O...B...J... IS A CLEVELAND BROWN

Horseunit

He's a phenomenal talent, but I'm not selling the farm for a ball-dominant WR.  I'm just not.  Super Bowl teams typically prove that it's just not a recipe for sustained success.  We also have a QB that spreads the ball around.  I'm not giving up a bunch of assets and money on Beckham when those resources can go elsewhere, where they better fit our needs.  Don't @ me. 

• Like 3

Sign Trey Flowers

Trade our 2 this year, plus our 1 next year for OBJ

Trade back from 17 for a pick between 28-32 + a 2nd round pick

Draft:

1st. DeAndre Baker or Noah Fant

2nd. Jeffery Simmons or Julian Love

3rd. LJ Collier or Daniel Wise

3rd. Kaleb McGary or LJ Collier

4th. Best TE available or best OT

5th. Interior OL

5th. LB

Edited by Fatgerman

5 hours ago, bruceb said:

No.

Yes.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What is the point of linking these random opinion pieces?  Just because it’s published doesn’t mean it’s a sound take.

Oh it is. You'll see. We're getting him.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

how the hell is OBJ a cancer? AB, now he is a cancer and a me, me, me guy. OBJ is a diva but has never put himself ahead of the team. 

Baker can handle him. The trio will be legendary.

I think I would give up our first this year.I'm not giving up multiple firsts.

His cap hit would be 16.75 this year and average around 15 after that (never reaches $16 million again). After 2019 we could cut him and it would only cost $7 million. We wouldn't. .If he wants to restructure then N/M not interested.

OBJ is a poor loser. He gets mad at losing. He isn't a give me the ball guy if his team is winning. I'm okay with a poor loser if we aren't losing

We don't have to build a defense. Besides turnovers in the first half of the year, we got about as little from our defense as possible. Garrett, Ogunjobi, Ogbah are good pieces on the line. Schobert, Kirksey, Avery and Collins certainly aren't towards the bottom of LBer groups in the league. We have a lot of talent in the secondary. We just need a better scheme and to put players in a position to succeed and learn how to tackle. I'm not confident in our DC but I'll give him a chance to get more out of the group than the last regime did.

We're in win now mode folks. I don't want to sell the farm for a #1 WR that we don't really need but I didn't really want to sign a really good RB that we didn't need who had issues but we did that for a specific reason. Deep playoff run. OBJ isn't going to add a lot of wins in the regular season. It's a win in the playoffs that we would be trading for.

Edited by Thomas5737
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Horseunit said:

So which draft prospects at pick 17 and 49 would have a bigger impact on winning games than Odell?

It’s not just the draft picks, there’s the salary too.

So the question you should be asking is which of those pairs of players and a free agent making 10ish a year would I want. 

6 hours ago, Horseunit said:

Draftwire has us with Byron Murphy and Dre'Mont Jones

Alpha Football has Christian Wilkins and Yondey Cajuste

Since you asked, those would be my choices.

Now which free agents do I get to pick from as well?

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

We don't have to build a defense. Besides turnovers in the first half of the year, we got about as little from our defense as possible.

Possibly.  

Garrett, Ogunjobi, Ogbah are good pieces on the line.

I hope someday my wife shows me the love and commitment you’ve shown to Emmanuel Ogbah. 😂  He’s got 12 sacks in 3 seasons and was rated as the 84th best edge player by PFF.

In all seriousness, I too think a good DC should be able to get more out of him, but thus far he’s been pretty underwhelming.

Most of us feel adding at least two contributors to the DL is a must.

Schobert, Kirksey, Avery and Collins certainly aren't towards the bottom of LBer groups in the league.

Agreed.  I’d be surprised to see Collins back though, but it’s possible.

We have a lot of talent in the secondary.

Eh, we have 3 talented starters and some question marks tbh.  The depth is no bueno imo.

We just need a better scheme and to put players in a position to succeed and learn how to tackle.

Not saying you’re wrong, but that’s likely something fans of all bad defenses could say.  Those issues and a lack of talent aren’t mutually exclusive.

We're in win now mode folks.

For sure.  With Kitchens, was Baker looking like he needed a “superstar” WR to win?  

I don't want to sell the farm for a #1 WR that we don't really need but I didn't really want to sign a really good RB that we didn't need who had issues but we did that for a specific reason. Deep playoff run.

Nonsensical comparison.  Both are superstars but one costs us next to nothing (in NFL context).  No picks and non guaranteed contract.

OBJ isn't going to add a lot of wins in the regular season. It's a win in the playoffs that we would be trading for.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

We have 5 1st rounders I want to resign in the coming years, 

Mg 22py
Peppers 10 py
Njoku 11py

Baker 30py
Denzel 17py

that is a lot of change to spend

Njoku $11m per year? Ain’t no way I. Hell he is worth that kind of money. Kelce made $10m for one season and has been $8m. Zac Ertz had one season of $10m one at $9m But also had a season of $4m, $7m, and $8m twice on his contract. 

If Njoku is looking for a deal where he is making $11m a year. These next 3 seasons he better be a damn near monster or you let his arse walk because right now he looks nothing like a $11mpy. At best he is a $9mpy type player. 

$10mpy for Peppers is much. Unless he truly elevates his game over the next 3years. Tony Jefferson was a young and great safety who hit the FA mark and he only makes $8.5m 

Yeah over the next 3years the market can change but I truly can’t see those two make that kind of money

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Njoku $11m per year? Ain’t no way I. Hell he is worth that kind of money. Kelce made $10m for one season and has been $8m. Zac Ertz had one season of $10m one at $9m But also had a season of $4m, $7m, and $8m twice on his contract. 

If Njoku is looking for a deal where he is making $11m a year. These next 3 seasons he better be a damn near monster or you let his arse walk because right now he looks nothing like a $11mpy. At best he is a $9mpy type player. 

$10mpy for Peppers is much. Unless he truly elevates his game over the next 3years. Tony Jefferson was a young and great safety who hit the FA mark and he only makes $8.5m 

Yeah over the next 3years the market can change but I truly can’t see those two make that kind of money

I mean, he listed 90 million per year in total salary and you’re arguing about 5 million of it.

I think his point still stands.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NateDawg said:

He's a phenomenal talent, but I'm not selling the farm for a ball-dominant WR.  I'm just not.  Super Bowl teams typically prove that it's just not a recipe for sustained success.  We also have a QB that spreads the ball around.  I'm not giving up a bunch of assets and money on Beckham when those resources can go elsewhere, where they better fit our needs.  Don't @ me. 

There is only one recipe for success in the NFL. That is get a franchise QB. Whatever you do outside of that is what you want to do. 

There is no formula or blueprint to winnIng a Super Bowl. It differs from year to year. The only constant variable is to have a QB playing at a top tier/elite level. 

You want to get Baker to play at that top tier elite level at a young age. Surround him with offensive weapons. He looked good last year with avg and good WRs. Let’s see what he can do with an elite level WR. OBJ makes everyone better on that offense. Dude has been a stud with the giants and he has been with a broken Eli. He might not put up a Stat like for a season like he did previous years because he might not get the number of targets but he might make more splash and critical plays for the browns than in years past. 

Just saying you have a chance to add a young elite player, you can’t pass it up.

Also ppl say Baker is so good at distributing the ball. Well if a team really wants to game plan to take away OBJ,l and want to double him. they really will just make the game easier for Baker because it means every other receiving option is going to be seeing a simplier coverage and baker can exploit that. Means the browns with Freddie and Monken can exploit the chances of more man to man coverage and less safety help cause of the double team bracketing on OBJ. 

• Like 1