NFC North Rivals 2019 Talk

dll2000

Grossman and Orton were both bad or below average QBs.  I never liked either one from get go.  

Scratch that.  I was hopeful for like a minute when Urlacher was bragging how good Grossman was in 7 on 7 in off season.  

If Allen was QB of Bears being coached by Nagy going into his second year I wouldn't be upset.  Yet.  Not hating on Mitch, just saying Allen is a nice talent and with good coaching and talent around him he might be something.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Yes, he was IMO. Outside of one hot streak he was pretty consistently bad. 

Winning a few games means little over a career. McCown won us a few games, Orton did, Kordell did. Even trash QBs can have good games. That year we won vs AZ and MIN even though he was the best asset the other team had. He was the reason we lost to NE and too. 

He had 2 years in Chicago and 3 years in his career that he had more TDs than INTs. One of those was a 2 TD/1 INT rookie year. He was pretty poor. Not bad as a reserve, but he wasn't starter material. 

I'd take Orton over Rex. Rex had a much higher ceiling on his good play, but his basement was so much lower too. I'd rather my back up be consistent at least. 

Without Grossman they don't have the win total they do in 2006, and I'll leave it at that. They also don't play in the Super Bowl. My argument isn't that he was great, but his bad games are stuck in the minds of the city and there is no convincing them that there were good games mixed in.

43 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Without Grossman they don't have the win total they do in 2006, and I'll leave it at that. They also don't play in the Super Bowl. My argument isn't that he was great, but his bad games are stuck in the minds of the city and there is no convincing them that there were good games mixed in.

Yup. Same example kinda look at Marion Barber. I thought he was a great back for the Bears but he will only be remember by most for his screw up that took the TD away and a win and his botched back flip TD celebration.

47 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's fair, he deserves credit for what he did well just as much she did what he did poorly. And he definitely does not get the credit he deserved for when he did play will because of those bad games sticking out in fans minds.

I just think he was a high end reserve kind of player, and 25 or more QBs could have ended the season with as many wins. Kind of like the Dilfer deal in BAL,  they just needed someone not to blow it for them more than won it for them.

22 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Packers having a good day. Finally realizing that Rodgers can win super bowls by himself.

I'm not sure paying Amos, Smith and Smith about $30M/year is a "good day" but to each their own. They aren't drafting well enough to keep their own guys anymore, so this is the route those teams have to go.

Edited by beardown3231

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not sure paying Amos, Smith and Smith about $30M/year is a "good day" but to each their own. They aren't drafting well enough to keep their own guys anymore, so this is the route those teams have to go.

At bottom, it shows that they think they have a window (re: Rodgers) and are moving the chips in. Plus. they have some nice draft capital this year too, iirc. I hate them. Hopefully this is all overpay and they continue to draft bums lol

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They swapped out Haha and added Amos.

Swapped out Mathews and Perry and added Smiths.

And they are paying more.

Not really much of an upgrade overall, arguably it isn't one.  They have more depth and guys in prime now on outside.  But it's not like those guys are world beaters you have to game plan around.

• Like 1

I was far more worried we see an off season where Packers add Antonio Brown, a ball hawking safety and a top rookie OLB.

These guys they added are just guys.  Good football players, but just guys.  

On a good day a guy like a Brown or a Mack can destroy your whole game plan by themselves.  

• Like 2

GB isn't gonna just slink off to a corner and be content to just compete.  Not as long as they still have Rodgers.

But I see them as somewhat like we were around 2010 or so with our defensive stars aging and several poor drafts finding no replacements.

We left an era of having developed much of our own top talent for an era where we had to pay a premium in FA to compete and it appears that GB is headed in that direction as well after having long ignored spending on premium priced FAs.  Let's see how it works for them.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, dll2000 said:

Not really much of an upgrade overall, arguably it isn't one.  They have more depth and guys in prime now on outside.  But it's not like those guys are world beaters you have to game plan around.

Getting rid of Matthews and Perry and replacing them with dependable football players is a huge upgrade. Let's not kid ourselves.

Does it change the balance of power in the NFC? Well...no, but those are good moves. 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:03 AM, dll2000 said:

I was far more worried we see an off season where Packers add Antonio Brown, a ball hawking safety and a top rookie OLB.

I was terrified, and somewhat convinced, they were going to get Brown. Did my mad scientist happy dance when Oakland did, instead. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:59 AM, dll2000 said:

At any rate it puts a couple more OLB/Edge Rushers out there who might be had for a bargain price and be effective in a rotation.

Can anyone imagine Clay Matthews in orange and navy sacking Rodgers instead of Cutler?  We do owe them some payback for Pep. LOL

Edited by soulman

2 hours ago, soulman said:

At any rate it puts a couple more OLB/Edge Rushers out there who might be had for a bargain price and be effective in a rotation.

Can anyone imagine Clay Matthews in orange and navy sacking Rodgers instead of Cutler?  We do owe them some payback for Pep. LOL

Matthews has basically nothing left IMO.