Who are the greatest never was' of the NFL?

Kiwibrown

For the browns in my life time there have been 3. 

Tim Couch was a fantastic talent and I think he could been a top 5 qb in the nfl with competent coaching and somewhat functional organization. The browns scheme demanded 7 step drops without the line or the receivers for it. He got punished for it.

Courtney Brown was also a phenomenal talent 6'5" 270 and run the 40 sub 4.6, he was hit hard by the injury bug. 

Josh Gordon, if he didnt have multiple substance abuse issues he is a top wr in the nfl.

Aaron Hernandez is an interesting case.

Not sure if he would have been an all time great or anything, but the combo of him and Gronk would have been absolutely nasty for years to come. Good chance that the Pats win more than just the 3 this decade if what happened didn't happen with him.

25 minutes ago, otg said:

For the Bengals; Greg Cook, Odell Thurman, and Chris Henry.

good list

Cook.. before my time, but from my understanding was a can't miss QB that got finished by a bad shoulder

the other two.. ALL-PRO talents that were just total knuckleheads, especially Odell..that dude was the best player on the defense as a rookie. He was just everywhere. 

Jeff Samarzdjia - the San Francisco Giants P was also an All American WR for Notre Dame in 2007. He was widely considered the #2 WR prospect that year, behind Calvin Johnson. He wasn't a speed guy, but had some special hands and body control at 6' 5" 220. He reminded me a lot of Larry Fitzgerald in college.

Charlie Ward - Well before Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson (or even before Michael Vick) there was Ward, a dual threat QB out of Florida State. His running skill and quick read/recognition skills allowed him to run that FSU "fast break" RPO offense, and he ran it all the way to a National Title and a Heisman. Ward quickly declared that he would play basketball if he wasn't a 1st round draft pick, then fully declared for basketball even before the combine. He had a very respectful career in the NBA as a point guard, with stints with the Knicks, Spurs and Rockets.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

Aldon Smith

Great call, Aldon Smith had some of the best technique and natural understanding of how to rush the passer in a long time

A Few:

Bo Jackson - No explanation needed

Sean Taylor - easily would have been a HOF'r

Sterling Sharpe - Clearly was on HOF pace and was viewed on the same level of Jerry Rice, its a shame he isn't in due to injuries that cut his career short.

Jerome Brown - Was Warren Sapp before Warren Sapp, also was a part of one of the most underrated DLs in NFL history while at Philadelphia along with Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, and Mike Golic. Died after his 5th season but had two Pro Bowls and a two first team All Pro votings

Darrell Russell - had all the tools to be a stud, had a two year span where he had 19.5 sacks at 6'5 325

Lawrence Phillips - I wish he could have seen a counselor and gotten some type of life skills and got his life in order. He had tremendous talent at his individual position

Maurice Clarett - Similar to Phillips situation, I would have liked to see what his career would have looked like if he has his life in order (Though he's doing well for himself now)

Dri Archer - I was a fan of his and thought he could be dynamic in the right setting, I wonder if he had gone to another situation if the outcome could have been different, ran a 4.26 and I thought at the worst he could excel in the special teams

Andy Katzenmoyer - Had he not had a neck injury, he could have been really good. He was 6'4 260, ran a 4.58 and hit like a ton of bricks

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Jerome Brown - Was Warren Sapp before Warren Sapp, also was a part of one of the most underrated DLs in NFL history while at Philadelphia along with Reggie White, Clyde Simmons, and Mike Golic. Died after his 5th season but had two Pro Bowls and a two first team All Pro votings

Was the first player who came to my mind along with Sean Taylor. People might argue but they were great so how can they be a never was? Because  we were denied the full totality of their greatness and potentially  seeing  both become HOF type players due to death.

JB99 and ST21 RIP

For the Pats it's probably Robert Edwards - had 1500 yfs and 12 TDs as a rookie, then blew out his knee playing volleyball at the pro-bowl, and was never the same. He was lucky he didn't lose his leg, so the fact he made any comeback at all was remarkable, but he never fulfilled his promise. Ended up playing a solid few seasons in the CFL.

Archived