Maryland withdrawals effort to keep Redskins in the state near the National Harbor

turtle28

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Hogan has another site that was mentioned before, but this was up near Westminster somewhere.  I am not sure if that is off the table, or even got on the table in the first place.  I thought he would be bending over backwards to keep the Redskins here, but maybe not.  It seems that VA is lukewarm at best (probably because of the raw deal Richmond has with Redskins Park right now) so DC is the only place now actively pursuing a stadium deal. 

Hogan is still trying to do the land swap with the federal govt but has removed it from consideration (for now) in talks with the Redskins. Personally, I think it is a negotiating ploy. Hogan doesn't want to have to give up more $$ than the state needs to to keep them there. And by withdrawing, they can see what VA does (VA is not interested right now). DC is not an option even though Snyder might want to go back due to nostalgia. It's gonna kill the game day experience (or what's left of it now) and sanitize it to nothing more than "hey let's ride the metro and go to an entertainment event". Great, it's like going to the Kennedy Center then. Plus you already mentioned the traffic issue which will kill any fans that may want to tailgate or try to arrive via car.

Plus, DC is hostile to the name.

As for stadium size, the stadiums are going smaller since Jerry World.   The Niners opened Levi Stadium in 2014 with a 68,500 capacity, which expands to over 75,000 (they had almost 77,000 for Wrestlemania a few years ago.) .  The Falcons Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which opened last year, has a capacity of 71,000 for football.  US Bank Stadium, which opened for the Vikings in 2016, has a capacity around 66,000.  Most teams are finding that fans are not coming out as much for games anymore, and can charge a premium for what seats they do have when they go smaller.  

This is because the NFL has more to compete with in terms of the Sunday games. Yeah, I love going to Redskins games. But I only go to them because we get there before the gates open and we tailgate until about 30 minutes until gametime. This is easily the best part of the day with the crap the Redskins are putting on the field.

Also remember, Snyder owns the current Fed Ex Field land.  Nothing would stop him from tearing down the stadium and rebuilding.  While under construction, he could work out a deal to play games at M&T Bank Stadium (home of the Ravens) or at UMD-College Park or the Naval Academy.  

This is what I'm hoping he does, actually.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hogan is still trying to do the land swap with the federal govt but has removed it from consideration (for now) in talks with the Redskins. Personally, I think it is a negotiating ploy. Hogan doesn't want to have to give up more $$ than the state needs to to keep them there. And by withdrawing, they can see what VA does (VA is not interested right now). DC is not an option even though Snyder might want to go back due to nostalgia. It's gonna kill the game day experience (or what's left of it now) and sanitize it to nothing more than "hey let's ride the metro and go to an entertainment event". Great, it's like going to the Kennedy Center then. Plus you already mentioned the traffic issue which will kill any fans that may want to tailgate or try to arrive via car.

Plus, DC is hostile to the name.

This is because the NFL has more to compete with in terms of the Sunday games. Yeah, I love going to Redskins games. But I only go to them because we get there before the gates open and we tailgate until about 30 minutes until gametime. This is easily the best part of the day with the crap the Redskins are putting on the field.

This is what I'm hoping he does, actually.

Count me as one.  I do like to drive myself for one.  I'm not a fan of rideshare (I only do it when friends want to) and I haven't done public transportation on Metro since RFK was there, and I was a kid going to Oriole Park on the lightrail with my dad.  I have parking permits for Oriole Park and don't mind paying $10 for the games I don't. 

I also love to tailgate at Fed Ex.  I show up with my people shortly after the gates open, head to Purple Lot D, set up at the end near Orange C where we have extra space to spread out and start cooking.  It's a very short walk in, and my seats are three sections over after entering.  Walk back out after letting the stadium empty a bit, pull out the grill and start cooking again.  We used to stay 3-4 hours after the game until they started enforcing the two hour rule for the 2017 season.  I actually know way more people from tailgating in my "area" then the seats around me.  Everyone is friendly with each other, share food at times, and the marching band used to invite all of the "late" crowd after the game until the two hour rule was enforced. I've seen people come and set up massive tailgate parties and not even attend the game.  

I’m loving this thread! I’ve always wanted to redskins back in DC. The idea that s football team generates enough local revenue to have states or city’s provide substantial aid is ridiculous. Now amazon HQ or baseball does but not 8 football games. It’s a pride thing, but Danny has sunk that to a considerable degree. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:13 PM, turtle28 said:

London, Loudon whatever it is? It’s the ex-urbs most ppl in the DC area who don’t live in Nova aren’t going to go to the game anymore. Way worse for ticket sales than where it already is.

Which is another reason why I don't want it out here. Too much traffic. But hey, at least you can ride your precious metro to it if it's out here since you like to say that making it metro accessible will draw more people here.

I'd rather it stay right where it is or go to National Harbor. Whatever it takes to keep it out of DC and on the OTHER side of the Potomac.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Count me as one.  I do like to drive myself for one.  I'm not a fan of rideshare (I only do it when friends want to) and I haven't done public transportation on Metro since RFK was there, and I was a kid going to Oriole Park on the lightrail with my dad.  I have parking permits for Oriole Park and don't mind paying $10 for the games I don't. 

I also love to tailgate at Fed Ex.  I show up with my people shortly after the gates open, head to Purple Lot D, set up at the end near Orange C where we have extra space to spread out and start cooking.  It's a very short walk in, and my seats are three sections over after entering.  Walk back out after letting the stadium empty a bit, pull out the grill and start cooking again.  We used to stay 3-4 hours after the game until they started enforcing the two hour rule for the 2017 season.  I actually know way more people from tailgating in my "area" then the seats around me.  Everyone is friendly with each other, share food at times, and the marching band used to invite all of the "late" crowd after the game until the two hour rule was enforced. I've seen people come and set up massive tailgate parties and not even attend the game.  

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds it sounds like to me that you’d be open to using the metro if the Redskins moved back to DC. If I were you I’d definitely drive to new Carrollton and take the metro 5 stops or whatever it is to the game. I feel like the tailgating tradition isn’t going to end, the strong tailgate game that’s developed the last 20 years will continue at tge new stadium no matter where it is.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds it sounds like to me that you’d be open to using the metro if the Redskins moved back to DC. If I were you I’d definitely drive to new Carrollton and take the metro 5 stops or whatever it is to the game. I feel like the tailgating tradition isn’t going to end, the strong tailgate game that’s developed the last 20 years will continue at tge new stadium no matter where it is.

No, I'm not open to public transportation, I haven't used it since I was a kid and only use rideshare when with friends.  

Also, if Snyder is charging $50 for green permits that are in copious quantities at Fed Ex, imagine how much he's going to charge for parking passes at RFK that will be extremely limited.  It won't be worth tailgating at that point.  

Personally, My family and I have stopped going to the games due to the performance of the team. Second, I hated going to MD for the games. I reside in VA, and after usually watching a losing performance and dealing with the traffic it was much simpler watching the game at home with a better view of the game and not paying outlandish prices for drinks and food. I hope that all three localities turn him down. Maybe it will either force him to sell the team, fire Allen or worst case, find a city that will pay the price for a stadium he wants and move the team. The last example is so out there there that I have no fear on that issue. To me, Snyder has robbed the fans for years with his disaster of running this team to the ground. If you go to a game now, over two thirds of the fans support the oppsong team!. From over the hill free agents, lousy drafts, bad coaching and front office management I believe that Snyder has gone beyond the point of no return and will never have the love of the fans that this team once possess as it's soul. The Redskins are the new Cleveland Browns! We are the bottom of the barrel in the NFL. This season I believe we would be lucky to win three games. I agree with Jeezy that our best hope is he moves the team and we can get an expansion in the future or Snyder finally gives in and sells the team. You can see the writing on the wall. He has 3 localities to try to get to pay for the stadium and no one wants to deal. That's pathetic!!

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which is another reason why I don't want it out here. Too much traffic. But hey, at least you can ride your precious metro to it if it's out here since you like to say that making it metro accessible will draw more people here.

I'd rather it stay right where it is or go to National Harbor. Whatever it takes to keep it out of DC and on the OTHER side of the Potomac.

So, it's fine if its 5-10 miles out of DC but not fine if it's in DC ok... 

The metro doesn't go to bumb - - Ashburn. I think I told this story before but 15 years ago when I was a few years out of college me and my best friend went to see an apartment up in Frederick, MD - which is like the Loudon of Maryland as far as distance from DC - and it took up 2 hours to get to Ashburn to watch training camp and maybe even a bit more. It was awful!

Most ppl who live in MoCo, DC, Howard, Arrundle, Charles & PG wouldn’t go to the game anymore and yes, there are more fans in Virginia but that's a huge segment of the fan base. 

The traffic is worse in Nova bc there is more people, I don't care what you say, that's a fact.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No, I'm not open to public transportation, I haven't used it since I was a kid and only use rideshare when with friends.  

Also, if Snyder is charging $50 for green permits that are in copious quantities at Fed Ex, imagine how much he's going to charge for parking passes at RFK that will be extremely limited.  It won't be worth tailgating at that point.  

I like the metro. I live across the street from it, I can get to capitol hill in a half hour for meetings or around the white house for meetings within an hour when driving takes an hour to go 8 miles and you're not moving!

As far as the parking passes go, people will pay for it. They'll complain but pay. If people are diehard junkie Redskins rose glasses people they'll pay for it. Maybe you wont, but there will be people who do.

1 hour ago, Skinscavalier said:

Personally, My family and I have stopped going to the games due to the performance of the team. Second, I hated going to MD for the games. I reside in VA, and after usually watching a losing performance and dealing with the traffic it was much simpler watching the game at home with a better view of the game and not paying outlandish prices for drinks and food. I hope that all three localities turn him down. Maybe it will either force him to sell the team, fire Allen or worst case, find a city that will pay the price for a stadium he wants and move the team. The last example is so out there there that I have no fear on that issue. To me, Snyder has robbed the fans for years with his disaster of running this team to the ground. If you go to a game now, over two thirds of the fans support the oppsong team!. From over the hill free agents, lousy drafts, bad coaching and front office management I believe that Snyder has gone beyond the point of no return and will never have the love of the fans that this team once possess as it's soul. The Redskins are the new Cleveland Browns! We are the bottom of the barrel in the NFL. This season I believe we would be lucky to win three games. I agree with Jeezy that our best hope is he moves the team and we can get an expansion in the future or Snyder finally gives in and sells the team. You can see the writing on the wall. He has 3 localities to try to get to pay for the stadium and no one wants to deal. That's pathetic!!

While I agree with most of this post, there are too many blind homers in Redskins Nation to force Snyder to sell the team and eventually a deal will get done somewhere for the team. Snyder will never move the team out of the DC Area and the NFL would never allow it. Snyder is as much of a fan of this team or more than even the blind homers. He's not moving the team out of the DC area.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I like the metro. I live across the street from it, I can get to capitol hill in a half hour for meetings or around the white house for meetings within an hour when driving takes an hour to go 8 miles and you're not moving!

As far as the parking passes go, people will pay for it. They'll complain but pay. If people are diehard junkie Redskins rose glasses people they'll pay for it. Maybe you wont, but there will be people who do.

I'm a diehard Redskins fan with a connection to the team that most people don't have, and I still won't pay that much money.  I also won't pay for a PSL.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm a diehard Redskins fan with a connection to the team that most people don't have, and I still won't pay that much money.  I also won't pay for a PSL.  

I get it, but many will and do. They have for years.

Archived