Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

champ11

39 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think if a qb doesn't fall to pick 10 that elway wants he's got to try to trade down to get some future assets. Say Pittsburgh absolutely falls in love with white and hes there at 10 he needs to trade down and try to get a future first. 

Because we're gonna need some ammo if we're a playoff team to trade up for a qb.

I disagree with trading out of the top 10. Thats where you can get truly elite talent. If Whites there and we don't grab him or a top CB we've missed the boat.

I know I'd posted that our secondary wasn't top priority but I'm kinda changing my mind. Our cupboards gonna be pretty bare in a month. FA should tell us a lot about where our draft is heading.

9 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I disagree with trading out of the top 10. Thats where you can get truly elite talent. If Whites there and we don't grab him or a top CB we've missed the boat.

I know I'd posted that our secondary wasn't top priority but I'm kinda changing my mind. Our cupboards gonna be pretty bare in a month. FA should tell us a lot about where our draft is heading.

I think if you trade down in the 20s there will be talent in a need position.  Adderly, Fant, Irv Smith, a nice olineman. 

If we don't get a qb at 10 we're gonna need a plan to get one next year. It just is the way it is. Otherwise it truly is gonna be a treadmill situation this team is in.

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think if you trade down in the 20s there will be talent in a need position.  Adderly, Fant, Irv Smith, a nice olineman. 

If we don't get a qb at 10 we're gonna need a plan to get one next year. It just is the way it is. Otherwise it truly is gonna be a treadmill situation this team is in.

We'll have to disagree on this one. 

Not singing Flacco's praises by any means. But I think our particular offense will be more effective with him. Keenum has one of the worst deep balls in the league. And our best offensive player is Phillip Lindsay. By the end of the season, teams were blatantly selling the farm to stop him, and Keenum didn't have the arm talent to make them pay for it. For as average as Joe Flacco is across the board, the dude can drop a ball into a barrel at 60 yards. Try stacking 8-9 guys in the box against him and Sutton on a play action fake and see what happens. Is he a perminant fix? No. But do I think he will make life a whole lot easier for Lindsay? Yup. 

The issue in this move isn’t the trade for Flacco.  An early 4th round pick for Flacco, who is an upgrade over Keenum, and also on a reasonable contract without any guaranteed money left is fair value.  Basically Denver has Flacco on a yearly basis and if he plays well can choose to keep him or move on without any financial penalty.

The problem with this trade is Case Keenum and the ridiculous contract he was given last year as a 1 year wonder with limited physical gifts.  Now Denver HAS to cut him if they want any ability to go out and get some decent free agents, but doing so hurts them financially next season, making Keenum cost this team for not just 2 years, but 3, with his $10M in dead cap rolling into next year.

14 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think if a qb doesn't fall to pick 10 that elway wants he's got to try to trade down to get some future assets. Say Pittsburgh absolutely falls in love with white and hes there at 10 he needs to trade down and try to get a future first. 

Because we're gonna need some ammo if we're a playoff team to trade up for a qb.

I don't think Pittsburgh choice will be TOP 15 next year.

2 first round between 15/20 is not an answer to trade up in 2020 for QBOTF. You can reach the 4th pick max not top 3. If the crop of QBs is really impressive you can bet some teams trade up into top 3 to secure a pick.

Trade down yes but with a team that we have a chance will be TOP 10 next year. Washington/carolina/Miami or a team like Arizona  who have already a QB and want a impact player with their 1.1 pick + an additional player this year

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

I don't think Pittsburgh choice will be TOP 15 next year.

2 first round between 15/20 is not an answer to trade up in 2020 for QBOTF. You can reach the 4th pick max not top 3. If the crop of QBs is really impressive you can bet some teams trade up into top 3 to secure a pick.

Trade down yes but with a team that we have a chance will be TOP 10 next year. Washington/carolina/Miami or a team like Arizona  who have already a QB and want a impact player with their 1.1 pick + an additional player this year

You're right those teams are more sure things to pick with a top 15 selection next year.

I still think Steelers have an outside chance at a top 10. Between the Ab drama, Tomlin coaching for his job, big ben older and stayed injury free last year he's due, their oline coach being with us. . 

I could see their pick in the 20s or top 10 next year. 

No one saw the Jags imploding like they did this year to get a top 7 pick after an afc title game. Raiders didn't see bears being better than the niners  thats why they traded Mack to Chicago.  That didn't work out. I don't try to project too much a lot can change. 

15 hours ago, germ-x said:

The issue in this move isn’t the trade for Flacco.  An early 4th round pick for Flacco, who is an upgrade over Keenum, and also on a reasonable contract without any guaranteed money left is fair value.  Basically Denver has Flacco on a yearly basis and if he plays well can choose to keep him or move on without any financial penalty.

The problem with this trade is Case Keenum and the ridiculous contract he was given last year as a 1 year wonder with limited physical gifts.  Now Denver HAS to cut him if they want any ability to go out and get some decent free agents, but doing so hurts them financially next season, making Keenum cost this team for not just 2 years, but 3, with his $10M in dead cap rolling into next year.

Yup......I would be shocked if the Broncos can actually pull off a trade. Teams know they have to cut him 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Yup......I would be shocked if the Broncos can actually pull off a trade. Teams know they have to cut him 

Wrong. With a trade they can cut him with no dead money during the season.

If Denver cut him the new team would have a guarantee money in his contract.

Keenum is proven back up and journeyman . This type of players is important if your starter is out 3/4 games you can save a season.

Many team will be a suitor for him. I still think we can trade Keenum for a 6th or 7th rounder to Arizona.

We save money in trading him mor than cut him and Kingsbury have his guy for a backup who know him 

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

Keenum is proven back up and journeyman . This type of players is important if your starter is out 3/4 games you can save a season.

Many team will be a suitor for him. I still think we can trade Keenum for a 6th or 7th rounder to Arizona.

We save money in trading him mor than cut him and Kingsbury have his guy for a backup who know him 

So a team trading for him would still have to take on his salary? That's way too high? I don't understand the minutia of trading his contract but I still don't see anyone lining up to pay him, even if it isn't guaranteed, unless they can get him to agree to re-work his deal...which I had heard Arizona was interested in. 

21 minutes ago, champ11 said:

So a team trading for him would still have to take on his salary? That's way too high? I don't understand the minutia of trading his contract but I still don't see anyone lining up to pay him, even if it isn't guaranteed, unless they can get him to agree to re-work his deal...which I had heard Arizona was interested in. 

Quite simply, Case is under contract to us this year for $21m, $10m of which is guaranteed. I doubt very much if anyone would be willing to trade for Case and pay him $21m.

More likely in a trade, we'd pick up the $10m guaranteed and the other team would pay him $11m.

18 hours ago, French Fan said:

I agree with this. It's so weird in the NFL right now that very few teams require a starting QB. Teams either have a quality starter, a player tied down to a big contract or a young QB is still to be determined.

However, there is a desperate shortage on dependable backup QBs. It's how players like Josh McCown and Chase Daniel get big contracts. I think Arizona would be a great landing spot for Case as you have mentioned.

I would be surprised if we can't fetch a 6th rounder for him. Still doesn't excuse the contract we gave him ...

Many people were surprised by Denver’s decision to trade for quarterback Joe Flacco, but none were more surprised than quarterback Case Keenum.

Keenum: “Elway called me that morning and we had a great conversation, which he didn’t have to do — I appreciated that. It was definitely a shock. It was a surprise for us. For us, we’re definitely disappointed. It’s not something we wanted to happen. I know everybody is doing their job and John feels like it was a chance to help the Broncos out. It’s really open-ended right now [if I leave Denver], we don’t know what’s going to happen. This is still very fresh. A lot of these emotions we’re talking about are still going on and still happening. Who knows what’s going to be in store? I don’t, for sure.”

However it plays out, Keenum will make at least $7 million this year. Which means that, if Keenum is released, a new team could sign Keenum for at or near the six-figure league minimum, putting the Broncos on the hook for the rest.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/21/case-keenum-was-shocked-by-trade-for-joe-flacco/

I think Keenum will be traded this Spring. The Vikings may want him back as a back-up right now. Keenum may make a deal to take the league minumin plus his $7M and sense Denver is paying $3M of that, them paying $5M or less for a insurance policy that already knows their system, may sound appealing to them?

Flacco is 34 years old and has a very strong arm, How old was Manning when we signed him in 2011? Seems to me that he was older an coming of several surgeries on his neck. True, Flacco probably isn't as good of QB as Manning was but he still COULD be pretty good for us for two or three years or more.

I am one of those who see the glass as half full rather than half empty, but I think the Flacco trade will be a good trade for us.

On 2/22/2019 at 11:03 PM, kansas bob said:

I think Keenum will be traded this Spring. The Vikings may want him back as a back-up right now. Keenum may make a deal to take the league minumin plus his $7M and sense Denver is paying $3M of that, them paying $5M or less for a insurance policy that already knows their system, may sound appealing to them?

Flacco is 34 years old and has a very strong arm, How old was Manning when we signed him in 2011? Seems to me that he was older an coming of several surgeries on his neck. True, Flacco probably isn't as good of QB as Manning was but he still COULD be pretty good for us for two or three years or more.

I am one of those who see the glass as half full rather than half empty, but I think the Flacco trade will be a good trade for us.

Pff goes into great detail about how bad our passing has been outside of Manning over the last 13 years, and why Flacco is a continuation of that

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-why-broncos-should-still-look-at-a-qb-in-the-first-round-of-the-draft

Flacco has been terrible for 5 out of the last 6 years he's started. Now he's 34 and he's had numerous injury issues. I just don't understand why people that that he's a clear upgrade over Keenum. Is his superbowl run from 6 years ago still clouding fan's judgment? That player is gone and he will never be close to that again.

According to this chart on deep passing from last year, Flacco was a WORSE deep passer than Keenum:

https://brickwallblitz.com/2019/02/22/the-2018-19-deep-ball-project-part-1-3/

IMO, this trade was horrible. We gave up a 4th round pick for a crappy QB when we already had an equivalent player on our roster. Hopefully we draft a QB high this year and Flacco is gone after 2019.

Archived