Jaguars name Bortles as week 1 starter

LinderFournette

Good.

I mean, it's actually bad.  But it's less bad than starting Henne.  If you're starting Henne, you may as well just fold right now and write off the season.  With Bortles...probably going to be a disaster, but maybe if you get extremely lucky some weeks and he doesn't throw as many pick sixes as usual, you've got a chance to win a few games.  If you turn him loose, he can at least make some plays in between his interceptions.  Henne just does the interceptions with no real upside to make up for it.  I couldn't watch another entire season of Chad Henne: Starting Quarterback.  I just couldn't.  It's too bad, and in the most aggressively boring way possible.

Who gives a crap about the potential injury guarantee on Bortles contract.  We waste cap space on all kinds of stupid things anyway...and until we have a QB worthy of actually paying real money to, we're going to have cap space to burn anyway.  Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem, but if it does...it's really just more egg on this front offices' face.

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's the right move. Try to rebuild Blake's confidence. If it doesn't pan out, move on after the season. Henne isn't going to win you games. There's no upside to him.

Isn't his confidence already kind of shot when they didn't start him Thursday night? Yea its preseason but everyone knows your starter starts the 3rd game unless you have a star that isn't going to be forced to it

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Good.

I mean, it's actually bad.  But it's less bad than starting Henne.  If you're starting Henne, you may as well just fold right now and write off the season.  With Bortles...probably going to be a disaster, but maybe if you get extremely lucky some weeks and he doesn't throw as many pick sixes as usual, you've got a chance to win a few games.  If you turn him loose, he can at least make some plays in between his interceptions.  Henne just does the interceptions with no real upside to make up for it.  I couldn't watch another entire season of Chad Henne: Starting Quarterback.  I just couldn't.  It's too bad, and in the most aggressively boring way possible.

Who gives a crap about the potential injury guarantee on Bortles contract.  We waste cap space on all kinds of stupid things anyway...and until we have a QB worthy of actually paying real money to, we're going to have cap space to burn anyway.  Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem, but if it does...it's really just more egg on this front offices' face.

Weren't we just talking about early how if Henne plays smart/safe and we work the run game and defense we would win games? Did we realize our running game/defense suck or are we flip flopping as a unit?...not you Tug just everyone

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Weren't we just talking about early how if Henne plays smart/safe and we work the run game and defense we would win games? Did we realize our running game/defense suck or are we flip flopping as a unit?...not you Tug just everyone

If being the operative word. Henne is still a guy that throws more INTs than TDs, can’t evade pressure, and checks down all too much. It was a prayer that we got that.

As was posted before the Jaguars plan was to “hope Bortles is good, and if not, pray Henne is”

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

idk.  I haven't ever thought that really.  Not only because Henne being bad, but because they didn't do anything to actually improve a bad OLine, so i'm not sure where that expectation of a dominant run game to lean on would come from.  So i can't really say.  Just know that as i said in whatever other thread...this team has shown that they don't look anything like a "plug Alex Smith in and go to playoffs" type team.  It's not a dominant team being held back by QB alone.

Garbage QBs may mask some of that by overpowering the conversation, and you're really not going anywhere without that quality QB...but this team still has plenty of other glaring problems beyond that one position.

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Isn't his confidence already kind of shot when they didn't start him Thursday night? Yea its preseason but everyone knows your starter starts the 3rd game unless you have a star that isn't going to be forced to it

His confidence was shot before that happened. But maybe if they get some momentum from Fournette and the defense, Bortles will feel less pressure and a bit more confidence. It probably won't happen, but it's worth a shot. It's better to have a guy who will win you or lose you games with his arm than a guy who can't win you games with his arm.(obviously, Bortles looks more likely to lose you games at this point, but it's not like Henne is any different)

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

His confidence was shot before that happened. But maybe if they get some momentum from Fournette and the defense, Bortles will feel less pressure and a bit more confidence. It probably won't happen, but it's worth a shot. It's better to have a guy who will win you or lose you games with his arm than a guy who can't win you games with his arm.(obviously, Bortles looks more likely to lose you games at this point, but it's not like Henne is any different)

Yeah.  Better to go with the guy who can win or lose you games, than the guy who can really only insidiously dink and dunk his way to losses.  At least there's a chance, if Blake has a lucky afternoon.  Henne doesn't really have "good" games, lucky or otherwise.

7 minutes ago, iPwn said:

With how they’ve seemingly neutered Blake this offseason, I’m starting to feel like they wouldn’t have found any success with anyone other than a game manager QB. 

It does feel a bit like this.  As though their whole concept for the offense this year was based around a dominant ground 'n pound offense helmed by a theoretical game manager that doesn't actually exist on this roster.  Unfortunately, the dominant ground 'n pound aspect also doesn't exist on this roster with this OLine.

Hopefully they actually let Blake be Blake a bit though.  If he's going to have any success, it's going to be freelancing a bit, noodle 'n running, taking a few risky shots at big plays.  That's what he is, and the only time he's really looked at all good.  It's a dangerous game playing risk/reward with a bad gambler at QB...but i think it's the only real option at this point.  He's shown that he can't be that high efficiency game manager.  No point taking away the one thing that a QB on our roster actually does somewhat well...sometimes.

28 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It does feel a bit like this.  As though their whole concept for the offense this year was based around a dominant ground 'n pound offense helmed by a theoretical game manager that doesn't actually exist on this roster.  Unfortunately, the dominant ground 'n pound aspect also doesn't exist on this roster with this OLine.

Hopefully they actually let Blake be Blake a bit though.  If he's going to have any success, it's going to be freelancing a bit, noodle 'n running, taking a few risky shots at big plays.  That's what he is, and the only time he's really looked at all good.  It's a dangerous game playing risk/reward with a bad gambler at QB...but i think it's the only real option at this point.  He's shown that he can't be that high efficiency game manager.  No point taking away the one thing that a QB on our roster actually does somewhat well...sometimes.

That sounds exactly like what Doug Marrone would ideally want. Which is one reason why I was so surprised by the hire.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

That sounds exactly like what Doug Marrone would ideally want. Which is one reason why I was so surprised by the hire.

If reports are true, the team basically mandated that Bort be the QB1 and it scared off the majority of suitors. 

It sounds like coach was looking for something more than Henne's check-downs and the occasional deep-ball. In 2 quarters of play Henne was able to get about 75 yards. The 37 yarder to Robinson was pretty, but the offense did not really seem to be driving. I mean before that play was a pass that flew up in the air and Henne tacking a sack. 

1 hour ago, Jags said:

It sounds like coach was looking for something more than Henne's check-downs and the occasional deep-ball. In 2 quarters of play Henne was able to get about 75 yards. The 37 yarder to Robinson was pretty, but the offense did not really seem to be driving. I mean before that play was a pass that flew up in the air and Henne tacking a sack. 

I mean...that's Henne.  I don't know why that would be a surprise to them.  He's just fine as a backup.  If he has to come in to finish out a game if heaven forbid your starter goes down for a bit...you go with that and hope he can keep his head above water just trying not to screw up.  In this league with a serious dearth of quality QBs, that's the reality of a backup QB.  Henne is a serviceable backup, which is just fine.  But to expect that he'd somehow be a capable starter just because we drafted Fournette and added a rookie LT is...insanity.  It makes no sense.

Archived