Bills sign C Spencer Long to 3-year, $13M deal

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25980647/bills-sign-spencer-long-was-released-jets-last-week

He was cut by the Jets after one year of a four-year deal last week.

As for the Bills....WHY? He was SO BAD for the Jets! One of the games we won against the Jets this season pretty much only happened because Spencer Long botched like a dozen snaps in that game. He's on okay blocker if you don't mind a Center not being good at actually snapping the ball, so maybe he has value to move to Guard or something but, why a 3-year pact? He deserved nothing more than a 1-year prove it deal.

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Gotta be better than Ryan Groy and Jerimiah Sirles. 

I remember last offseason whenever someone mocked a center to the Bills, it was met with something like "this guy doesnt know anything, we have Ryan Groy!!"

I hope we have all learned a valuable lesson.

He was bad when he moved to guard after Carpenter went down.  So basically he's not that good when healthy and is always injured.

If it was for backup money great but 3/13 is way too much for him.

When the Jets who are desperate for OL help cut you after 1 season you know it's not good for you.

50 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I remember last offseason whenever someone mocked a center to the Bills, it was met with something like "this guy doesnt know anything, we have Ryan Groy!!"

I hope we have all learned a valuable lesson.

The Rams offered Groy a contract and the Bills matched it so we extended Sullivan and resigned Blythe. Dodged a bullet there, even though we could still bring in Groy, he did well with Kromer in the past.

So in reality, it's basically a 1 year deal for just over a $1m with 0 dead cap if the Bills cut him before March 17th and just over a million thereafter. With 2 years of team options with no guarantees.

I can't be bothered to write it all out, but Mike Rodak breaks it down on Twitter over multiple tweets for anyone interested.

If anyone can actually follow it, I applaud you. It's a work of contracting art.

22 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

He was bad when he moved to guard after Carpenter went down.  So basically he's not that good when healthy and is always injured.

If it was for backup money great but 3/13 is way too much for him.

When the Jets who are desperate for OL help cut you after 1 season you know it's not good for you.

You did have a pretty terrible OL coach last year though.

But like it was posted earlier, its a 1 year deal worth pennies for a team with as much cap space as the Bills have.

Archived