Will any team break the point differential record within the next 20 years?

LieutenantGains

The 2007 Patriots hold the record with a 315 point differential. Do you think we will see any team break it within the next 20 years? 

For me, this is one of those records that seem almost impossible to break, considering the way football is now with parity and free agency. 

Top 10 Point Differentials Since 1960

1. 2007 Patriots - 315

2. 1999 Rams - 284

3. 1961 Oilers - 271

4. 1962 Packers - 267

5. 1991 Redskins - 261

6. 1998 Vikings - 260

7. 1985 Bears - 258

8. 1968 Colts - 258

9. 1984 49ers - 248

10. 1996 Packers - 246

I'm actually surprised by a) The fact no one has broken it already, with all the high scoring that goes on I assumed it was broken. and b)The fact there aren't more 21st century teams in the top 10.

Also...7 of those ten won the Championship that year. (*Sigh* It could so easily have been 8.) The 1998 Vikings are the only one not to at least make the championship game.

18 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I'm actually surprised by a) The fact no one has broken it already, with all the high scoring that goes on I assumed it was broken. and b)The fact there aren't more 21st century teams in the top 10.

Also...7 of those ten won the Championship that year. (*Sigh* It could so easily have been 8.) The 1998 Vikings are the only one not to at least make the championship game.

Since the 2007 Patriots, the 5 closest teams are

2012 Patriots - 226

2011 Saints - 208

2013 Broncos - 207

2010 Patriots - 205

2011 Packers - 201

I'm shocked no one has even came close. The closest 21st century team is the 2001 Rams with +230

I don't think so.

Over nearly 40 years the difference between the, currently, 2nd and 10th teams is 38 points. The only team to enter the top ten ranking sense is 31 points higher than 2nd place.

That year was a perfect storm of greatness of the Patriots, low quality of their opponents, and the hate priapism Belichick had for the league.

I don't think it's possible. Tom Brady and the Patriots were straight up bullies that season. Running up the score week in and week out.

"On Sunday, Belichick kicked a Hall of Fame coach while he was down, running up the score on Joe Gibbs' Redskins in a 52-7 win. This comes a week after Belichick reinserted quarterback Tom Brady midway through the fourth quarter of a 49-28 win over the Dolphins.

What seemed cute three weeks when Kyle Eckel scored late on a 1-yard run during the Pats' 48-27 win in Dallas has turned ugly.

Welcome to Belichick's no-mercy policy."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3084539

Patriots 52, Redskins 7

3 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

If KC invests into some defense, it might happen sooner than you think.

I guess it is not impossible that they could be close to 200 points differential next year but never get close to those top 10 point differentials.

I expect next year's Chiefs to be their best team in the foreseeable future because after that, they have a bunch of good players (Kelce, Schwartz, Fisher, Houston, Ford, Berry, etc) getting older.

4 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

If KC invests into some defense, it might happen sooner than you think.

They would have to become the highest scoring team in history and also the top scoring defense in football. That is extremely unlikely to happen. Never say never but I give it less than 5% chance of happening.

9 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

They would have to become the highest scoring team in history and also the top scoring defense in football. That is extremely unlikely to happen. Never say never but I give it less than 5% chance of happening.

They were 30 points shy of the 2007 Patriots in scoring, so I don't think becoming the highest scoring team in NFL history is out of play for them. It's the defense that's the issue.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

They were 30 points shy of the 2007 Patriots in scoring, so I don't think becoming the highest scoring team in NFL history is out of play for them. It's the defense that's the issue.

yes but they would have to do both at the same time. That's the incredibly hard part. Especially because of increased possessions for the opposing offense.

4 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

yes but they would have to do both at the same time. That's the incredibly hard part. Especially because of increased possessions for the opposing offense.

Never said it was easy, but if KC is able to produce a top tier defense while that offense is in tact, it's certainly in the cards.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

Never said it was easy, but if KC is able to produce a top tier defense while that offense is in tact, it's certainly in the cards.

The same could be said about the Bears if they are able to sustain their elite defense and Trubisky improves. In both cases it's possible but highly unlikely.

I doubt it. The current record is averaging beating your opponents by 20 points per game. The Saints led the league this year at +151. Double that, and you're still 13 points short of the record. Not to mention it's rare enough to see a team with a 14-2 or 15-1 record, which is basically a prerequisite to break the record (I'd argue you'd have to finish 15-1 or 16-0).

10 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I doubt it. The current record is averaging beating your opponents by 20 points per game. The Saints led the league this year at +151. Double that, and you're still 13 points short of the record. Not to mention it's rare enough to see a team with a 14-2 or 15-1 record, which is basically a prerequisite to break the record (I'd argue you'd have to finish 15-1 or 16-0).

That's a good point. You'd be looking at a 16-0 team. Which, no offense to Andy Reid, he has no chance of pulling something like that off.

A team like that, knows their special and breaks the will of their opponents. You're not just winning games, you're crushing skulls with 40 point wins.

10 hours ago, Eminence said:

I don't think it's possible. Tom Brady and the Patriots were straight up bullies that season. Running up the score week in and week out.

"On Sunday, Belichick kicked a Hall of Fame coach while he was down, running up the score on Joe Gibbs' Redskins in a 52-7 win. This comes a week after Belichick reinserted quarterback Tom Brady midway through the fourth quarter of a 49-28 win over the Dolphins.

What seemed cute three weeks when Kyle Eckel scored late on a 1-yard run during the Pats' 48-27 win in Dallas has turned ugly.

Welcome to Belichick's no-mercy policy."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3084539

Patriots 52, Redskins 7

This I'm not sure any HC takes this approach moving forward TBH. What Belicheck did in 2007 was borderline absurd. Fun , Comedic  at times to watch ( not as an opponents fan) but absurd, until the SB that is!

Archived