Jaguars name Bortles as week 1 starter

LinderFournette

4 hours ago, iPwn said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20489636/jacksonville-jaguars-coach-says-blake-bortles-best-seen-him

Marrone says the three day stretch since being renamed starter is the best he’s ever seen Bortles. 

Maybe his confidence is coming back? That is for sure a big problem with how bad Blake has been...

Kind of want to see him play a little Thursday if I'm being honest...I know thats generally just a backup day but it'd be nice for him to get a drive or two in imo.

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Maybe his confidence is coming back? That is for sure a big problem with how bad Blake has been...

Kind of want to see him play a little Thursday if I'm being honest...I know thats generally just a backup day but it'd be nice for him to get a drive or two in imo.

I don’t even necessarily think his confidence was gone, but it might have been he was pressing so much trying to read the defense and play in an offense that he doesn’t process naturally. His normal attitude when he sees a route develop is “I can trust my arm to make that throw” and they had him thinking an additional “yeah, I can probably make that, but is it a safe throw?” It’s a whole other level of processing that isn’t natural. A guy like Alex Smith naturally goes with “am I safe making this throw?” and if you asked him to play like 2015 Blake, he’d go with an additional “maybe that throw isn’t safe, but can my arm make it?” It’s an extra layer of processing that just doesn’t make sense to put on a guy. Maybe they’re actually letting him be himself instead of trying to force him to be Alex Smith now. 

3 hours ago, iPwn said:

I don’t even necessarily think his confidence was gone, but it might have been he was pressing so much trying to read the defense and play in an offense that he doesn’t process naturally. His normal attitude when he sees a route develop is “I can trust my arm to make that throw” and they had him thinking an additional “yeah, I can probably make that, but is it a safe throw?” It’s a whole other level of processing that isn’t natural. A guy like Alex Smith naturally goes with “am I safe making this throw?” and if you asked him to play like 2015 Blake, he’d go with an additional “maybe that throw isn’t safe, but can my arm make it?” It’s an extra layer of processing that just doesn’t make sense to put on a guy. Maybe they’re actually letting him be himself instead of trying to force him to be Alex Smith now. 

Yeah.  Hopefully that's the case.  It'll come with a lot of ups and downs...but letting him just run around, try to make dangerous plays, and play loose is really the only way this team stands any chance of getting "good enough" QB play.  Some weeks that probably burns us, but it is what it is...hopefully they realize that and are going to just let it ride.

Archived