Edge Shopping on a Budget

WindyCity

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Ray makes a lot of sense, but I think he’s more likely getting a deal like the 2018 Lynch deal than what you outlined. 

I think he could as well.

The 1 year 1.8 is based on what the injured former high picks were getting last offseason.

I think a 4 million incentive deal could be realistic.

Suggs would be a home run. No way they’re resigning both him and Zadarius Smith the latter being much younger and the likely priority for the Ravens. Entering his 17th season you have to imagine he’s looking at contenders only. 

The link with Monachino/Pagano is obviously there. Monachino was not only his coach in Baltimore but also in college at ASU. 

Khalil Mack

Leonard Floyd

Terrell Suggs

Is by far the best group of edge rushers in the league.

I guess the question is would people rather have Wake on a 1 year deal or Lynch on a 3 year deal at 4/season. 

Lynch is only 25 and had some really high level moments where you saw what he could be. 

Tough call. But if Amos and Callahan both walk, you would have the cash for Lynch if you wanted to go that way.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think he could as well.

The 1 year 1.8 is based on what the injured former high picks were getting last offseason.

I think a 4 million incentive deal could be realistic.

Being a Denver resident and part time Bronco fan I gotta say that Ray just doesn't impress me at all or at least not for the kind of money predicted here.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Shane-Ray-free-agency-market-value-128991630/

As he inches closer to unrestricted free agency, the veteran outside linebacker is projected to be greeted by a lukewarm market. Per Jason Fitzgerald, a salary cap guru and founder of OverTheCap.com, Ray may settle for a one-year contract in the $6.5-7 million range — a prove-it pact to rehab the 2015 first-round pick's value.

For comparison's sake, Fitzgerald expects a three-year, $21-23 million contract for fellow Broncos pass-rusher Shaquil Barrett, a former undrafted free agent. Spotrac.com previously predicted that Barrett would land a four-year, $29.779 million deal, making him the league's 16th-highest-paid OLB.

These kind of stats just don't justify that kind of deal from us.

Defense & Fumbles

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       49 15 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 2 18 1 14.0 94 64 30 15 33   12
2015 22 DEN   56 14 0 0 0 0 0 1           4.0 20 15 5 5 7   2
2016 23 DEN LB 56 16 8           1 0 2 18 1 8.0 48 33 15 6 21   6
2017 24 DEN lb 56 8 7                     1.0 16 10 6 3 4   3
2018 25 DEN   56 11 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1.0 10 6 4 1 1   1

You don't know Suggs motivation.  Guy has been doing it a long time. 

A motivated Suggs would be pretty cool.  I can't believe he wasn't a top 5 pick in his draft.  Pretty much a can't miss player on college tape.  He dominated college football.  I think if memory serves his 40 was slow and 'draft experts' were saying he would probably go in teens as a result.   

Lynch has no fast twitch and is injury prone.  Pass.  Let me amend a bit.  I think he has enough natural talent to be a pro bowler in the NFL if he worked out like Walter Payton or Jerry Rice in offseason.  But he doesn't do that.  Hardly anybody does so it isn't a big knock on him, but he just can't take that big body to next level and he can't stay on the field. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think you are off. I think he is going to replicate his 4 million dollars pretty easily coming off a productive season.

Low end 3/12

Higher End 3/15

You categorize 3 sacks and 16 tackles across 353 defensive snaps as a productive season? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2018-snap-counts.htm

On a per snap basis he was less productive statistically than Isaiah Irving. Less than Attaochu per snap too, and you’re projecting Attaochu to get 1/1.5M in the OP. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

You don't know Suggs motivation.  Guy has been doing it a long time. 

A motivated Suggs would be pretty cool.  I can't believe he wasn't a top 5 pick in his draft.  Pretty much a can't miss player on college tape.  He dominated college football.  I think if memory serves his 40 was slow and 'draft experts' were saying he would probably go in teens as a result.   

Lynch has no fast twitch and is injury prone.  Pass.  Let me amend a bit.  I think he has enough natural talent to be a pro bowler in the NFL if he worked out like Walter Payton or Jerry Rice in offseason.  But he doesn't do that.  Hardly anybody does so it isn't a big knock on him, but he just can't take that big body to next level and he can't stay on the field. 

I think moving Flacco makes it much more likely that Suggs stays there. 

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You categorize 3 sacks and 16 tackles across 353 defensive snaps as a productive season? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2018-snap-counts.htm

On a per snap basis he was less productive statistically than Isaiah Irving. Less than Attaochu per snap too, and you’re projecting Attaochu to get 1/1.5M in the OP. 

Guys last year with a similar stat line were in the 4-5 million range/season on mostly 3 year deals.

When you add in his age and previous production, my guess is he comes in right around those numbers. Maybe he takes a 1 year deal at those numbers.

23 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s a career Packer. Going to their rival at this point would seem really unlikely. Also, he looked DONE last year, and hasn’t had more than 7.5 sacks since 2014. I’m looking elsewhere. 

He looked done the year before that. He's pretty bad at playing football, although decent at commercials.

Suggs would be wonderful as a rotational guy, if Pace could make it work. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Guys last year with a similar stat line were in the 4-5 million range/season on mostly 3 year deals.

When you add in his age and previous production, my guess is he comes in right around those numbers. Maybe he takes a 1 year deal at those numbers.

Previous production? He has 5.5 sacks in the last 3 years and has missed 44% of the games during that stretch. 2015 was way too long ago for anyone to put any weight on it as far as his FA market goes. Giving a guy $4M to play half the games hoping he can get back to the average production he saw in his best years 4 years ago is just bad business. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

He looked done the year before that. He's pretty bad at playing football, although decent at commercials.

Suggs would be wonderful as a rotational guy, if Pace could make it work. 

Agree on Matthews and Suggs. I’d just be shocked at this point if he leaves Baltimore. I think both sides want to make that work. 

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I guess the question is would people rather have Wake on a 1 year deal or Lynch on a 3 year deal at 4/season. 

Lynch is only 25 and had some really high level moments where you saw what he could be. 

Tough call. But if Amos and Callahan both walk, you would have the cash for Lynch if you wanted to go that way.

My annoyance with Lynch is can he stay on the field?

I'm somewhat ambivalent where he's concerned.  If we have the cap room to do it bringing him back for what we paid him in 2018 even with a three year deal would be OK provided we could walk away after 2019 with little or no dead cap if Fitts ups his game and can replace him.

Conversely I'd also be OK with spending half that or less giving a kid like Markus Golden a shot to see if he can improve by playing in a better defense. I see him as a younger Sam Acho type and we still have Acho under contract at about $2.1 mil cash.

And last but not least could an old war horse like Terrell Suggs come in on a one year deal like we gave Lynch and be even more effective while we find a younger replacement?  Signing Suggs would be a Belichick kinda move to get us a championship.

Archived