Jaguars name Bortles as week 1 starter

LinderFournette

Just now, LinderFournette said:

Anything is possible with this skid mark of an oline

Although I agree, I remember last year pretty much the same OL except Beachum instead of Robinson (Beachum was garbo btw) was pretty solid in pass pro all year and the final 5-6 games turned the corner on run blocking. Not saying that'll happen, but adjustments can be made. We'll see what happens.

18 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Good.

I mean, it's actually bad.  But it's less bad than starting Henne.  If you're starting Henne, you may as well just fold right now and write off the season.  With Bortles...probably going to be a disaster, but maybe if you get extremely lucky some weeks and he doesn't throw as many pick sixes as usual, you've got a chance to win a few games.  If you turn him loose, he can at least make some plays in between his interceptions.  Henne just does the interceptions with no real upside to make up for it.  I couldn't watch another entire season of Chad Henne: Starting Quarterback.  I just couldn't.  It's too bad, and in the most aggressively boring way possible.

Who gives a crap about the potential injury guarantee on Bortles contract.  We waste cap space on all kinds of stupid things anyway...and until we have a QB worthy of actually paying real money to, we're going to have cap space to burn anyway.  Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem, but if it does...it's really just more egg on this front offices' face.

That guaranteed money can probably be used on getting 2 good starting guards lol

Just now, LinderFournette said:

That guaranteed money can probably be used on getting 2 good starting guards lol

We'll likely have a very solid amount of cap space either way tbh. If Hurns doesn't get on track he either gets dealt or let go after this season imo. Ivory's $$ will be off the books. TBD if we in Telvin long term (plzzz), but if ARob doesn't get extended I do think he gets the tag, especially if we plan on bringing in a rookie QB.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

We'll likely have a very solid amount of cap space either way tbh. If Hurns doesn't get on track he either gets dealt or let go after this season imo. Ivory's $$ will be off the books. TBD if we in Telvin long term (plzzz), but if ARob doesn't get extended I do think he gets the tag, especially if we plan on bringing in a rookie QB.

According to sportac in 2018 we have $-4,747,034 in cap space that doesn't account for cap rollover. 

in 2017 we have 44,424,561 in top 51 player cap space.  Its 26,034,561 total cap space.  

So best case is we have appx 40 million and worse case it's appx 22 million.  

Now that is with keeping blake but that leaves us with no qb besides allen on contract in 2018 if we cut him.

Maybe we can use some of that cash to get a free agent qb like cousins which should cost us around 25 million maybe. 

24 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The way we talk about our OL is like it got worse. Did it really?

Names might not have changed much but cann looked like trash, like i could probably do a better job. 

Pass pro looks worse. Run block still butt(wether thats from ivory or not im not sure)

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah. It would obviously be very preferable to NOT get stuck with Blakes big option money. But even if that worst case happens...it's not like it puts us in an untenable cap situation.

Its a lot of fretting over a distant worst case "what if"...that still really wouldn't even be all that dire anyway. 

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The way we talk about our OL is like it got worse. Did it really?

Worse? Idk. But when it was total trash before and didn't get any better, it's still trash and it's going to derided as such. 

Its like trying to gauge which dumpster fire smells better. It stinks, period. 

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

Worse? Idk. But when it was total trash before and didn't get any better, it's still trash and it's going to derided as such. 

Its like trying to gauge which dumpster fire smells better. It stinks, period. 

Honestly, it wasn't total garbage last year though. It wasn't good,  but pass blocking wise it actually was generally fairly solid. Run blocking was atrocious until about Week 10 or 11 last year, than got to be half way decent once Hackett messed with some things, although the teams we played weren't as good as far as stopping the run during that stretch than the early goings.

Still, compared to last year, it looks worse so far and all that has happened is swapping Beachum for Cam (which honestly is probably an upgrade).

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Honestly, it wasn't total garbage last year though. It wasn't good,  but pass blocking wise it actually was generally fairly solid. Run blocking was atrocious until about Week 10 or 11 last year, than got to be half way decent once Hackett messed with some things, although the teams we played weren't as good as far as stopping the run during that stretch than the early goings.

Still, compared to last year, it looks worse so far and all that has happened is swapping Beachum for Cam (which honestly is probably an upgrade).

That late season "improvement" was a mirage. Leaning on some brief flicker of life in the garbage time of the season is almost always a mistake. 

A line that can't run block is bad. Period. Especially when your gameplan is apparently to pound the rock. Idk why they'd think it was just magically going to get better at that without really changing anything. 

Archived