What Would Robbie Gould Cost Us?

soulman

The free agency market value for Robbie Gould

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Robbie-Gould-free-agent-market-value-129023157/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190213_105922_Chicago Bears Newsletter&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=C3-52-7D-DF-F0-AF-8E-1A-53-7F-74-41-9D-F1-31-5F190213_105922ChicagoBearsNewsletter

The 49ers have already entered into contract talks with Gould, although general manager John Lynch told reporters in late January that nothing was imminent. The franchise tag is an option for the 49ers if they cannot come to an agreement on a deal; it would cost them just over $5 million to give Gould the tag in 2019, according to tag estimates by CBS Sports analyst Joel Corry, and they have enough projected cap space ($60 million) for a tag to likely not be much of a cost issue. If the 49ers do reach an agreement with Gould, one would have to expect he'd be at or near the top of the highest-paid kickers in football. Here's a look at some of the league's highest-paid kickers and how their numbers over the past two seasons compare to Gould's.

* Graham Gano, Panthers ($4.25 million yearly average heading into 2019, per Spotrac.com): 43-46 FG, 64-70 PAT
Chris Boswell, Steelers: ($4.201 million yearly average heading into 2019): 48-58 FG, 80-87 PAT
Justin Tucker, Ravens ($4.20 million yearly average heading into 2019): 69-76 FG, 75-76 PAT
Mason Crosby, Packers ($4.025 million yearly average heading into 2019): 45-56 FG, 67-71 PAT
Ryan Succop ($4 million yearly average heading into 2019): 61-72 FG, 59-64 PAT
Adam Vinatieri, Colts (Signed a one-year, $3.875 million extension in January with a $2 million signing bonus):  52-61 FG, 66-71 PAT
Stephen Gostkowski, Patriots ($4.3 million average in 2018, impending free agent): 64-72 FG, 94-97 PAT

Three of those kickers -- Gano, Boswell, and Succop -- signed multi-year extensions in 2018. Gano's deal came in at $17 million over four years with $9 million guaranteed and a sixning bonus of $6.15 million, while Boswell's deal was for $16.8 million over four years with a $6 million signing bonus and $7.295 million guaranteed. Succop inked a five-year, $20 million deal with $7.5 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $3.5 million. A new deal for Gould may not cover as many years due to his age, but one would have to expect it would be similar if not better in yearly average and percentage of guaranteed money. 

Just now, HuskieBear said:

Gould would cost SF $5M? How convenient for them that they just cut a dude today that saved $5M against their cap

Personally I think getting Robbie back is a pipe dream and I believe Pace also knows that ergo his signing Redford Jones for starters.

SF wants him,  has the cap room to keep him, he's kicked extremely well there, and SF ain't a bad place to hang your helmet.  Any interest he may have in returning to Chicago or our interest in getting him back can only help him in his negotiations.  He's in line to become the highest paid PK in the NFL and IMHO that may be too rich for our blood and our cap position since we still have to pay off Parkey regardless.

Anything is possible including simply keeping Parkey around 'til preseason while we bring in as much competition as we find and afford.  If we're gonna release him this time let's be sure we've found someone more accurate.  I'm getting tired of watching us **** this up.

Two first round picks. SF will sign or tag him. They have no other tag candidates and have a bazillion dollars in cap space. SF expects to contend for the postseason next year with Garoppolo back and while I’m not a huge believer in Garoppolo they won’t be looking to create a need at kicker by letting arguably the best one in the league walk for nothing. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Two first round picks. SF will sign or tag him. They have no other tag candidates and have a bazillion dollars in cap space. SF expects to contend for the postseason next year with Garoppolo back and while I’m not a huge believer in Garoppolo they won’t be looking to create a need at kicker by letting arguably the best one in the league walk for nothing. 

Yeah, I see it like the prom queen who hints she'd like to go to a beach party yet avoids you asking her only to show up with the captain of the football team.  Robbie's flirting with returning to Chicago is far more of a "kick tease" than a reality.  :D

20 hours ago, soulman said:

Yeah, I see it like the prom queen who hints she'd like to go to a beach party yet avoids you asking her only to show up with the captain of the football team.  Robbie's flirting with returning to Chicago is far more of a "kick tease" than a reality.  :D

I don't know, man. He's got a solid family motivation to return, and the Bears are much closer to a Super Bowl than the 9ers...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't know, man. He's got a solid family motivation to return, and the Bears are much closer to a Super Bowl than the 9ers...

Our chance is as good as anyone’s to get him if he hits FA for those reasons but I don’t think he’s going to get the chance. I don’t see any way SF doesn’t tag him if he doesn’t sign an extension. 

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

From his interviews though it appears to me that his family spent the season with him in SF then they return to Chicago for the offseason.

I'll admit to being surprised if SF allows him to leave but in no way would I be disappointed if we signed him.  I was pissed at Fox for all of his BS when we let Robbie go and I'm still pissed.  The guy hurt this team far more than he ever helped it because he's an arrogant old fool.

Cody Parkey is wrecking me.  It's always been easy to keep sports in perspective, and I try really hard to not let it go past the final whistle no matter how bad the Bears were. I've never yelled at my family after a bad game etc etc etc.  But Cody Parkey instantly makes my blood boil, and all these Valentines day memes are not helping. 

Pace needs to get the kicker position right for my mental health. 

Archived