NFL owners have asked (Adam) Silver if he would be willing to switch leagues

buno67

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/nfl-nba-adam-silver-roger-goodell

"NFL owners have asked Silver if he would be willing to switch leagues and replace Roger Goodell as commissioner, according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com. For what it’s worth, Silver claims he has given no thought to the possibility. "

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25994987/adam-silver-given-thought-inquiries-nfl-owners

While Silver did not explicitly confirm that he had been approached by NFL owners, sources close to the situation told ESPN that several NFL owners have tried to persuade Silver to run their league over the course of his five years as the NBA's commissioner. Silver has also been approached by a number of Fortune 500 companies, according to sources.

---------------------------------

Goodell has been a joke of a commish the past few years, where Silver has been an amazing commish for the NBA. Personally, I would love to see it happen.

This would be a ridiculous change just for the sake of change.  I dont like Goodell either, but his contract isnt being renewed after 2023 so at least the end is somewhat in sight.  I think Silver's done an alright job so far, but it's worth noting that there is absolutely no parity in the NBA and the Warriors are just about a lock to win their 4th title in 5 years by a wide margin.  This comes after 4 straight Finals involving the same exact teams

5 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

This would be a ridiculous change just for the sake of change.  I dont like Goodell either, but his contract isnt being renewed after 2023 so at least the end is somewhat in sight.  I think Silver's done an alright job so far, but it's worth noting that there is absolutely no parity in the NBA and the Warriors are just about a lock to win their 4th title in 5 years by a wide margin.  This comes after 4 straight Finals involving the same exact teams

Wasn't Goodell's contract renewed after he got Jerry Jones riled up last season? Arthur Blank and the other owners seem to love him, wouldn't shock me if he got renewed unless he doesn't want to continue being commish.

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

You cant put that on Silver. Basketball is a sport with 10 guys on the court at a time, not 22. Big difference. One or two guys can change the outlook of a whole team, thats hard to do in the NFL.

What was he supposed to do? block KD from signing with the warriors? They drafted all of their other stars. 

I think its good that the owners are even talking about replacing Goodell. Its almost like theyve realized that even if they like him, the FANS HATING HIM IS BAD FOR BUSINESS. 

6 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Adam silver is overrated, the NBA has became less and less competitive across the league under his tutelage.

Not really his fault tho. GSWs just got extremely lucky. They drafted players like Curry Thompson and Green. Greatly out produce their draft spot. They literally drafted one of if not the best shooter of all time outside the top5. Drafted one of the best SGs outside of the top10, and drafted one of the best defensive players in the 2nd rd. Curry had ankle injuries that made him not worth a max contract after his rookie year and got lucky the salary cap went up by a lot that allowed them to sign Durant. 

Also the NBA has never been truly about competition tho. Like 5 teams hold more than half the NBA titles. 

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Silver is a wuss who caves to players. So he’s a 180 from Goodell.

I don’t know about Wuss. Just think he would handle things better than goodell. Could you imagine if Goodell had to handle the Sterling issue. He would have botched that thing to hell 

5 hours ago, buno67 said:

I don’t know about Wuss. Just think he would handle things better than goodell. Could you imagine if Goodell had to handle the Sterling issue. He would have botched that thing to hell 

And forcing a guy to sell when that whole thing was staged for him to do precisely that was the right move?

Silver will cave to any media and/or player pressure 100% of the time. 

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Its almost like they've realized that even if they like him, the FANS HATING HIM IS BAD FOR BUSINESS. 

Yes and no.
Roger is shielding those owners from the fans. If the owners had to "own up" to their private decisions in public and become the target of the fans ire - I think they'd go back to having Roger in a heartbeat.

I also think its silly to get mad at Roger or hate on Roger, all he is doing is what the owners ask of him and what the advertisers/networks demand. Its totally misplaced anger and we've covered that here many times. But that doesn't stop a certain slice of the fan base from hating on Roger as if he's sitting around thinking up these new rules / punishments on his own.

The owners vote on all these changes to the game, Roger is merely the guy who takes the heat. Getting rid of him won't stop the pussification of the NFL, won't make the League any more forgiving of DV or suddenly allow helmet-to-helmet hits. Adam Silver won't stop the Refs from whiffing calls from time to time
Adam Silver can't stop the Safety train that's rolling down the tracks at full speed. And Adam Silver can't stop NFL players from behaving badly nor can he convince the networks and advertisers from pushing back on bad actors tarnishing The Shield

He'd just be a different shade of lipstick on the pig(s)

15 hours ago, buno67 said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/02/nfl-nba-adam-silver-roger-goodell

"NFL owners have asked Silver if he would be willing to switch leagues and replace Roger Goodell as commissioner, according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com. For what it’s worth, Silver claims he has given no thought to the possibility. "

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25994987/adam-silver-given-thought-inquiries-nfl-owners

While Silver did not explicitly confirm that he had been approached by NFL owners, sources close to the situation told ESPN that several NFL owners have tried to persuade Silver to run their league over the course of his five years as the NBA's commissioner. Silver has also been approached by a number of Fortune 500 companies, according to sources.

---------------------------------

Goodell has been a joke of a commish the past few years, where Silver has been an amazing commish for the NBA. Personally, I would love to see it happen.

Anyone would be better than Goodell but let's not go crazy with Silver. The league needs someone who knows the NFL, who's worked in an NFL organization and has a good relationship with the players. There's only 1 guy for the job:

jeff-fisher-fox-sports.jpg?itok=5Zl-a6Dg

Archived