Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

champ11

Don’t understand all the hate for this deal.

1. Keemun was a dead man walking. The ONLY wY you could bring him back next year was as a short term bridge for a round 1 QB, and even that would have been a circus.  The Case mistake is a “sunk cost”. We’re gonna pay for that this year NO MATTER WHAT

2. Flacco is a definite upgrade over Case.  Middling QB? Yes  long term answer? No. But and upgrade? Unquestionably 

3. Elway HAD to do something at QB.  If he’s didn’t go get a PROVEN STARTER, the he was going to be FORCED into taking a rd 1 QB- and thus may very well have been forced into a stupid trade up.

4. This is a historically mediocre QB Class. How many of you have said you’d fire ElwY on the spot if he traded up for (put QB’s name here).   Now, he can stand pat at 10 (or trade back) and take BPA and build the team - that’s what you’ve all been screaming for

5. There is NO guaranteed money. Heck, we could draft Lock at 10 if he falls, find out in TC that he wLks on Water, and cut Flacco at no cost going forward

6. It was a freaking 4th round pick!

Ive said no more band-aids at QB.  I want a young QBOTFmore than anything.  But this move doesn’t preclude this - rather it keeps Elway from being FORCED into doing something out of desperation (you can say this was desperation but again - SB Winning QB, No guaranteed &, 4th rd pick

msy the QB Scangerello likes is a Day 2 guy that will take development.  This what, they can give him time  

I’m ok with it 

11 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

1. Keemun was a dead man walking. The ONLY wY you could bring him back next year was as a short term bridge for a round 1 QB, and even that would have been a circus.  The Case mistake is a “sunk cost”. We’re gonna pay for that this year NO MATTER WHAT

2. Flacco is a definite upgrade over Case.  Middling QB? Yes  long term answer? No. But and upgrade? Unquestionably 

3. Elway HAD to do something at QB.  If he’s didn’t go get a PROVEN STARTER, the he was going to be FORCED into taking a rd 1 QB- and thus may very well have been forced into a stupid trade up.

4. This is a historically mediocre QB Class. How many of you have said you’d fire ElwY on the spot if he traded up for (put QB’s name here).   Now, he can stand pat at 10 (or trade back) and take BPA and build the team - that’s what you’ve all been screaming for

5. There is NO guaranteed money. Heck, we could draft Lock at 10 if he falls, find out in TC that he wLks on Water, and cut Flacco at no cost going forward

Ive said no more band-aids at QB.  I want a young QBOTFmore than anything.  But this move doesn’t preclude this - rather it keeps Elway from being FORCED into doing something out of desperation (you can say this was desperation but again - SB Winning QB, No guaranteed &, 4th rd pick

msy the QB Scangerello likes is a Day 2 guy that will take development.  This what, they can give him time  

I’m ok with it 

I came in here to post something like this. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I’m ok with it 

How is Flacco a definitive upgrade over Keenum? Genuinely interested in why people think this 

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

How is Flacco a definitive upgrade over Keenum? Genuinely interested in why people think this 

I think he is because he stretches the field something keenum failed to do. Keenum also really hasn't had success outside a dome. I like the idea of a motivated flacco something I actually think he his for the first time since the superbowl.  

I'm not in love with the move but if it keeps us from trading up a future first for a qb I'm all for it. I like the idea of Flacco winning on the road in Arrow head then a keenum. 

Ravens havent had the best weapons, talent, or Oc the last couple of years. If we can move Keenums contract which we should.  Because he's only guaranteed a certain number and if he signs an extension with Arizona it will be worth it to dump Keenum. 

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Arm strength, long and intermediate accuracy, excellent playoff QB, winning record as a starter with only two losing seasons out of 11.

Flacco requires a defense to defend the entire field, Keenum is 20-30 yards. 

Just a few examples.

I think the move could be fine depending on the rest of the moves this offseason.

But as far as being a clear upgrade over Keenum....Just don't see it guys. He's got the deep ball....but his pocket mobility is much worse. Statistically he has been a poor quarterback for 3 seasons. His stats 3 years ago are similar to Keenum's last year. He's won the same amount of playoff games as Keenum in the last 5 years.

I'm not defending Keenum. He stinks...and is a less talented player. But Flacco has been poor for a couple seasons now.

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think the move could be fine depending on the rest of the moves this offseason.

But as far as being a clear upgrade over Keenum....Just don't see it guys. He's got the deep ball....but his pocket mobility is much worse. Statistically he has been a poor quarterback for 3 seasons. His stats 3 years ago are similar to Keenum's last year. He's won the same amount of playoff games as Keenum in the last 5 years.

I'm not defending Keenum. He stinks...and is a less talented player. But Flacco has been poor for a couple seasons now.

He has been poor for the last couple of years last time he had success was with Kubiak in 2014. But he also had an oc that basically just got canned in Marty M. Well it was a demotion which he wouldn't take so he basically got canned.

Also since Rice Baltimore has been meh at the rb position and have been meh at wr since Boldin. Flacco just fits the scheme better.

If you look at this move in a vacuum it isn't terrible but it takes a lot of projecting. 

I got to see how the rest of the offseason shakes out in order to fully grade this trade. In my perfect world we could trade down from 10 to pick 20 while still picking up a future 2020 first. This happens if the steelers love white who is viewed as a can't miss mlb.That will give us ammo in the future to work with while being flexible in the present.  Then we could pick the bpa oline prospect at pick 20 or adderly, or a te like fant, hokenstein. A corner just put some pieces in place.

We can even select a developing qb in round 3 or 4 and see what Scangarello can do. And if that qb doesn't progress we still have an extra 2020 first to play with.

I was surprised by this move.  I am actually a Flacco fan, but he has regressed, even then is an upgrade over Keenum.

This move actually makes a ton of sense.  Elway complained during the season about Keenum not pushing the ball downfield.  Scangerrello came in and said arm strength is a must for a QB in his system.  It’s a big reason why I think Denver was and still is very high on Drew Lock.

I am getting a bit concerned though with  the fact Elway has added 3 QBs 6’6” +.  When it happens 3x it’s hard argue that height isn’t a HUGE requirement for him.

Overall I think Flacco is a liability at this stage but you can do more with Flacco than Keenum because of his (significantly) stronger arm. Musgrave wanted to have a dynamic and aggressive passing game last year but Keenum couldn't attack the seams with his noodle arm and turned the ball over too much. By October, the passing offense was as remedial as I've seen from the team since Tebow. Even the best coaches would have troubles scheming up success for a physically limited QB. 

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You got Flacco as a short term fix to get you through 2019 with a chance to win some games and get some slight improvement at QB position.

How again is that not a band aid?  I'm confused. 

Sure it may be a bandaid but it’s one of those colorful ones with like Dora the Explorer on it. 

Archived