• Oakland Raiders
    • Tampa Bay Buccs
    • Denver Broncos
    • Cinci Bengals
    • Miami Dolphins
    • Washington Redskins
    • Other if so please name

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

I just think this year is the perfect time to decide you're not going to accept mediocrity. Like, nobody is linking Murray to Cinci because they think you guys enjoy being adequate. Get a QB who can take you places. Stop trying to make everything perfect around the position. 

Bengals draft classes have been well received for years. It's time to be brave. 

Bottom line: Andy Dalton is a good QB, but he's not going to win us a championship. The chances are virtually slim to none. The only chance we do have comes with landing a top 6-8 QB, and to land that guy you need to get out of your comfort zone and take a risk if he's available. 

Depending on how the rest of the draft process plays out, I could be swayed into a trade up.

I'm honestly somewhat surprised that the Bengals haven't tried to move Andy Dalton. He's better than Flacco, who was tradeable, and he has a ZERO dead cap starting this year while also being signed through 2020. Now would be the perfect time to trade him and draft my next hopeful franchise QB. Dalton is a good stopgap option, but he's QB purgatory for a team like Cincinnati.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'm honestly somewhat surprised that the Bengals haven't tried to move Andy Dalton.

And who would we have replaced him with?

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Now would be the perfect time to trade him and draft my next hopeful franchise QB. Dalton is a good stopgap option, but he's QB purgatory for a team like Cincinnati.

Now wouldn't be the best time to trade him. If we landed Murray we'd be smart to hold onto him for another season to ease Murray's transition. Trading him now would be suicide.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

And who would we have replaced him with?

Fill in the blank with about any draft pick, which is the context of what I was responding to above.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Now wouldn't be the best time to trade him. If we landed Murray we'd be smart to hold onto him for another season to ease Murray's transition. Trading him now would be suicide.

I mean, if you think that Murray or whoever you draft is THAT RAW, then sure, shelve him and give him the Mahomes/Carson Palmer treatment. That said, if he's good to go right away or at any point in 2019, you'd be better off trading Dalton and signing some upper to middle tier free agent like Ryan Fitzmagic and rolling with him for a few games to get him ready to go later on/hand it off to him by the bye week. Paying Andy Dalton $18 million this year to be a lame duck QB is just as asinine.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, if you think that Murray or whoever you draft is THAT RAW, then sure, shelve him and give him the Mahomes/Carson Palmer treatment.

It's not that he's raw. The point is that historically rookie quarterbacks struggle. Few find success in their first year. Many get walloped like Rosen and Darnold.  Dalton keeps us competitive for a wildcard more so than Murray would. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

That said, if he's good to go right away or at any point in 2019, you'd be better off trading Dalton and signing some upper to middle tier free agent like Ryan Fitzmagic and rolling with him for a few games to get him ready to go later on/hand it off to him by the bye week.

Nah, I'd rather pay Dalton. His paycheck is completely reasonable at $16 million annually. Pretty much as reasonable as it gets. That's about as cheap as you'll find for a QB as good as Dalton - which to my understanding is generally underrated around league circles. He is not Flacco-esque. We are not dying for a replacement.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Paying Andy Dalton $18 million this year to be a lame duck QB is just as asinine.

Again, no it's not. Dalton is a good QB. He can still win us games. You won't find a better replacement at or below that price point. It would make more sense to hold onto him for another season and remain , no matter how you approach it. He'll have the same trade value next off season as he would this off season. Pawning him off for a lesser QB to save minimal cap doesn't make any sense. Our team would be far worse off.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Fill in the blank with about any draft pick, which is the context of what I was responding to above.

I'm listening. 

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's not that he's raw. The point is that historically rookie quarterbacks struggle. Few find success in their first year. Many get walloped like Rosen and Darnold.  Dalton keeps us competitive for a wildcard more so than Murray would. 

And some of those walloped QB's make huge strides in their 2nd/3rd years because of experience being a factor. At some point, those training wheels come off. Obviously there are two schools of thought:

1. Let the rookie "sit and learn"

2. Throw him to the wolves if he's as good or better than the other guy

Nah, I'd rather pay Dalton. His paycheck is completely reasonable at $16 million annually. Pretty much as reasonable as it gets. That's about as cheap as you'll find for a QB as good as Dalton - which to my understanding is generally underrated around league circles. He is not Flacco-esque. We are not dying for a replacement.

Andy Dalton is the definition of an average to above average QB. I don't think that he's terrible or anything, but he's not good to great. He's probably the 3rd best QB right now in the AFC North, at best.

Again, no it's not. Dalton is a good QB.

No, he's average.

He can still win us games.

Meh, I disagree. I think that he can manage it and the talent around him, when healthy, wins you games. Between the awful defense and poor OL play, Andy isn't good enough to make up for those deficiencies. He also wasn't good enough to win you games against upper tier competition...really at any point in his career. He can definitely play and win against equal or lesser competition, but "Prime Time Andy Dalton" is a real thing.

You won't find a better replacement at or below that price point.

That's a fair point.

It would make more sense to hold onto him for another season and remain , no matter how you approach it.

No, it would make just as much sense to ship him while he still has value and play the rookie if he's ready to play. Sell high. If Flacco got a 4th rounder (LOL at the Broncos for that btw) with a worse QB and worse contract, I'd imagine Dalton will be worth more than that.

He'll have the same trade value next off season as he would this off season.

No he won't. He has 1 year left AFTER this season. One of the big selling points would be that 2nd year option. If he sucks in 2019, you cut him and are out nothing. If he performs well, then you keep him another year.

Pawning him off for a lesser QB to save minimal cap doesn't make any sense.

It's not about just the cap. It's also about a Day 2 type pick as well. It's a win/win in this scenario where you have a buyer.

Our team would be far worse off.

Far worse off? No. Worse off? MAYBE, but for only 2019 if you're drafting your QBOTF anyway. 

I'm listening. 

I don't know who you Bengal fans like. Haskins won't be there, Murray may or may not be, I personally think Lock is garbage and I'm not sold on the kid from Duke either. 

JMHO

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Obviously there are two schools of thought:

1. Let the rookie "sit and learn"

2. Throw him to the wolves if he's as good or better than the other guy

I think any coach or GM you ask would prefer option 1 if it was feasible to do so. It is. So we should.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And some of those walloped QB's make huge strides in their 2nd/3rd years because of experience being a factor.

Yes, and the team suffers for it. If you can bypass that suffering with an above-average stop gap so the team remains competitive, you should. Dalton would give us our best shot at winning in 2019.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Meh, I disagree. I think that he can manage it and the talent around him, when healthy, wins you games. Between the awful defense and poor OL play, Andy isn't good enough to make up for those deficiencies. He also wasn't good enough to win you games against upper tier competition...really at any point in his career. He can definitely play and win against equal or lesser competition, but "Prime Time Andy Dalton" is a real thing.

Let me rephrase that, he gives us the best opportunity to win games. We can win games with Dalton at QB. He's won a lot of games since arriving in Cincinnati. We've had few losing seasons. The offensive line will be addressed this off season, and the defense isn't as bad as you think. There was a noticeable turnaround once Marvin took over the playcalling. Austin was terrible.

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No he won't. He has 1 year left AFTER this season. One of the big selling points would be that 2nd year option. If he sucks in 2019, you cut him and are out nothing. If he performs well, then you keep him another year.

The difference will be negligible.

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's not about just the cap. It's also about a Day 2 type pick as well. It's a win/win in this scenario where you have a buyer.

We can collect that or more next offseason if we choose to.

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Far worse off? No. Worse off? MAYBE, but for only 2019 if you're drafting your QBOTF anyway. 

Worse off, far worse off, who cares? We're trying to get better, not worse. We're better with Andy in 2019.

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't know who you Bengal fans like. Haskins won't be there, Murray may or may not be, I personally think Lock is garbage and I'm not sold on the kid from Duke either. 

Murray is the only QB worth considering who might be in our ballpark.

25 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yes, I think so too. I don't believe the rhetoric about Rosen at all. 

Really? I feel the opposite. I think Arizona is strategically trying to drive up the interest in teams trying to acquire the #1 pick with these nonchalant comments like "Rosen is our QB, for now".

I could be wrong, though.

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Really? I feel the opposite. I think Arizona is strategically trying to drive up the interest in teams trying to acquire the #1 pick with these nonchalant comments like "Rosen is our QB, for now".

I could be wrong, though.

I think Murray is gonna be a straight up Cardinal. 

Raiders are the one trying to drive interest to Carr by saying he’s a franchise QB like a broken record but have not once said he’s their QB for 2019. 

Archived