Preseason Week 3: New York Jets @ New York Giants

Acgott

Game wasn't televised in my area so I'll try and catch a replay on NFLN. But doesn't seem like I missed much. From highlights and looking at stats seemed like the 1st team offense struggled again (big surprise). I don't like to make judgments based on preseason but this offense has shown nothing to be excited about...looking like it's going to be another frustrating year of 3 and outs and watching the defense get stiffed on field position. I'm just baffled that a team with an offensive minded head coach, a franchise QB, a top 3 WR and a deep talented receiving corps would struggle to move chains. 9_9

3 hours ago, Shockey1979 said:

Game wasn't televised in my area so I'll try and catch a replay on NFLN. But doesn't seem like I missed much. From highlights and looking at stats seemed like the 1st team offense struggled again (big surprise). I don't like to make judgments based on preseason but this offense has shown nothing to be excited about...looking like it's going to be another frustrating year of 3 and outs and watching the defense get stiffed on field position. I'm just baffled that a team with an offensive minded head coach, a franchise QB, a top 3 WR and a deep talented receiving corps would struggle to move chains. 9_9

I didn't think the offense was  bad. The OL and RB need work, but I saw the WR running free a lot of time and that was without OBJ and Marshall. The offense was able to move the ball very efficiently.

Really happy with the showing from our first team offense and defense. I watched the first half back again and it confirmed what i thought watching it live. 

-Jerry has regressed big time. We moved the ball well the first drive when he was in the game, but the improvement was noticeable with Jones replacing him. I gotta say, i love me some Brett Jones. He knows what he is and his limitations and owns them. His second snap of the game was awesome. Not because it was perfect form or anything, but because he fought back hard to win that rep. He got bulled back hard off the snap, but was able to gain leverage, regain his anchor, and lock out his arms and ultimately win the rep with a tremendous second effort and kept Eli clean. He has some shortcomings in pass pro but is a heady player and is already better than Jerry in the run game. I think he should be the starter at RG for week 1. 

-Rudolph won me over. I know a lot of people that were high on him and saying that he was gonna make the final 53 right after being signed. I thought they were crazy, but Rudolph put on a show last night. He looked quick and showed the ability to make big plays that he showed at FSU. He probably still wont make the team, because that would mean Lewis, King, or Harris are cut, but he'll make a team somewhere. 

-This defense is insane. So confident and so good. They are going to dominate. And im glad Neon Deayon got his pick. He has to make the team as the 5th corner. Hed make a solid backup slot corner.

-Darkwa, Perkins, and Vereen are going to make for a solid trio of RBs. We saw what the first 2 could do with decent blocking in this game. Both looked pretty good. 

Very happy with what i saw, especially since it was the 3rd preseason game and the offense was going against a solid defense. That front 4 the Jets have is pretty damn good. 

Cant believe i forgot to mention Engram. He is going to be a premier tight end in no time. The one route he ran which resulted in a first down catch he had the LB covering him on skates. It was beautiful. Then on the touchdown run, he delivered a key down block on the edge that was pretty vicious, especially coming from a TE. Super impressed with him. He is incredibly talented. 

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Cant believe i forgot to mention Engram. He is going to be a premier tight end in no time. The one route he ran which resulted in a first down catch he had the LB covering him on skates. It was beautiful. Then on the touchdown run, he delivered a key down block on the edge that was pretty vicious, especially coming from a TE. Super impressed with him. He is incredibly talented. 

You made it to the New forum!

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Let's hope they don't bring him along slowly due to blocking deficiencies. He will be very fun to watch and great asset to Eli. It really seems like the OL is the only thing holding this team back

13 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

Let's hope they don't bring him along slowly due to blocking deficiencies. He will be very fun to watch and great asset to Eli. It really seems like the OL is the only thing holding this team back

If by holding back you mean weak link, then yes definitely. But the OL is going to be better than people think, especially if mcadoo makes the changes he should make. Bobby Hart has been outstanding this preseason, Richburg and Pugh are at least solid. Flowers has his troubles with speed rushers but is a monster in the run game. If Brett Jones starts at RG, that is a solid OL that isnt going to dominate the line of scrimmage but should give Eli enough time to find his many weapons and the backs decent sized holes to run through. Im hopeful. 

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

My god that was ugly. That's what scares me about this dude. That LB literally had no shot there.

That's the route I was talking about. He had that LB on skates. He looks like a WR when he runs routes. Compare that to Tye or Adams.

27 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's the route I was talking about. He had that LB on skates. He looks like a WR when he runs routes. Compare that to Tye or Adams.

I'm an Eagles fan but I've followed this guy for a while. When someone 234 lbs runs like he does, and is such a smooth athlete that's going to be a huge problem for teams once he's not thinking about how to work in the offense. When he knows exactly what he's going to be doing it's gonna be an issue for defenses.

3 hours ago, Jlash said:

I'm an Eagles fan but I've followed this guy for a while. When someone 234 lbs runs like he does, and is such a smooth athlete that's going to be a huge problem for teams once he's not thinking about how to work in the offense. When he knows exactly what he's going to be doing it's gonna be an issue for defenses.

The key phrase when teammates and coaches were talking about Engram this summer has been "playing fast", which was normally also accompanied by "not thinking too much". The biggest hurdle has been, just as you said, learning the offense and playing without thinking too much. He's already made pretty big strides. He's been seeing a lot more action with the 1s in practice and in the games. I think he played more snaps than Ellison did against the Jets. He's coming along nicely.

It really needs to be stated again that he is such a fluid, smooth athlete. He glides on the field. He could be a good one.

Archived