Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

champ11

Just now, thebestever6 said:

If Foles gets traded to the Jags for at least a 3rd will that change peoples views of the flacco trade who don't like it?

I think it will make me dislike the Flacco trade even more. A third for A super bowl winning QB more recently and more productive than Flacco has been. 

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

I think it will make me dislike the Flacco trade even more. A third for A super bowl winning QB more recently and more productive than Flacco has been. 

I just don't see it that way. Foles has had the perfect circumstances the last two years from line play top 5, to weapons, to an excellent head coach who got the best out of him. When he didn't have Alshon the first couple weeks he struggled. 

That's so hard to keep all those variables going to a new team that trades for him. Annnddd they will have to pay him 25 mill a year, and he himself has just as much injury history as flacco. I don't see Foles being able to be a 16 game starter or wouldn't bet on it.

I think the team that pays a 3rd + for Foles will regret it. The flacco trade has a lot better chance of being a hit.  Trading for Foles is risky. 

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I just don't see it that way. Foles has had the perfect circumstances the last two years from line play top 5, to weapons, to an excellent head coach who got the best out of him. When he didn't have Alshon the first couple weeks he struggled. 

That's so hard to keep all those variables going to a new team that trades for him. Annnddd they will have to pay him 25 mill a year, and he himself has just as much injury history as flacco. I don't see Foles being able to be a 16 game starter or wouldn't bet on it.

I think the team that pays a 3rd + for Foles will regret it. The flacco trade has a lot better chance of being a hit.  Trading for Foles is risky. 

We will just have to agree to disagree on this part 

I've watched Foles play the last two years. He is clutch in big games can't take that away from him. But being a spot starter is a lot easier than a 16 game season.

I'd bet a lot of money that Flacco has a better chance of being comeback player of the year this year than Foles does maintaining his level of play from Philly.  

There's not many teams that have a great coach, top 5 oline, A top 3 te, a lengthy number 1 possession wr, Golden  Tate, a very good rookie te that was the second te. Foles is almost surely gonna revert back to his mean.

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I've watched Foles play the last two years. He is clutch in big games can't take that away from him. But being a spot starter is a lot easier than a 16 game season.

I'd bet a lot of money that Flacco has a better chance of being comeback player of the year this year than Foles does maintaining his level of play from Philly.  

There's not many teams that have a great coach, top 5 oline, A top 3 te, a lengthy number 1 possession wr, Golden  Tate, a very good rookie te that was the second te. Foles is almost surely gonna revert back to his mean.

I don’t think he will be amazing. But I do believe he will be better than Flacco

22 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I don’t think he will be amazing. But I do believe he will be better than Flacco

Well at 25 million compared to 18.5 for Flacco at a (3rd round pick compensation) minimum compared to the 4th for Flacco. 6 mill is a huge difference in compensation, and the pick is huge a 3rd round is so much more Valuable than a 4th to me.

I just don't see Foles being significantly better than Flacco which would be required of you prefer him to Flacco

Last year Foles in an ideal situation besides a great ground game due to Jay getting injured, and Clement. Still feel like Sproles and Josh adams are underrated.  But foles was 19th on pro football focus at a 76.6 grade.

Flacco was 22nd in pff grade at 72 even and Foles was in a lot better of a situation.  Flaccos number 1 was Brown or Crabtree. You could argue Nelson Agholor or Golden tate are in that tier. Alshon is a top 20 wr. Ertz a top 3 te, Doug Pederson is a far better offensive mind then anyone flacco had to work with. 

I really don't think the Bronco's spent much time looking at Foles. It's really just a risk/reward situation.  Both QB's come with question marks. For Foles, never appearing in more than 11 games in a season is a biggie. With Joe, can he get past the nagging injuries that have hit him each of the last 4 years?

Which QB is better is also subject to interpretation and point of view. There's no clear cut winner there.

What it comes down to is money. We get Joe for 3 years at a very reasonable compensation rate of $21m per year average. No guarantees and we can cut him at any time.

Foles is a different story. You're going to have to renegotiate his expiring contract and that won't be cheap. You'll also want to make a 4+ year commitment with lots of guaranteed bucks. 

Financially it's just a no brainer. It's a minor commitment, financially and roster wise for Joe. If he doesn't work out we cut him and move on. If Foles doesn't work out you're in cap hell for quite a while and tied to him as your long term starter.

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I really don't think the Bronco's spent much time looking at Foles. It's really just a risk/reward situation.  Both QB's come with question marks. For Foles, never appearing in more than 11 games in a season is a biggie. With Joe, can he get past the nagging injuries that have hit him each of the last 4 years?

Which QB is better is also subject to interpretation and point of view. There's no clear cut winner there.

What it comes down to is money. We get Joe for 3 years at a very reasonable compensation rate of $21m per year average. No guarantees and we can cut him at any time.

Foles is a different story. You're going to have to renegotiate his expiring contract and that won't be cheap. You'll also want to make a 4+ year commitment with lots of guaranteed bucks. 

Financially it's just a no brainer. It's a minor commitment, financially and roster wise for Joe. If he doesn't work out we cut him and move on. If Foles doesn't work out you're in cap hell for quite a while and tied to him as your long term starter.

I agree with all of this factor in you have to give up a minimum of a 3rd for Foles. And it's kind of an easy choice. 

Foles had been in a perfect environment in Philly. Whenever Foles had success in his career he had a top 5 oline and good to great weapons.  Problem is thats hard to duplicate whatever team picks him up. Especially now, assuming you're gonna have to give solid pick compensation at least a 3rd and 25 million a year.

I'm not saying Flacco is gonna work its too early to tell. But he did have his career year in a Kubiak offense which is similar to this. It be nice if Troy Fumagalli hits as a decent receiving blocking te. And we can pair him with a good one early in the draft. Having 2 capable tes will be huge running heavy personel and such. That will help scheme versatility. That and Sutton is a perfect Flacco type of wr. 

56 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I agree with much of what they said about it being a marginal upgrade at best and that we should still be looking to the draft for our QBOTF.

Don't think anyone is disputing that Flacco is not the long term answer - what this trade does do is allow Elway flexibility. If he sees a QB at 1.10 that he wants then he can take him - if not he can take BPA and wait until next year when there is reputed to be a better crop of QBs.

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Don't think anyone is disputing that Flacco is not the long term answer - what this trade does do is allow Elway flexibility. If he sees a QB at 1.10 that he wants then he can take him - if not he can take BPA and wait until next year when there is reputed to be a better crop of QBs.

I think if a qb doesn't fall to pick 10 that elway wants he's got to try to trade down to get some future assets. Say Pittsburgh absolutely falls in love with white and hes there at 10 he needs to trade down and try to get a future first. 

Because we're gonna need some ammo if we're a playoff team to trade up for a qb.

49 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Good point, I also wouldn't be too surprised to see him take a later rd QB, knowing he's a year or two away. I was browsing the QB's the other day and guys like Thorsen caught my eye for that category. Big, strong armed, accurate but hasn't learned to play the game.

I'll bet some of our posters could provide a few names that might fit. We've got some damn good college talent evaluators in this forum. I'd be interested in hearing from some of them.

Archived