Broncos trade for Joe Flacco

champ11

54 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I actually brought up the possibility of us trading for Flacco last night as my son and I were watching the sixer game.  My son thought I was crazy - that it would never happen.  He's not a Flacco fan.    That doesn't mean I love the deal though but I knew John was desperate.  Honestly I thought he was going to trade up into the top 3 and grab a qb.  I don't think that's happening now.  Man I'm hoping this works out.  I was actually happy when we signed Keenum last year but my feelings quickly changed.  I'm getting tired of this but you know what there are only a handful of elite qb's in the league so it might very well take some time to fix this qb issue.   Here's hoping......... 

You should post in here more 

1 hour ago, anewdawn said:

I actually brought up the possibility of us trading for Flacco last night as my son and I were watching the sixer game.  My son thought I was crazy - that it would never happen.  He's not a Flacco fan.    That doesn't mean I love the deal though but I knew John was desperate.  Honestly I thought he was going to trade up into the top 3 and grab a qb.  I don't think that's happening now.  Man I'm hoping this works out.  I was actually happy when we signed Keenum last year but my feelings quickly changed.  I'm getting tired of this but you know what there are only a handful of elite qb's in the league so it might very well take some time to fix this qb issue.   Here's hoping......... 

I think you're a 100% right and this is why at the very least I don't hate the Flacco trade and don't think anyone can.

I mean imagine trading up for a qb bc you're desperate.  And odds are said qb is at the very least gonna have to sit a half of year to be successful. 

Keenum couldn't afford you a half year at that, and you're paying more than full price to move up to 3 because teams no your desperate because teams know you're a ticking time bomb with Keenum. 

Now you have Flacco whats that give you flexibility.  That's so important because having flexibility makes a better decision more feasible.  Now you don't look desperate too other teams and really aren't desperate.  Now if the qb is within striking distance odds are teams won't jump you. A better chance that guy is available or near 10.

Maybe Lock is the qb the Giants love and Elway likes Haskins long term but knows he needs to sit because of limited college sample. I think Chris Mortenson had the college snaps and success rate. This Flacco trades gives us so much flexibility. 

8 hours ago, germ-x said:

I was surprised by this move.  I am actually a Flacco fan, but he has regressed, even then is an upgrade over Keenum.

This move actually makes a ton of sense.  Elway complained during the season about Keenum not pushing the ball downfield.  Scangerrello came in and said arm strength is a must for a QB in his system.  It’s a big reason why I think Denver was and still is very high on Drew Lock.

I am getting a bit concerned though with  the fact Elway has added 3 QBs 6’6” +.  When it happens 3x it’s hard argue that height isn’t a HUGE requirement for him.

I think Drew Lock is 6'4".  I still think the Broncos draft him.  I am not sure if that motivates Flacco or not, but I like the strategy of Flacco as a more proven QB commodity and Lock sitting for a year, maybe two if Flacco plays well.  

Then again, having Devin White or the best CB or best offensive lineman available would be nice to get at #10 and then getting a guy like Brett Rypien in the second/third round makes even better sense.  

I think the criteria for QBs is that he has to be over 6'4".  That would be Lock and Daniels in play.  Actually, if Daniels drops and let's say the Jags or the Giants draft Lock, then adding Devin White in the first and somehow getting Daniels in the late 1st or 2nd wouldn't be a bad idea.  He is 6'5" BTW

Three more thoughts on this trade: 1) from the eye test, Flacco is better.  He was probably better than Jackson last year, but I am guessing if Harbaugh made the move back to Flacco once he was healthy, the city of Baltimore would have had his head.  2) I read that the Broncos kicked the tires on Foles, but the non-guaranteed contract and probably the expectation that Flacco is 34 and Foles is younger makes a nice transition from Flacco to a drafted successor, and 3) I read that Flacco was a better fit over Foles, because Flacco knows the Shanahan offensive system and it would be easier for Scangeralla to install the offence with Flacco than Foles.  And, once the successor to Flacco is ready to start, then it is easy to dump Flacco.  

This plan seems a lot better than drafting Lock and waiting for Keenum to finish out his contract.  Vic Fangio said that the Broncos needed to quit putting band aides on problems and to start putting systems and plans together...I guess this is part of that...Vic, the one guy who has what we've needed for 10-years, which was a guy with a plan.  

57 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Three more thoughts on this trade: 1) from the eye test, Flacco is better.  He was probably better than Jackson last year, but I am guessing if Harbaugh made the move back to Flacco once he was healthy, the city of Baltimore would have had his head.  2) I read that the Broncos kicked the tires on Foles, but the non-guaranteed contract and probably the expectation that Flacco is 34 and Foles is younger makes a transition from Flacco to a drafted successor, and 3) I read that Flacco was a better fit over Foles, because Flacco knows the Shanahan offensive system and it would be easier for Scangeralla to install the offence with Flacco than Foles.  And, once the successor to Flacco is ready to start, then it is easy to dump Flacco.  

This plan seems a lot better than drafting Lock and waiting for Keenum to finish out his contract.  Vic Fangio said that the Broncos needed to quit putting band aides on problems and to start putting systems and plans together...I guess this is part of that...Vic, the one guy who has what we've needed for 10-years, which was a guy with a plan.  

One of your better posts. Definitely better than you cursing me out. 

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Anyone else finding its hard to care about this offseason and next year when our QB choices are Keenum and Flacco? I feel there is just so little excitement moving forward for this team.

I’m still the same level of excited but less anxious or worried. I didn’t think we were going anywhere with the QB options available regardless. Rookie or Vet. And if this means we don’t trade up or we address a different position at 10 other than QB then even better. 

$18.5 mill to Flacco, $10 mill deadcap when we cut/trade Case - $28.5 mill on one of the least enviable QB situations in the entire league. That is not good, John.

Fair play to a lot of you - you're taking this better than me. Flacco is an absolute statue back there and our OL is one of the worst drop back passing OL in Football and that's with a healthy Paradis/Leary. I just don't see this working out at all, and I really don't buy the scheme familiarity stuff either. Flacco was plenty familiar with his scheme in Baltimore last year and he was, sans a couple of games, terrible.

The biggest positive for me is that we (potentially) keep our veteran players happy in that we're at least 'trying to win'. That said, I just don't see where the productivity is going to come from. 

I know Klis is an earpiece for Elway and he is saying that this takes us at the QB stakes in the early part of the draft but I call bs on that. a) Elway isn't giving away his draft intentions to anyone 2 months before the draft. b) Flacco is going to be our QB for one year - I would be shocked if Elway thinks any different. c) Elway is going to need some form of young plan b for when this goes to 'poo' because this fanbase isn't a million miles off being done with Elway. One more tragic QB situation and he's in deep, deep trouble.

To summarise, I don't like it. I don't really know what scenario I would like to be honest, but this isn't it.

9 hours ago, Counselor said:

You should post in here more 

Honestly I love the game but I don't know it to the degree that some of the great posters do.  My son has coached football and when we watch the game it is amazing what he sees and what I don't see.  So if you notice my posts are of a general nature - I keep it simple.  I love some of the posters here and their depth with regard to what they see - too many to name.  PS I also would take anything in getting rid of Keenum now including a 7th rounder in the year 3015.  Actually I think I might give away some of our 3000 year seventh rounders for someone to take him off our hands............lmao.  I hope John can rectify this mess but I think any other team would bet on Keenum being released so why trade for him.   As the other team I wouldn't even give up a 3015 pic - ps I do know you can't go that far out...........

10 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

Honestly I love the game but I don't know it to the degree that some of the great posters do.  My son has coached football and when we watch the game it is amazing what he sees and what I don't see.  So if you notice my posts are of a general nature - I keep it simple.  I love some of the posters here and their depth with regard to what they see - too many to name.  PS I also would take anything in getting rid of Keenum now including a 7th rounder in the year 3015.  Actually I think I might give away some of our 3000 year seventh rounders for someone to take him off our hands............lmao.  I hope John can rectify this mess but I think any other team would bet on Keenum being released so why trade for him.   As the other team I wouldn't even give up a 3015 pic - ps I do know you can't go that far out...........

Regardless of knowledge level of the game, it is always nice to read some fresh takes and opinions from all different posters. 

I am putting together my mock and it is a wishful thinking Mock but it’s us basically just swapping sixths with Arizona for Keenum. As they don’t have a 7th. But I agree, I don’t know why they wouldn’t just wait till he was cut as we have no leverage. 

Archived