from players throughout some of those draft classes, which caused us to lean heavier on FA than we should have. 

2011- Miller, Julius Thomas, and Orlando Franklin were good picks. The rest were minor contributors or didn't contribute consistently.

2012- Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan, were good picks. Some good contribution from Hillman and Bolden occasionally, same with Brock.

2013- Draft was a complete disaster

2014- Roby and Paradis were good, but this is where I'd expect we start having more players with extended contracts and right now we don't.

2015- Yuck, not a good draft at all. 

2016-Mixed bag. Gotsis has been okay. Simmons, McGovern, Parks, Booker- same, all just kinda average backups. Lynch was a flop. Not the best draft.

2017- Bolles average, rest of the draft was a disaster

2018- Strong draft, best of his tenure so far.

3 drafts that were unmitigated disasters, no extended contributors from 2014 on. 2018 is still a TBD, but in my mind, this is not really a great picture of Elway's abilities.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I don't necessarily agree with this. It may be true that other teams don't have many players still on the roster from those drafts, but Elway didn't have much in the way of contribution from players throughout some of those draft classes, which caused us to lean heavier on FA than we should have. 

2011- Miller, Julius Thomas, and Orlando Franklin were good picks. The rest were minor contributors or didn't contribute consistently.

2012- Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan, were good picks. Some good contribution from Hillman and Bolden occasionally, same with Brock.

2013- Draft was a complete disaster

2014- Roby and Paradis were good, but this is where I'd expect we start having more players with extended contracts and right now we don't.

2015- Yuck, not a good draft at all. 

2016-Mixed bag. Gotsis has been okay. Simmons, McGovern, Parks, Booker- same, all just kinda average backups. Lynch was a flop. Not the best draft.

2017- Bolles average, rest of the draft was a disaster

2018- Strong draft, best of his tenure so far.

3 drafts that were unmitigated disasters, no extended contributors from 2014 on. 2018 is still a TBD, but in my mind, this is not really a great picture of Elway's abilities.

I am not saying Elway hasn’t had some bad drafts, he has.  But in the context of all NFL he isn’t any different than anyone else in that regard.  

Elway has put together a playoff caliber roster since the day he took over in Denver, he’s been plenty good enough in the draft and free agency.  If you asked any fan for any team in any professional sport they would say their teams could draft better, it’s not a perfect science.

Where he has failed miserably and the MOST concerning part of his abilities post Peyton Manning is at the QB position.  It’s been, dud after dud, after dud at that position and that position alone has almost single handily prevented Denver from being a playoff team.  I’m not worried about his ability to bring in offensive or defensive talent, he’s proven more than capable on that regard.  I’m worried about his ability to get a legitimate QB in the building.  

Archived