49ers cut Garry Gilliam

49erurtaza

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mitchell gone and now Gilliam. Whats' the cap space situation looking like now?

Guessing business is booming as Antonio Brown would say???

Earl gave us about 3 million, Gilliam gave us about 5. We had about 61 million, roughly, per otc. We should be around 70 now. But I guess exact figures are hard to judge based on the tweet. 

This is the least surprising cut ever. You can go all the way back to my initial FA thread post and say that any cuts this off season should absolutely start here. Made no sense to pay this guy 5 million this year with no dead money, particularly after acquiring Coleman. 

I would suspect Garcon, Malcolm Smith to be next. Not sure we cut Coyle and Smith, though Coyle should be on the chopping block as well. 

Malcolm Smith would still cost us a cap hit and with Foster gone and only Lee worthy of the field backing up Warner and Smith right now I can't see him getting cut. Not yet anyway as his play on the field makes him and extremely likely cut candidate but not until we add some LBs to this group. Garcon and Coyle would be my next guess.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

Malcolm Smith would still cost us a cap hit and with Foster gone and only Lee worthy of the field backing up Warner and Smith right now I can't see him getting cut. Not yet anyway as his play on the field makes him and extremely likely cut candidate but not until we add some LBs to this group. Garcon and Coyle would be my next guess.

Coyle actually makes more sense to me as well. He actually saves more money than Smith, and I want to say that Smith is actually the better player. I suppose the tricky part would be how they feel about Smith's health moving foward (dude never is healthy), which I know is a bit ironic given that Coyle missed almost all of last year, and how much they value coyle's work on special teams. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is the least surprising cut ever. You can go all the way back to my initial FA thread post and say that any cuts this off season should absolutely start here. Made no sense to pay this guy 5 million this year with no dead money, particularly after acquiring Coleman. 

I would suspect Garcon, Malcolm Smith to be next. Not sure we cut Coyle and Smith, though Coyle should be on the chopping block as well. 

The team needed him in 2018, but it's great to know that we don't in 2019. And no dead money - thanks Paraag! 

Although I doubt it would happen, if this team is really going to draft + sign an edge rusher this off season, it should at least put Marsh in the conversation of being cut. No dead money on his deal, saves about 4 million. If we are adding at least two pieces at that specific spot, there's absolutely no reason to retain him. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Although I doubt it would happen, if this team is really going to draft + sign an edge rusher this off season, it should at least put Marsh in the conversation of being cut. No dead money on his deal, saves about 4 million. If we are adding at least two pieces at that specific spot, there's absolutely no reason to retain him. 

Just because of our lack of edge guys and his very moderate, hardly on his own, production I think he stays for one more year. 4 mil would be nice to add to the bank but I think he could be a rotational piece for us or in case of injury type of guy.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think if we're adding three guys (for which I advocate), then Marsh would be cut. With only 2, he's an injury away from being the top backup. As much as I would prefer to get that contract off the books, I would hate to be in a situation where someone worse ends up playing. But that's part of why my goal is to add 3 - one who doubles as a SAM - so that way we can completely revamp that spot. There won't always be this plethora of EDGE talent available, so I say stock up. 

5 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

What's K'wuan's contract look like?

only 2.6 this year, only save a million with a cut. I wish he had any ball skills whatsoever, but he's not bad and he plays tough. I'd probably keep him around. 

Archived