What Would Robbie Gould Cost Us?

soulman

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/17/robbie-gould-chicago-bears-kicker-nfl-free-agency/

On Sunday, Gould outlined what he’s looking for in free agency this March.

On @670TheScore, Robbie Gould said he's seeking in free agency the best fit for his family, at least three years on his deal and a winning team. The Bears' all-time leading scorer has hit 82 of his last 85 kicks.

Seems like and invitation to Ryan Pace to "COME AND GET ME".

18 hours ago, soulman said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/17/robbie-gould-chicago-bears-kicker-nfl-free-agency/

On Sunday, Gould outlined what he’s looking for in free agency this March.

On @670TheScore, Robbie Gould said he's seeking in free agency the best fit for his family, at least three years on his deal and a winning team. The Bears' all-time leading scorer has hit 82 of his last 85 kicks.

Seems like and invitation to Ryan Pace to "COME AND GET ME".

If you told me 10 years ago I'd be more concerned about the kicker I want in FA being available than the CB or SS I'd have called you a liar.

But this isn't 10 years ago, is it? lol

If today's rumor is accurate Robbie's "kick tease" flirtation may have benefited him because SF now claims they will tag him if they cannot come to terms on a new deal.  That would assure him of at least $5 mil or so for 2019 and typically it will also set the bar for the APY for any new deal.  Looks like Robbie has a win/win deal going for himself.

If any of you see John Fox in person please kick him in the nuts for me will ya'.....thank you.

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

If you told me 10 years ago I'd be more concerned about the kicker I want in FA being available than the CB or SS I'd have called you a liar.

But this isn't 10 years ago, is it? lol

Or that we'd consider paying a PK $5 mil a year.  Mind boggling.  O.o  LOL

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Lots of reports today that Gould is getting tagged.

Time to move on.

It never made sense for SF to let him leave. But hey, the umpteen Robbie Gould Reunion stories over the past month have generated a ton of page clicks, so... 

🤦‍♂️

Bears Fans: We desperately need a new kicker. Gould is a FA, and even though SF has tons of cap space, a need at kicker, and no other pressing matters, they'll definitely let him walk. He still lives in Chicago and was at the playoff game, he's definitely coming back.

SF media: With plenty of cap space, a need at kicker, and no other pressing matters, expect SF to franchise Gould so he doesn't go anywhere.

Bears Fans: 

Image result for surprised pikachu

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, RunningVaccs said:

Hey aside from the 2 or 3 obvious huge complications it was a great idea.

It really would be a nice story, but it takes 2 to tango, or in this case 3

Good kickers are reasonably hard to come by, as we well know. I wouldn’t count on any of the top FA kickers being reasonably available to us.

At this point I’m expecting we’re going to have a real competition amongst multiple guys for the job where someone has to actually WIN the job. If that’s the guy we signed, Andy Phillips (who at minimum battled Barth to a draw in 2017 but IMO outkicked him) and a UDFA from this year’s class then so be it. 

Being a stud college kicker isn’t necessarily a predictor of NFL success either. Robbie Gould was 39-61 on FG in college at Penn State. 63.9%! 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good kickers are reasonably hard to come by, as we well know. I wouldn’t count on any of the top FA kickers being reasonably available to us.

At this point I’m expecting we’re going to have a real competition amongst multiple guys for the job where someone has to actually WIN the job. If that’s the guy we signed, Andy Phillips (who at minimum battled Barth to a draw in 2017 but IMO outkicked him) and a UDFA from this year’s class then so be it. 

Being a stud college kicker isn’t necessarily a predictor of NFL success either. Robbie Gould was 39-61 on FG in college at Penn State. 63.9%! 

I won't be surprised if Pace uses one of the fifths or sevenths pick on the best kicker available, whether that's Cole Tracy or Matt Gay.  He's gone the free agent route more than once now only to see it blow up in his face.  

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I won't be surprised if Pace uses one of the fifths or sevenths pick on the best kicker available, whether that's Cole Tracy or Matt Gay.  He's gone the free agent route more than once now only to see it blow up in his face. 

I'd agree that it's quite possible he will.  If we don't sign a top shelf vet (unlikely) IMHO Pace would be foolish not to bring in as much competition as he can reasonably attract or draft.

We only have one 5th round pick so I'd be less certain of him using it on a PK than a position player unless he planned to keep him but a 7th I could easily see him doing for Tracy or Gay.

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I won't be surprised if Pace uses one of the fifths or sevenths pick on the best kicker available, whether that's Cole Tracy or Matt Gay.  He's gone the free agent route more than once now only to see it blow up in his face.  

Taking the top kicker in the draft is arguably the least valuable draft bet you can make in terms of drafting for value: 

2018- Daniel Carlson

2017- Jake Elliott

2016- Roberto Aguayo

2015- None drafted

2014- Zach Hocker

2013- Caleb Sturgis

2012- Randy Bullock

2011- Alex Henery 

2010- None drafted

2009- David Buehler

2008- Taylor Mehlhaff

2007- Justin Medlock

2006- Stephen Gostkowski

Outside of Gostkowski, none of these guys are anybody as far as kickers go. Elliott is solid but not great (83.9%) but Carlson was cut by MIN after just a few weeks and Aguayo only made it 1 year even after (absurdly) being a 2nd round pick. Among the rest, all of them are all out of the NFL except Bullock (82.8% career) and Sturgis (80.0%), with the latter only being an injury replacement signing the past 2 years.

Meanwhile, several kickers came into the league as UDFA during the same period with equal or better success (Gould (2005), Justin Tucker, Rosas, Lutz, Myers, Fairbairn, Gano, Lutz, Lambo, Dan Bailey). There have been other drafted kickers who have been good too, but the success rate isn’t hardly good, and there haven’t been many more if any kickers to enter the league in the draft than those entering as UDFA who’ve had any sustained success. 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We didn't resign Phillips (although I would like to). We signed Redford Jones out of Tulsa

Archived