NFC North Rivals 2019 Talk

dll2000

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Rodgers has spent 11 years running McCarthy's WCO nearly to perfection.

I'd argue that he hasn't run it to perfection. In fact, I'd say he wasn't even running an offense outside of "I'm going to run around for a while and then throw it to a scrambling WR." Playground 101. Luckily, it's this nonsense that has prevented them from winning another championship. As Rodgers' ever-increasing ego has caused him to move farther away from operating in a fixed system, the less successful they've been. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

http://www.startribune.com/aaron-rodgers-and-new-coach-matt-lafleur-already-disagree-about-audibles/511513682/

Per Michael Silver on NFL.com, LaFleur said this recently: “Aaron and I have had some good talks, and we’re going to have to talk a lot more — and one thing we have to work through is the audible thing. … We’ve never really had a quarterback who’s had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that’s not really the way the offense is set up. But, I mean, this is Aaron Rodgers. He’s had a lot of freedom to make those calls, and deservedly so. Now, how do we reconcile that, and get to a place where we put him in the best position to succeed?

Yes, how do you do that? Well, Rodgers has an idea. Basically: Let me do my thing. Also per the NFL.com story:

“It’s a conversation in progress. I don’t think you want to ask me to turn off 11 years (of recognizing defenses). We have a number of check with mes and line-of-scrimmage stuff. It’s just the other stuff that really not many people in this league can do. That’s not like a humblebrag or anything; that’s just a fact. There aren’t many people that can do at the line of scrimmage what I’ve done over the years. I mean, obviously, Tommy (Brady) can do it, no doubt. Peyton (Manning) could do it. Drew (Brees) can do it. (Patrick) Mahomes will be able to do it. Ben (Roethlisberger) has called the two-minute for years. There are a few of us who’ve just done it; it’s kind of second nature. And that’s just the icing on the cake for what I can do in this offense.”

I have variations on conversations like that pretty much every day with my 5-year-old. In those scenarios, I’m usually LaFleur and Rodgers is the 5-year-old.

nGD1htg.gif

4 hours ago, yomyyo said:

I'd argue that he hasn't run it to perfection. In fact, I'd say he wasn't even running an offense outside of "I'm going to run around for a while and then throw it to a scrambling WR." Playground 101. Luckily, it's this nonsense that has prevented them from winning another championship. As Rodgers' ever-increasing ego has caused him to move farther away from operating in a fixed system, the less successful they've been. 

Well at least HE believes he's been running it to perfection and probably because the media keeps saying he is despite not having won any championships lately.

I tend to agree with you in that his desire to free lance more was creating friction with McCarthy and it's already creating an issue with LaFleur.  Not good.

I see it as an issue of if he can't win big he still wants to build his own stats by running things his own way.  I also believe the GB Front Office realized hiring LaFleur might present a problem with Rodgers challenging LaFleur over control of the offense.  I expect they'll work out some kind of compromise that won't please either of them entirely simply because in the pros that's the way it's done.

Edited by soulman

On 6/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, soulman said:

Well at least HE believes he's been running it to perfection and probably because the media keeps saying he is despite not having won any championships lately.

I tend to agree with you in that his desire to free lance more was creating friction with McCarthy and it's already creating an issue with LaFleur.  Not good.

I see it as an issue of if he can't win big he still wants to build his own stats by running things his own way.  I also believe the GB Front Office realized hiring LaFleur might present a problem with Rodgers challenging LaFleur over control of the offense.  I expect they'll work out some kind of compromise that won't please either of them entirely simply because in the pros that's the way it's done.

LaFleur has to realize he’s the one who’s going to have to give here. Even if he believes Rodgers is a problem (which I’m certainly not suggesting) he’s basically unmovable for the next 3 seasons from a cap perspective. 

That said, I’d love to see them shooting sideline daggers and media barbs at each other for a few years. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

LaFleur has to realize he’s the one who’s going to have to give here. Even if he believes Rodgers is a problem (which I’m certainly not suggesting) he’s basically unmovable for the next 3 seasons from a cap perspective. 

That said, I’d love to see them shooting sideline daggers and media barbs at each other for a few years. 

Well he took the job with full disclosure so so he has to figure out how to work it so Aaron is happy or at least cooperative.

Whatever happens it will be interesting to watch.

5 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well he took the job with full disclosure so so he has to figure out how to work it so Aaron is happy or at least cooperative.

Whatever happens it will be interesting to watch.

He was hired and they called Rodgers and told him after.  Here's your new coach Aaron, don't be the problem they said. 

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He was hired and they called Rodgers and told him after.  Here's your new coach Aaron, don't be the problem they said. 

I guess what I mean is LaFleur wasn't blind to Rodgers personality or his expectations and even Aaron Rodgers doesn't get to pick his HC.

Anyway, that's their issue and I couldn't care less.  If we play up to our capabilities we beat them even at their best. 

We're finally the better team.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:31 PM, beardown3231 said:

There's a ton in Chicago. Moncada, Anderson and Jimenez for the Sox. Castillo, Baez and Bryant for the Cubs. The obvious guys for the Hawks.This could be a fun next 5-7 years

Don’t forget Lauri 😎

• Like 1