Backup QB's

firstplace

Our  offence is mediocre with Rodgers and very bad without him. 

I sort of get (but strongly disagree with) the argument that if you have Rodgers , you can ignore the offence in the draft and have Aaron turn the late rounders into good players. But if you go down that route then you basically have nothing when he goes down. Investing a lot in a backup QB to be a backup QB is pretty much a waste of resources. You have traded for Kizer so at this point might as well work with them and try and develop them.

Throwing resources at a backup QB may turn 30-0 defeats into 30-14 defeats but isn't going to improve our chances of doing much next season.

The only reason to draft a QB early is if you are seriously looking at him to succeed Rodgers. I would say its probably a year early for that.

The problem is that Rogers is getting older, he will be more prone to injury and an older guy takes longer to heal. Kizer does not have IT! HE SUCKS! The Packers have to have a good backup QB. They need to draft one. The drafted one will be inexpensive. Or trade for one that may become available. Kizer started for a year in Cleveland, played half a year in GB and when he came in at the end of this year he looked like he had never been on a football field! 

10 minutes ago, firstplace said:

The problem is that Rogers is getting older, he will be more prone to injury and an older guy takes longer to heal. Kizer does not have IT! HE SUCKS! The Packers have to have a good backup QB. They need to draft one. The drafted one will be inexpensive. Or trade for one that may become available. Kizer started for a year in Cleveland, played half a year in GB and when he came in at the end of this year he looked like he had never been on a football field! 

!

I don’t disagree but this isn’t the draft to do it...none of these QBs would have been a first round pick last year or in 2017.  Wait to see if a QB falls in 2020 or 2021.

My thought on the O is simple, OL.  When our offense is humming we have a good OL, when it struggles we don’t.  I hope we spend at least one of our first three picks on our OL.

45 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

I don’t disagree but this isn’t the draft to do it...none of these QBs would have been a first round pick last year or in 2017.  Wait to see if a QB falls in 2020 or 2021.

My thought on the O is simple, OL.  When our offense is humming we have a good OL, when it struggles we don’t.  I hope we spend at least one of our first three picks on our OL.

Agreed. The 2020 draft is supposed to be good for QB's apparently. Perhaps we could snag one late day 2 if we have a solid, productive draft this year. Additionally, I'd also say that you can bank on us drafting an OL at 30 or 44 unless we trade down from either of our first two picks. If Washington wants to leapfrog Miami to get to 12 and we get a 3rd from them. Bank on us picking at least two OL before Day 3 then. It'll be billed as preparing to replace Bulaga, but what it really will be is the team pushing Spriggs to keep improving...

I’m all for getting rid of Kizer because in 2 seasons he’s proven he can’t play.

With that said, if we didn’t get a new one, oh well. It isn’t worth paying a vet 6-8m to back up and still be a big drop off. The Case Keenum story is such an exception. Drafting a qb outside of round 1 is usually a mistake too. For every starter there’s like 10 guys out of the league. If AR went down, optimistically, we’d be left with a young hundley, who can kind of play

Archived