Draft Comparisons

brownie man

6 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Daylon Mack kind of reminds me of a heavier Geno Atkins.

Squatty, low center of gravity, immovable 1 vs. 1, great athlete, quick first step, go-to move is a straight bull rush and any pass rush moves stem from fear of being put on skates. I like him a lot. He's got a ton of quiet potential to be great. I'd happily take him in the third if he's still available at 73. Though it wouldn't surprise me if he was gone by then.

Actually he reminds me of Andrew Billings from Baylor. Who has been held back a great deal by injuries but was an unbelievable talent coming out.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Similar size and frame, similar level of mobility, inconsistent accuracy in that he often misses high, both struggle under pressure.

The inconsistent accuracy part is a reach, and if you watched him all year you would know him his play under pressure was vastly improved over the second half of year. Film supports this, not a good comp outside of size and mobility

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Billings got an elite grade from me as a draft prospect. Im shocked he's done nothing in the pros.

Same here, I almost cried when we selected Collins over him but I guess they decided his injury history was just too great of a concern and Collins has been pretty ok for us.

Edited by Calvert28

Nick Bosa- Jared Allen

Ed Oliver- LaRoi Glover

Cody Ford- Carl Nicks

Kyler Murray- Doug Flutie (I can't believe people haven't thought of this one yet, both were just great football players who adjusted their game as time went on.)

Josh Allen- Randy Gregory

TJ Hockenson- Blake Jarwin (No it's not a joke, I watched every game of Jarwin's this year and going back to his OK St days and the way he's emerged with their physical talents and game play matching up alot. You could just argue Hockenson is much further along then Jarwin was.)

Noah Fant- JerMichael Finley

Jace Sternberger- Hayden Hurst

Jeffery Simmons- Kevin Williams

DK Metcalf- Vincent Jackson

Hakeem Butler- Terrelle Pryor

Lil'Jordan Humprey- Cordelle Patterson (This comparison is the closest I can think of still but it doesn't do him justice. LJH IMO is a better prospect then Patterson because he was a superior possession receiver coming out but his versatility with everything Texas used him for I think Patterson is the closest I can think of that matches his skill set despite not being anywhere close to his talent as a legit WR.)

Will Grier- Andy Dalton

Drew Lock- Jay Cutler

Dwayne Haskins- Jake Delhomme (Honest to God everytime I watch him I see more Christian Hackenberg but he seems to read the field better then Hackenberg. But in terms of skill sets and game tape I think they are similar.)

Daniel Jones- Jason Campbell

Brett Rypien- Later Career Tony Romo (I say later career because of Romo's more methodical approach to the game at that point without the heavy gun slinger mentality that made him a house hold name earlier. Rypien like Romo underwhelmed with physical tools but had a very quick release with great anticipation for the play and it made him a very capable starter.)

Irv Smith- Jordan reed

• Like 1

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

ooo this is a good one.

I did think Cox was a good comparison. My original thought was Suh, but Williams seemed to me a better match given their burst. I'm not sure how many people remember how big and fast Williams was but watching their game tape and seeing the sudden burst when chasing QB's or runners down in the backfield I thought it was a spot on comparison.

On 17/02/2019 at 3:36 AM, jrry32 said:

I'll throw a few out:

Lil'Jordan Humphrey - Brandon Marshall

Chase Winovich - Rob Ninkovich

Hey man, like not every "ovich" is the same player okay.  That's like every white guy receiver being...ahhh wait, that's actually not a bad comp.  Darnit.  So much for a perfectly good rant.

I don't think Winovich is quite as robust and powerful as Ninkovich, but it's not unreasonable to think he could get there, and the style of play similarity is there.

The Lil'Jordan one is interesting.  At first i recoiled a bit.  Didn't like it.  Thinking more on it though, i can actually kinda see it.  They are both big guys who excel in those jump ball sort of situations.  Still feel like Lil'Jordan is more slightly built and doesn't have that same imposing physical presence Marshall brought.  But i guess it kinda works.  Marshall-lite or something.

On 18/02/2019 at 5:22 PM, BleedTheClock said:

Dre'Mont Jones--Arby Jones

This one made me laugh, because i think the typo is hilariously appropriate to why the comp doesn't make sense to me.

When it comes to this comp, Dre'Mont really does not, "have the meats".  xD

Like @Counselor suggested, Abry Jones is a significantly bigger player.  More of a wider body disruptive NT type with a little bit of upfield penetrating ability.  Where i see Dre'Mont as more of a classic penetrating 3T.  Granted, at times Abry does play a little bit like a 3T trapped in a NT body.  But i still don't really see the comp.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Brett Rypien- Later Career Tony Romo (I say later career because of Romo's more methodical approach to the game at that point without the heavy gun slinger mentality that made him a house hold name earlier. Rypien like Romo underwhelmed with physical tools but had a very quick release with great anticipation for the play and it made him a very capable starter.)

This one made me think.  I can see aspects of it.  Rypien doesn't have that same scrambling and natural improvisation ability, as even later Romo imo.  But the smaller stature, the lightning quick release and that hint of gunslinger still just peeking through the "game manager" facade every now and then is actually kinda bang on.  It's an interesting one that really never would've occurred to me.

• Like 3