Flacco dealt to Broncos for 4th Rounder

AFlaccoSeagulls

A lot has been made about the timing of this deal from the perspective of the broncos, but I think the Ravens side is quite interesting. They could have held out for more value potentially as they didn’t have to make a move now. Clearing the cap earlier likely means they are attempting to negotiate with both Mosley and Smith. Also pierce (I think they may opt to let him negotiate a RFA deal and let them match it, rather than negotiating against themselves - that is unless they think they can entice him to sign before process starts). 

I think our FO was very aware that the FA QB pool was rather large and we moved quickly to get a mid round pick and clear some cap space so that they could move into free agency with some clear sight. They might have had the opportunity of getting more from a deal after FA and draft if some team wound up with no FA QB or a QB in the draft and became desperate, but there was also a chance the QB market would have dried out and Flaccos value would have been even lower.

Smart move and a great place for Flacco to finish his career. Broncos can test this year if Flacco can do enough for them, and if it fails, they have him as a bridge QB next year.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I think our FO was very aware that the FA QB pool was rather large and we moved quickly to get a mid round pick and clear some cap space so that they could move into free agency with some clear sight. They might have had the opportunity of getting more from a deal after FA and draft if some team wound up with no FA QB or a QB in the draft and became desperate, but there was also a chance the QB market would have dried out and Flaccos value would have been even lower.

Smart move and a great place for Flacco to finish his career. Broncos can test this year if Flacco can do enough for them, and if it fails, they have him as a bridge QB next year.

What’s more you also don’t want to risk FA starting and the teams that COULD target Flacco filling their rosters with talent and soaking up their cap space. $18.5m isn’t an easy number to sneak into a cap.

Had this been last offseason where Tyrod commanded a 3rd round pick with a similar salary and a few teams generally had some huge cap space, we potentially could’ve sat and waited for a 2nd if not settle for a 3rd. But the risk was too great. We also do quite well with 4th round picks so I’m not mad at this value.

Archived