Total Control Mock Draft.

DTMW78

Hey fellas, I will be taking part in TCMD as the Ravens GM and was hoping you guys would be willing to chip in with some advice as Baltimore is a roster I'm not all that familiar with.

I've been reading through some of the threads to try and get a better understanding of team needs and who you would like to keep out of your own crop of F.A.

So, 2 questions to start off with.

1: what are the teams top 3 needs? 

2: which of your free agents from the list below would you like to see resigned?

UFA

3087 - Brent Urban - 34DE
3655 - Terrell Suggs - 34OLB
3710 - Za'Darius Smith - 34OLB
3113 - C.J. Mosley - ILB
3596 - Robert Griffin III - QB
3107 - Buck Allen - RB
3684 - Ty Montgomery - RB
3514 - Maxx Williams - TE
3549 - Nick Boyle - TE
3352 - John Brown - WR

ERFA

3197 - De'Lance Turner - RB
3283 - Gus Edwards - RB
3338 - Jermaine Eluemunor - RG
3507 - Matt Skura - C
3569 - Quincy Adeboyejo - WR
4019 - Steven Moore - RT

RFA

3557 - Patrick Onwuasor - ILB
3018 - Alex Collins - RB
3637 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste - CB
3521 - Michael Pierce - 34DT

Any input would be greatly appreciated and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

4 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

Hey fellas, I will be taking part in TCMD as the Ravens GM and was hoping you guys would be willing to chip in with some advice as Baltimore is a roster I'm not all that familiar with.

I've been reading through some of the threads to try and get a better understanding of team needs and who you would like to keep out of your own crop of F.A.

2: which of your free agents from the list below would you like to see resigned?

UFA

3113 - C.J. Mosley - ILB
3107 - Buck Allen - RB
3549 - Nick Boyle - TE
3352 - John Brown - WR

ERFA

3283 - Gus Edwards - RB
3507 - Matt Skura - C
4019 - Steven Moore - RT

RFA

3018 - Alex Collins - RB

Any input would be greatly appreciated and hopefully we can get some discussion going.

1. As you can see, I didn't go for Matt Skura, I believe he is the somewhat weakest spot on the oline, and if we OC/OG early in the draft, that player would compete with Bozeman for the starting job with Hurst as the LG/in contention with the loser of the OC battle.

Our second need is really up in the air, as Crabtree could be seen as a cap casualty, as well as Weddle and maybe Jimmy Smith. I see a free safety/centerfielder as the second most important need to be filled - although maybe a DeShonn Elliot could claim that spot.

The third most important need is a pass catching back with some playmaking ability in the mold of Darrell Hendersen/Darwin Thompson - this spot could also go to Alex Collins, but that should be the backup option.

2. I am very much in the "keep as much talent as we can", but if I should choose between Zardarius Smith and Mosley, I would choose smith. We don't have a direct backup to what he does, we have 3-4 options to use in that ILB rotation with Kenny Young, Peanut, Levine and maybe a Chris Board or Bam Bradley could be used there as well.

10 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

UFA

3113 - C.J. Mosley - ILB
3107 - Buck Allen - RB
3549 - Nick Boyle - TE
3352 - John Brown - WR

ERFA

3283 - Gus Edwards - RB
3507 - Matt Skura - C

4019 - Steven Moore - RT

RFA

3018 - Alex Collins - RB

Biggest needs:

1. Center

2. WR

3. IDL- dominant pass rushing option inside.

4. OG

5. FS

That said, I’d rather we target a WR or IDL early. Better elite talent at the top of the draft at those spots.

16 minutes ago, Ras said:

IDK what his contract is like but you guys don't think we can trade Jimmy Smith? Honestly I thought he should have been traded last year.

Last year you can’t trade him because of the injury, he would’ve had to pass a physical to complete the trade. And now it would be foolish to trade him now that he’s getting back to form. You don’t trade top notch corners. Especially considering we’ve had durability issues with all of our corners minus Brandon Carr (who is also our oldest corner). I’d rather we overpay for the luxury of never having a concern at corner than to underpay and not have that peace of mind.

16 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Last year you can’t trade him because of the injury, he would’ve had to pass a physical to complete the trade. And now it would be foolish to trade him now that he’s getting back to form. You don’t trade top notch corners. Especially considering we’ve had durability issues with all of our corners minus Brandon Carr (who is also our oldest corner). I’d rather we overpay for the luxury of never having a concern at corner than to underpay and not have that peace of mind.

If Smith and Carr are the 2 outside corners, who plays the slot and What's the depth like behind them?

2 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

If Smith and Carr are the 2 outside corners, who plays the slot and What's the depth like behind them?

Smith and Carr will rotate at one outside CB spot, as the other is manned by Marlon Humphrey

Tavon Young was a very good slot CB last year (the Cincy game not withstanding), and Maurice Canady was pretty good in the slot 2 years ago when Young was injured

I guess you could trade him for the sake of getting to make extra picks in a mock draft, but I wouldn't trade him irl if I were in charge

On 2/15/2019 at 6:52 AM, diamondbull424 said:

I really toiled to think which I would resign of the two and couldn’t decide. So I abstained.xD

I honestly think the decision will be made for us by money. I think Boyle might get a nice chunk of change to go somewhere like Indianapolis where he would be a great complement to a guy like Ebron. If I had to handicap it, I’d say it’s 55% Williams, 25% Boyle, 15% neither, 5% both. 

16 hours ago, drd23 said:

Smith and Carr will rotate at one outside CB spot, as the other is manned by Marlon Humphrey

Tavon Young was a very good slot CB last year (the Cincy game not withstanding), and Maurice Canady was pretty good in the slot 2 years ago when Young was injured

I guess you could trade him for the sake of getting to make extra picks in a mock draft, but I wouldn't trade him irl if I were in charge

I generally agree with this. I’m open to trading him if someone makes a good enough offer, but we certainly don’t NEED to trade him. I will say this, though, the ability to roll over cap space makes these decisions a bit more difficult as it’s not “use it or lose it” anymore. In some ways that rule hurts veteran players at the end of their contracts IMO (which would seem opposed to typical goals of the NFLPA). So definitely need to consider the use of that $$ in future years. Again, though, if he’s playing well, we have a really good thing going. 

So I guess I will leave the corner backs as they are, if it ain't broke...

I noticed Max Williams is on a couple of the resign lists. I was under the impression he'd not been particularly successful in his time in Baltimore. Would I be wrong in thinking that?

10 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

So I guess I will leave the corner backs as they are, if it ain't broke...

I noticed Max Williams is on a couple of the resign lists. I was under the impression he'd not been particularly successful in his time in Baltimore. Would I be wrong in thinking that?

His first season was good, then he had two seasons missed with injuries, came back this year as a good blocker and versatile as both a tight end and fullback. He could be brought back at a modest contract, still only 24, but the upside is gone. Reliable but not a playmaker.

Archived