Jump to content
champ11

Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I actually think he is a tremendous upgrade over Case. Its still the Case contract biting us in the butt. We look like fools right now paying these two guys. One is a backup and should be making 4-5M, the other was benched and should be a guy you take a flyer on after he is cut. Instead we are paying millions upon millions for them.

Flacco has a big arm but is a statue at this point, and we have little cash to spend on upgrading the OL.

Well Case is as good as gone. That's being reported every where; they're going to try to trade him but if they don't get any takers they'll release him. The plan, according to Schefter, is also to "re-work" Flacco's deal to make it more team-friendly. 

And, unsurprising to most of us around here, Klis was right last month when he predicted an "aggressive offseason." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to see what Elway does with case and that Flacco contract in order to give this trade a better grade but it seems like a c move for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well Case is as good as gone. That's being reported every where; they're going to try to trade him but if they don't get any takers they'll release him. The plan, according to Schefter, is also to "re-work" Flacco's deal to make it more team-friendly. 

And, unsurprising to most of us around here, Klis was right last month when he predicted an "aggressive offseason." 

I don't mind Flacco...I figured there would be a wash between trading for Flacco and getting rid of Keenum; not sure who would want to trade for Keenum, especially if you know he probably getting released.  Nevertheless, Flacco is an upgrade...sure we can compare the stats and perhaps they are comparable...but, Flacco does not have a noodle arm; I think we all experienced that in the 2012.  Plus, he seems to do really well in the WCO and since getting Spangurellaeiou...he will probably placate to his strengths. 

With all of that said...I still hope they draft Lock, because he can sit, and with Flacco's recent injury history Lock might get some exposure while learning on the job.  

Not a bad move by Elway really.  He said he'd be aggressive in finding the long-term solution at QB. Sometimes you gotta go extreme to do so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, wackywabbit said:

I'm telling you... Flacco will be in Denver and he'll have them back in the playoffs in 2019. What's the point of getting 7-8 wins in 2019, still not being in position for a top-5 draft talent and wasting a year of prime Miller-Chubb. Keenum costs basically the same as Flacco (although you'd take some dead cap from his signing bonus) and Flacco's contract carries 0 long term burden, as you can move to a successor at any time with 0 dead cap. The young cheap talent window goes away real fast.

A new coaching staff is a given. If you get Kubiak back on the sideline, Flacco makes even more sense as the vet.

^This is what I said in December

Move makes perfect sense. The Kubiak thing was probably plan A, but the rest of the situation is a great fit.

Edited by wackywabbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Breaking:

Broncos have also traded for Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill and Eli Manning.

Elway stated he was going to have a QB battle through training camp and into 4th game of the season.  "We decided to throw a lot of darts at the problem instead of just one or two.  It's just time to get this right,"  Elway was quoted as saying.  

Including Flacco, Bronco's have traded both 4's and both 5's for QBs in 2019.

Salary cap details to come.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elway is expected to try and trade Keenam now, but seems to me he just lost any negotiating power with this announcement. Looks more likely we'll just cut Case and take the dead money. What does acquiring Flacco do to our FA money this year ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benjamin Allbright‏ @AllbrightNFL

Keep an eye on Arizona for a potential Case Keenum trade.

The idea would be to bring Keenum in and extend him with a lower salary cap number as a long term backup. Kingsbury was Keenum's QB coach and co-OC at university of Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Flacco's salary is a very reasonable $18.5 m this year, escalating to $20.25/2020 and $24.25/2021. No guarantees at all. He can be cut any time with no financial repercussions. 

With Keenum we just need to cut him and eat $10 mil this year. Not a bad year to do that.

I don't mind this at all. The Case experiment didn't work and rather than continue it we cut ties and brought in a legit NFL starter with 0 financial risk. I'd expect to see us draft a developmental QB, expecting to see him take over in 2020 or 2021. We bought time here, 3 years, and won't be pigeonholed into over drafting a QB at 10 and tossing him into the fire this year.

With Flaccos' arm, don't expect to see teams stacking the box to stop the run. Unlike Case, Flacco can make them pay dearly.

I like the move.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it for Denver. Obviously a lot depends on what you gave up. Did you go Full Alex Smith or get away with a day 3 pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

So Flacco's salary is a very reasonable $18.5 m this year, escalating to $20.25/2020 and $24.25/2021. No guarantees at all. He can be cut any time with no financial repercussions. 

With Keenum we just need to cut him and eat $10 mil this year. Not a bad year to do that.

I don't mind this at all. The Case experiment didn't work and rather than continue it we cut ties and brought in a legit NFL starter with 0 financial risk. I'd expect to see us draft a developmental QB, expecting to see him take over in 2020 or 2021. We bought time here, 3 years, and won't be pigeonholed into over drafting a QB at 10 and tossing him into the fire this year.

With Flaccos' arm, don't expect to see teams stacking the box to stop the run. Unlike Case, Flacco can make them pay dearly.

I like the move.

 

 

 

I don't like the move as is but I think I could come to like the move. If elway can get Flacco  to restructure and even get him cheaper along with dumping case somehow to Arizona. Then the move looks a lot better. We also got to see what qb they identify as the qbotf to groom behind flacco.

That's huge variables we have to see how it all plays out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I like it for Denver. Obviously a lot depends on what you gave up. Did you go Full Alex Smith or get away with a day 3 pick?

It's a 4th just not sure which one we have ours and the Texans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Benjamin Allbright‏ @AllbrightNFL

Keep an eye on Arizona for a potential Case Keenum trade.

The idea would be to bring Keenum in and extend him with a lower salary cap number as a long term backup. Kingsbury was Keenum's QB coach and co-OC at university of Houston.

Bring it...and we can throw in some Rocky Mountain oysters to sweeten the deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we give up a 4th round pick (rumored) and $7.5m 2019 cap for - Flacco over Keenum in 2019 and an option to keep Flacco at $20.25m in 2020 if we do not land our QB at 1.10.

The more I think about it, the less I hate it. The more I read about it ,the more upset I get. It doesn't help that, growing up in the Baltimore area, I have talked an extreme amount of trash about Joe Flacco over the years. But I still think the media is making this out to be a much bigger deal than it is, when you lay it out in it's simplest terms (above) it isn't that much. Sure, I'm upset about the 4th rounder. I wish it was a 5th. But I really think that the 2020 $20.25m option gives us a safety net that was not on the roster previously. It removes us from the Nick Foles discussion, which would have had us tied up with guaranteed money for a few more years. 

Maybe Elway thinks Trevor Lawrence will grow another inch before he enters the draft so he can draft him? I hate that Flacco is another tall QB that will go down as a failed Elway experiment (again, despite the low cost it will be seen as a gigantic gamble because buzzwords). 

Such a lateral move, was it worth it?

PS - where were you when you found out? I was without cell service kinda in the middle of nowhere. Started to get antsy, needed something to refresh - facebook, twitter, espn whatever. Pull out my work phone which had a little bit of a signal and decide to go to espn.com,  where I see in gigantic letters "Breaking News: Flacco traded to Broncos". Then I tried to not have a panic attack for the next 20 minutes as we drove back into civilization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×