What Would Robbie Gould Cost Us?

soulman

In my mind there's little difference between a 7th round pick and a priority UDFA.  One you're gonna draft and the other you're gonna pursue and hour after the draft is over.  The amount of signing bonus is probably the biggest difference.

I couldn't care less where Pace finds prospects only that he does.

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

We didn't resign Phillips (although I would like to). We signed Redford Jones out of Tulsa

I’m aware. But he’s not on anyone’s roster right now either as far as I’m aware and he’s a guy I’d like to see get another look in competition with Jones. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m aware. But he’s not on anyone’s roster right now either as far as I’m aware and he’s a guy I’d like to see get another look in competition with Jones. 

My bad, I misunderstood your sentence

"If that’s the guy we signed, Andy Phillips (who at minimum battled Barth to a draw in 2017 but IMO outkicked him) and a UDFA from this year’s class then so be it."

I thought "the guy we signed, Andy Phillips" was referring to one person (Phillips) not 2 people (Jones and Phillips)

32 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

My bad, I misunderstood your sentence

"If that’s the guy we signed, Andy Phillips (who at minimum battled Barth to a draw in 2017 but IMO outkicked him) and a UDFA from this year’s class then so be it."

I thought "the guy we signed, Andy Phillips" was referring to one person (Phillips) not 2 people (Jones and Phillips)

I see it as I re-read it. My bad. 🤦‍♂️

Don't be totally shocked if Bears keep Parkey and let him compete for his job in offseason. 

I think odds are he eventually goes because of lack of confidence in him, but if Pace can find a valid reason to keep him he would like to do so solely because of the contract. 

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Don't be totally shocked if Bears keep Parkey and let him compete for his job in offseason. 

I think odds are he eventually goes because of lack of confidence in him, but if Pace can find a valid reason to keep him he would like to do so solely because of the contract. 

Just announced he’ll be gone day 1 of new league year.

23 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I bet they discussed it a few times because of contract, but came to inevitable conclusion that he could not be rehabilitated to team or fans. 

The team may have but after his "oh poor me" Today Show gig Nagy and Pace wouldn't and fans?  No way.  He'd already lost me when he was whining about being 87% good after missing yet another kick and he was absolutely useless beyond 40 yards.  Good, good, good riddance.

Just before the start of the 2016 season, Bears General Manager Ryan Pace cut kicker Robbie Gould. Since then, Gould leads the NFL in field goal percentage, while the Bears have had a series of kicking problems. Now Gould’s contract with the 49ers is coming to an end, and the dots are easy to connect. And they become even easier to connect given Gould’s recent comments. Gould, who still makes the Chicago area his primary home, made an appearance in Chicago on Friday and told the Associated Press that he still considers himself a Bear.

Gould: “Once a Bear always a Bear, I truly mean that. This is where I spent 11 years of my life playing for an awesome organization. I’ve developed a lot of great relationships throughout the city but also the organization, just like I’ve done in New York, just like I’ve done in San Francisco. Will it happen? I don’t know. The 49ers have the opportunity to get a contract done with me. Obviously, they have exclusive rights to talk to me until free agency opens. There’s no reason not to. At this point, I’m just enjoying being around my kids and not really worried about the football contract.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/24/robbie-gould-sounds-interested-in-returning-to-chicago/

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Just before the start of the 2016 season, Bears General Manager Ryan Pace cut kicker Robbie Gould. Since then, Gould leads the NFL in field goal percentage, while the Bears have had a series of kicking problems. Now Gould’s contract with the 49ers is coming to an end, and the dots are easy to connect. And they become even easier to connect given Gould’s recent comments. Gould, who still makes the Chicago area his primary home, made an appearance in Chicago on Friday and told the Associated Press that he still considers himself a Bear.

Gould: “Once a Bear always a Bear, I truly mean that. This is where I spent 11 years of my life playing for an awesome organization. I’ve developed a lot of great relationships throughout the city but also the organization, just like I’ve done in New York, just like I’ve done in San Francisco. Will it happen? I don’t know. The 49ers have the opportunity to get a contract done with me. Obviously, they have exclusive rights to talk to me until free agency opens. There’s no reason not to. At this point, I’m just enjoying being around my kids and not really worried about the football contract.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/24/robbie-gould-sounds-interested-in-returning-to-chicago/

Dollars to donuts the Niners have already told him they’ll tag him without a new deal and he’s using the Bears as leverage to a better contract. 

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Dollars to donuts the Niners have already told him they’ll tag him without a new deal and he’s using the Bears as leverage to a better contract. 

That was my initial thinking as well and why I called him a "kick tease".  SF owns him if they choose to tag him and given his success I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't if that's what it takes.   A $5 mil tag for your top scorer is pin money.

I hate to keep beating up John Faux (well actually I don't and I have my reasons) but letting the Bears all time top scorer go with a flimsy excuse like he no longer trusted him then asking for Barth who spent all of 5 games under him was simply a classic display of stupidity

4 hours ago, soulman said:

That was my initial thinking as well and why I called him a "kick tease".  SF owns him if they choose to tag him and given his success I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't if that's what it takes.   A $5 mil tag for your top scorer is pin money.

I hate to keep beating up John Faux (well actually I don't and I have my reasons) but letting the Bears all time top scorer go with a flimsy excuse like he no longer trusted him then asking for Barth who spent all of 5 games under him was simply a classic display of stupidity

The guys on The Score repeatedly talk about how it was Fox’s ST coordinator Jeff Rodgers who lobbied against keeping him. 

Archived