Bills Release Charles Clay

Nick

31 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-tight-end-charles-clay

Don't think anyone is surprised by this. Nice cap savings for a guy who could never seem to stay healthy.

Jason Croom is the only TE on the roster, so we should be in the market to sign on in free agency and/or draft one.

Yes I think it was the right move since he was starting to lose confidence with the new regime. Once of the multiple players that Whaley overpaid for. I still expect a few more releases. I also wouldnt be surprised if the bills tender Logan Thomas as he will come cheap. As well as be in the market for a TE, ideally Jared Cook would be a great addition for Josh Allen to throw to but I am not sure that Beane will offer a deal around the 2 year 15-20 mil marker that is being projected for him.

2 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-tight-end-charles-clay

Don't think anyone is surprised by this. Nice cap savings for a guy who could never seem to stay healthy.

Jason Croom is the only TE on the roster, so we should be in the market to sign on in free agency and/or draft one.

Not really a cap saving move. $4.5m freed up but is also $4.5m in dead money so it's pretty much just a wash. Great move regardless though. Glad to see him go, should've been done sooner IMO

I think anyone with half a brain saw this coming. Best wishes to him moving forward, but it just didn't work out here. Nice cap savings as well. This year's TE class is pretty deep so I can see us getting a couple via the draft. Oh, speaking of the draft, I honestly wouldn't mind going all OL the first 3 rounds. After seeing the success the Colts had after beefing their OL, I'm all in on that idea. WR and other needs can be addressed via FA and later rounds...maybe even trades? We know Beane likes those. 

2 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Not really a cap saving move. $4.5m freed up but is also $4.5m in dead money so it's pretty much just a wash. Great move regardless though. Glad to see him go, should've been done sooner IMO

That's not how that works. If the Bills kept him he would have been 9m against the cap. So they saved 4.5 against the cap by doing this move. 

12 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

That's not how that works. If the Bills kept him he would have been 9m against the cap. So they saved 4.5 against the cap by doing this move. 

You’re right that’s my bad. My thinking was backwards. I suck lol

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Jared Cook isn't an ideal target either imo. He's always hurt and inconsistent. Has monster games or is completely irrelevent.

Hopefully Rudolph gets cut, he'd be a nice get and lots of mid round guys in this draft

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I find Cook to be overrated and not much of an upgrade (if any) to Charles Clay. He's also 32.. 

C.J. Uzomah, Jesse James, Tyler Kroft and most definitely Rudolph if he becomes available are options I'd love to pursue.

11 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Wonder if TJ Hockenson has a chance to be our first round pick with a trade down. It's obvious our two big holes is weapons and linemen. Getting a young stud TE like TJ would give blocking and give Josh a receiving weapon.

I would think we'd consider him at very least or Noah Fant even if we traded back

Archived