NFL owners have asked (Adam) Silver if he would be willing to switch leagues

buno67

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I don't think it was that.  I can't imagine the retainer costs on the lawyers they're going to have to pay is going to be anywhere short of what they'd pay out as part of a settlement check.

You think lawyers are going to rack up north of $100MM in billable hours during a settlement? What?

Only thing I see it helping is it's an easy win for the NFL against the NBA in a "we are still top dog" kinda move. Which isn't worth much.

Silver seems to either not do much or meddles way over the line as someone who doesn't follow it all the time.

League needs a good rational voice, who's willing to take some heat in order to be fair.
Someone who will grow the game into what it needs to become to succeed long term.

I think a smart commish continues building abroad, but stop focusing on just london. Acquire the AAF, merge it with an 8 team International conference as essentially the rebooted NFL Europe.  Go back to Germany. Have the two leagues come together for the playoffs and championship somewhere in the states that won't get a Super Bowl, or play overseas somewhere. Get's kids interested, can maybe get some ex-soccer/rugby players involved. Use it to test new rules. I think now that everyone can see the games and follow it it will have a base following from people who just love FB.

That's why the NBA has gotten as big as it is, it's international players. Which wasn't really a Silver thing.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:10 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Anyone would be better than Goodell but let's not go crazy with Silver. The league needs someone who knows the NFL, who's worked in an NFL organization and has a good relationship with the players. There's only 1 guy for the job:

jeff-fisher-fox-sports.jpg?itok=5Zl-a6Dg

That moment when the 1 seed in the AFC and the team in dead last have the same record.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, footbull3196 said:

This would be a ridiculous change just for the sake of change.  I dont like Goodell either, but his contract isnt being renewed after 2023 so at least the end is somewhat in sight.  I think Silver's done an alright job so far, but it's worth noting that there is absolutely no parity in the NBA and the Warriors are just about a lock to win their 4th title in 5 years by a wide margin.  This comes after 4 straight Finals involving the same exact teams

So it's Adam Silver's fault that the superstars in that league all want to play together to win championships instead of competing?  Get real.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:56 PM, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Adam silver is overrated, the NBA has became less and less competitive across the league under his tutelage.

It did?  That's his fault?  LeBron James started this era of the 'super team' in 2010 and Adam Silver was not the Commish until 2014. 

Explain.

Part of why Adam Silver gets so much respect from the players and outsiders is because how he handled the Donald Sterling situation.  I don't want to get into details of the situation because it's a touchy subject that can easily violate forum rules.  I'll just say that it was an extremely difficult situation that was teetering on turning the league upside down.  If I remember correctly, this happened when Silver was 'new-ish' as NBA Commish and it's something that really defined him early on.

5 hours ago, showtime said:

So it's Adam Silver's fault that the superstars in that league all want to play together to win championships instead of competing?  Get real.

No, but it is his fault to an extent that he allowed a cap raise that gave the 73 win Warriors an opportunity to sign Durant to a max contract.  He did inherit some of that situation though from Stern, and the new TV deal had already been worked out prior to him taking over so it’s not all on him

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

No, but it is his fault to an extent that he allowed a cap raise that gave the 73 win Warriors an opportunity to sign Durant to a max contract.  He did inherit some of that situation though from Stern, and the new TV deal had already been worked out prior to him taking over so it’s not all on him

Klay Thompson is a free agent this upcoming off-season, as is Kevin Durant.  They signed DeMarcus Cousins for $5.3 million this season and he's the best center in the league when he's healthy.  What is the commish supposed to do when a guy who is a max contract player, decides they're going to sign with the best team in the league for damn near nothing?  That would be like Khalil Mack joining the Patriots for $2 million next season.

Plus, look at the 80's and how it was absolutely dominated by the Celtics and Lakers.  Look at the Jordan Bulls in the 90's.  In the 2000's, the Lakers and Spurs won damn near all the championships.

Basketball is a 5v5 game.  It's the team sport where elite players have the biggest impact.  The players on the teams listed above:  Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Shaq and Tim Duncan....six of the greatest players ever.  All six of those guys would be on most people's top 10 list all-time.  That's what determines who wins championships.

It just so happens that this 'new generation' of player is more included to team up and be friends than to compete.  This started when David Stern was the commish and it is still happening now.

10 hours ago, showtime said:

Part of why Adam Silver gets so much respect from the players and outsiders is because how he handled the Donald Sterling situation.  I don't want to get into details of the situation because it's a touchy subject that can easily violate forum rules.  I'll just say that it was an extremely difficult situation that was teetering on turning the league upside down.  If I remember correctly, this happened when Silver was 'new-ish' as NBA Commish and it's something that really defined him early on.

He handled that the way that would get him the least criticism possible. 

6 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

how was it his fault?

GSW got very lucky to sign Durant because of their own cap situation and the cap going up. Like you said, He inherited it from Stern with the prenegotiated TV deal/money already being in place before he took over. So how is it his fault? What is he suppose to do as a commissioner?  

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Klay Thompson is a free agent this upcoming off-season, as is Kevin Durant.  They signed DeMarcus Cousins for $5.3 million this season and he's the best center in the league when he's healthy.  What is the commish supposed to do when a guy who is a max contract player, decides they're going to sign with the best team in the league for damn near nothing?  That would be like Khalil Mack joining the Patriots for $2 million next season.

Plus, look at the 80's and how it was absolutely dominated by the Celtics and Lakers.  Look at the Jordan Bulls in the 90's.  In the 2000's, the Lakers and Spurs won damn near all the championships.

Basketball is a 5v5 game.  It's the team sport where elite players have the biggest impact.  The players on the teams listed above:  Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, Shaq and Tim Duncan....six of the greatest players ever.  All six of those guys would be on most people's top 10 list all-time.  That's what determines who wins championships.

It just so happens that this 'new generation' of player is more included to team up and be friends than to compete.  This started when David Stern was the commish and it is still happening now.

Yeah, I can’t explain Demarcus Cousins signing with the Warriors for nothing so he can piggyback to a ring.  That indirectly had an impact on Anthony Davis most likely leaving the Pelicans as well, because I don’t think he’d be wanting to leave if he still had Cousins with him.  Both of them were putting up 25/10 on a nightly basis and Jrue Holiday was a perfect third wheel for that team how it was constructed   I think they’d at least be a top 4 team in the West with a healthy Cousins, because they won almost 50 games last year and swept the #3 seed in the West during the first round and this was without him for half the year.  Now we have another situation of a star player wanting to team up with other stars because Pels management couldn’t keep Cousins or give him any other real help after he left

I do think that what silver could do though is add incentives for a player to stay with a franchise and not demand a trade.  Though not entirely sure how that would work out.  And you don’t want to create a situation like the Kings for most of the last decade where they pretty much held Cousins hostage before finally giving him up

14 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah, I can’t explain Demarcus Cousins signing with the Warriors for nothing so he can piggyback to a ring.  That indirectly had an impact on Anthony Davis most likely leaving the Pelicans as well, because I don’t think he’d be wanting to leave if he still had Cousins with him.  Both of them were putting up 25/10 on a nightly basis and Jrue Holiday was a perfect third wheel for that team how it was constructed

That's the point.  Look how a player who is GREAT and in his prime, goes to take damn near no money to piggyback for a ring.  That's what players in the NBA do.  In the NFL, most players don't do that.  That would be like Jalen Ramsey saying in two years, "I'm tired of losing in Jacksonville, I'm going to sign with the Patriots for $2 million a season to get a ring.  Most players in the NFL who 'ring chase' are older guys who spent the primes of their careers with a team and they lost (DeMarcus Ware, Suh, Revis, etc).

That's just the way the culture is in basketball right now.  It was like that before Adam Silver, when LeBron who was in his prime as the best basketball player in the world went to join the Miami Heat with another top 3 player in the world and another all-star.

4 hours ago, showtime said:

That's the point.  Look how a player who is GREAT and in his prime, goes to take damn near no money to piggyback for a ring.  That's what players in the NBA do.  In the NFL, most players don't do that.  That would be like Jalen Ramsey saying in two years, "I'm tired of losing in Jacksonville, I'm going to sign with the Patriots for $2 million a season to get a ring.  Most players in the NFL who 'ring chase' are older guys who spent the primes of their careers with a team and they lost (DeMarcus Ware, Suh, Revis, etc).

That's just the way the culture is in basketball right now.  It was like that before Adam Silver, when LeBron who was in his prime as the best basketball player in the world went to join the Miami Heat with another top 3 player in the world and another all-star.

You do know Cousins tore his achilles which is the most devastating injury in basketball and couldn't get anyone to give him a major deal which is why he signed a short deal with the Warriors to prove himself right?

17 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

You do know Cousins tore his achilles which is the most devastating injury in basketball and couldn't get anyone to give him a major deal which is why he signed a short deal with the Warriors to prove himself right?

The New York Times' Marc Stein reported Cousins turned down a two-year, $40 million deal from the New Orleans Pelicans. The offer came during the 2017-18 season after Cousins suffered a torn Achilles.

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, Cousins will sign a one-year, $5.3 million contract with the reigning NBA champions.

You were saying?

Archived