Jaguars name Bortles as week 1 starter

LinderFournette

Just now, Tugboat said:

That late season "improvement" was a mirage. Leaning on some brief flicker of life in the garbage time of the season is almost always a mistake. 

A line that can't run block is bad. Period. Especially when your gameplan is apparently to pound the rock. Idk why they'd think it was just magically going to get better at that without really changing anything. 

Again, no one here is saying the OL was good last year and we shouldn't have done more (Zeitler, etc.). But the OL wasn't "atrocious" in all facets. Pass blocking it improved quite a bit from the previous year. Also, I'm not sure how you can take 6 games out of a 16 game season and just say "discredit that, it's nothing, who cares." Sorry, but it was solid. Watched every second of all of those games. Just because they are bad right now doesn't negate that.

3 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If we would have gotten Zietler it would have been great but it wasnt in the cards. We improved the defense alot though. Cant get every big name even if we can afford it

That's the thing, Zietler was just the biggest name available. We could've plenty of guys that would've upgraded our offensive line. If the Jaguars could've gotten 1 of these 10 or even 1 of the top 5, this would've been a different discussion currently. 

Some of the names from 2017 FA: 

Riley Reiff - OT - Solid player

Ron leary - OG - Top Tier LG

Larry Warford - OG - Solid player (considered really good first couple of years). 

Andrew Whitworth - LT - Old (35) but effective (see the failed Branden Albert experiment)

T.J. Lang - OG  - Good player

J.C. Tretter - C - Young guy had a great year

Russell Okung - T - Average

Chance Warmack - G - Still potential there and he's only 25

Cyrus Kouandjio - T - Young guy made a mistake and hopefully he'll capitalize

32 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As is Okung and fairly sure Cyrus is in that same category.

Would have been cool seeing any of the other guys though.

We brought in Albert who was supposedly gonna be a bandaid until he got hurt and Cam thrown in. Who knew he'd holdout/retire?

this isnt Madden. You cant just throw a huge offer out there and expect to land everyone

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Again, no one here is saying the OL was good last year and we shouldn't have done more (Zeitler, etc.). But the OL wasn't "atrocious" in all facets. Pass blocking it improved quite a bit from the previous year. Also, I'm not sure how you can take 6 games out of a 16 game season and just say "discredit that, it's nothing, who cares." Sorry, but it was solid. Watched every second of all of those games. Just because they are bad right now doesn't negate that.

So then why is the unit looking worse now (and more like the larger garbage sample version from last year)?

Why in your estimation has the unit allegedly regressed then? What has really changed? It's basically the same talent...a slight upgrade in Cam if anything, no?

Sometimes the simplest most obvious solution is the most correct. ie. They were never actually good in the first place. It's not "regression" from their better play, its regression to the mean. The better play was probably the anomaly and they've always actually been a bad unit. 

Though the thing that dumbfounds me...is that other teams do seem to get more out of less "on paper" talent. 

1 hour ago, Castiron said:

Well, not with that attitude.

I have zero interest in picking 1st overall. If we can go like 7-9/8-8 this year I would feel SOOOO good about the future because that obviously means some units on the team took serious steps and we can make a move in the draft or sit tight pending on how many good options there are and still get a QB while having a decent situation for him to come into. I have no interest in seeing a team that gets blown out/one of the worst teams in the league just to draft a guy next year into a terrible situation.

50 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I have zero interest in picking 1st overall. If we can go like 7-9/8-8 this year I would feel SOOOO good about the future because that obviously means some units on the team took serious steps and we can make a move in the draft or sit tight pending on how many good options there are and still get a QB while having a decent situation for him to come into. I have no interest in seeing a team that gets blown out/one of the worst teams in the league just to draft a guy next year into a terrible situation.

True.  Winning a good, respectable number of games would be the ideal.  I absolutely hope that's the case.  But if we're talking about winning like...4 games instead of 3 or something...who even cares?  Once you fall down that well of hopelessness and tanking a season...might as well fall to the bottom i guess.  There's no joy in winning an extra game at the tail end of a writeoff season against another team that's also basically given up.  That doesn't mean the team has a brighter future or anything.

On 8/27/2017 at 7:08 PM, .Buzz said:

Regardless of if it was our garbage time, other teams were trying to make the playoffs so if they looked better vs starters that were thirsty for a win

Archived