Backup QB's

firstplace

I am shocked when I see the mocks posted and it seems that everyone is happy with our backup QB's. I think we need to draft one with a number 2 or 3 pick. Kizer should be traded or converted to something. Boyle is a huge question. He only started a few games in college. What are your thoughts? What can we do about Kizer? Remember, everyone on the team is learning a new offense and defense. I vote draft Clayton Thorson. Let's hear it.

Nah, thing is , if ARod goes down, we ain’t winning anything,  we might not even with him.   Only scenario it matters is like a concussion wehere we need to tread water 1-2 games,   If Aaron misses more than that we want to lose them all and get a better pick.....

1 hour ago, firstplace said:

I am shocked when I see the mocks posted and it seems that everyone is happy with our backup QB's. I think we need to draft one with a number 2 or 3 pick. Kizer should be traded or converted to something. Boyle is a huge question. He only started a few games in college. What are your thoughts? What can we do about Kizer? Remember, everyone on the team is learning a new offense and defense. I vote draft Clayton Thorson. Let's hear it.

Happy probably isn't the right word.  Content is probably a better way to put it.  At the end of the day, we're paying Rodgers $30M/year to be our franchise QB so we've already spent that much on our starting QB.  The higher end backup QBs are getting $4M to $7M, which quite frankly I'd rather spend elsewhere than QB.  And spending a Day 1 pick means you're drafting for Rodgers' heir, which is probably 2-3 years too early.  And a Day 2 pick has as good a chance to succeed as Kizer does.

4 hours ago, firstplace said:

I agree with everything except... Thorson sucks. 

14 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Kiser is probably better than any non 1st round QB , and just as young,   He’ll be fine.   Hope we can extend him for cheap before he gets good.

People forget that there were talk that we were considering Kizer when we grabbed King.  Probably trying to create interest for another trade down, but he was on our radar.  He's still very young and with a less complicated offense he may start to show a little more.  Like people mentioned, we have all the resources in the QB slot that we can afford.  I'm interested to see if Kizer flashes a little more this year.

36 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

People forget that there were talk that we were considering Kizer when we grabbed King.  Probably trying to create interest for another trade down, but he was on our radar.  He's still very young and with a less complicated offense he may start to show a little more.  Like people mentioned, we have all the resources in the QB slot that we can afford.  I'm interested to see if Kizer flashes a little more this year.

We also considered Justin Harrell over Leon Hall, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Reggie Nelson, Dwayne Bowe, Brandon Meriweather, Jon Beason, Anthony Spencer, Joe Staley, Ben Grubbs, Greg Olsen, Eric Weddle, Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, LaMar Woodley, Steve Smith and Ryan Kalil. Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

Kizer just doesn't have that certain something. Awareness, presence, whatever it is, he doesn't seem to have it and I don't think it can be learned

6 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Kizer just doesn't have that certain something. Awareness, presence, whatever it is, he doesn't seem to have it and I don't think IT can be learned

I think that the small sample that we saw of Boyle last preseason, he shows more IT than Kizer.

Like I said in the Free agent thread, I would love to see Josh McCown be brought in to be number two QB, fully learn the system, and then transition into the coaching staff after one or two years to help develop Rodgers' eventual replacement.  In my opinion, if we have a quick turn around and are back to playoff football, coaches like Hackett and Getsy will be in high demand to move up and will be pursued by other teams for head coaching positions.

4 hours ago, firstplace said:

Who would you prefer? Thorson has started 50 plus games, was coming off a knee injury last year and played well with bad talent around him. I think he would be great with better players beside him. My opinion.

I’ve watched him in big games and been less than impressed. 

Love the kid from Duke but with all the team needs wouldn’t think about him till the 4th at the earliest but more than likely the 5th. Just too much else we need to improve on. 

Better option is an aging bet to be a stop gap until we need to invest a high pick on a QB or, Boyle or Kizer develop

18 hours ago, firstplace said:

oof so... Drafting a backup QB, who you hope never sees the field at 30 or in the 2nd should get you fired. Kizer is terrible, no doubt about it. Like, he's suuuuuuper bad. Boyle is probably also bad. Clayton Thorson, also terrible: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/clayton-thorson-1.html

Thorson's completion %s are bad, his AY/A's are bad and for the last two years of his career, his TD:INT ratio was trash. He sucks. He's not just not good, he sucks. There's no point in spending decent draft capital at backup QB, and there's certainly no point in spending it on a QB who has shown no indications of being anything more than a mediocre B1G QB.

Archived