Is Philip Rivers a HoF QB?

Danger

Rivers HoF?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Does Philip Rivers belong in the NFL Hall of Fame?

• Yes, First Ballot
    • Yes, after a few years
    • Yes, after many years
    • No, never.

2 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Says the guy who said Cam and Ryan, based on 1 season have more of a case for HOF than Rivers. Thank God voters look at body of career and not 1 outlier season of a career. I suspect you wont be getting an invite anytime soon to be a HOF voter. You also said Ryan and Rivers have the same stats. 

I’m a Patriots fan. How does saying Ryan and Cam’s MVP season give them better chances make me a homer lol? 

Also thank god you don’t know a thing about HOF voters 

But by all means keeping talking about his Pro Bowls lol 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I’m a Patriots fan. How does saying Ryan and Cam’s MVP season give them better chances make me a homer lol? 

Also thank god you don’t know a thing about HOF voters 

But by all means keeping talking about his Pro Bowls lol 

Didn't say you were a homer. Just that your "homer alert" claim coming from a guy who seems to believe HOF careers are made on 1 season... which all trends point to an "outlier" season has no real leg to stand on to question other people.

I dont wanna take over this thread.  So ill keep my responses in the other thread we already have.

Not IMO. 

Phillip Rivers will retire with some great, great numbers but he has never been amongst the best QBs in the league. He was never pushing Brady, Manning, Brees, and Rodgers. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t put him in. His lack of any signature postseason run or MVPs are just icing.

Rivers is an awesome QB and he had a career that plenty QBs would kill for. But not a HOFer in my eyes.

Just now, Bearerofnews said:

Didn't say you were a homer. Just that your "homer alert" claim coming from a guy who seems to believe HOF careers are made on 1 season... which all trends point to an "outlier" season has no real leg to stand on to question other people.

I dont wanna take over this thread.  So ill keep my responses in the other thread we already have.

You’re a Chargers fan arguing that Rivers has a better case for the HOF than guys who have an MVP when he doesn’t, an All Prom when he doesn’t, a Super Bowl appearance when he doesn’t and will equally have stat records (Ryan is virtually the same statistically as Rivers and Cam will own all QB rushing stats). And I don’t even think they are locks for the Hall, but they have higher end accolades that have historically mattered to voters.

Your basis for this is Pro Bowl’s and that he’s put up numbers where at least 9 players whose career overlapped with him will finish top 10 (and hint they all aren’t getting in the Hall).

So year, you’re a homer. You aren’t being reasonable and you are overvaluing things that will not have much of an impact. You’re not accounting for era, or the abundance of QB’s coming up, the back logs at other positions, stat inflation, QB’s who finished high in career stats that didn’t make it, what Rivers lacks in comparison to other HOF QB’s, etc. You pinned your entire argument to two things that are contextually weak and then acting like the context won’t matter. It’s an incredibly biased argument and I can’t imagine anyone who wasn’t emotionally invested in the outcome would go on and on and on about it. So there is no doubt in my mind that it’s a complete homer argument. 

I have literally no reason to not want Rivers in the HOF. In fact, I’d rather he got in over several guys who will. However, I have to be objective 

For context. 

Ken Stabler. 

Super Bowl Champion 

League MVP: 1974

First Team All Pro: 1974, 1976

1970’s All Decade Team (HOF voters have been on record saying this matters)

Stabler retired in 1984. He made the Hall in 2016 a year after he died. 

Philip Rivers has exactly zero of those things to his resume 

8 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Matt Ryan and Cam in 19 seasons combined have 5 probowls. Rivers alone has 8.

Matt Ryan and Cam in 19 seasons combined have 2 seasons with over 100 passer rating, Rivers has 5.

Matt Ryan and Cam in 19 seasons combined have 9 seasons with 4000 yds passing and 8 seasons with 25 passing tds.

Rivers has 10 and 11 in both categories. Will likely retire top 4 in all major stats. He is 1 of 13 qbs with 8 or more probowls. All 12 of those are in or will be (Peyton, Brady and Brees).

Rivers is going to the HOF. The voters arent fickle and voted based off 1 season, which is really silliest thing ive heard.

If you can remove 1 season from a players career and they arent in the HOF or discussion, than they arent HOFers. Just that simple really.

It's crazy how Rivers is being talked about in this thread, thanks for some actual context.

Archived