New 7 Rounder With Comp Picks - Updated 22nd Feb

goldfishwars

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

25. Philadelphia Eagles - Joshua Jacobs [ RB ] Alabama

I know Eagles fans don’t seem to like a running back in the first, but Jacobs is a massive talent with barely any tread on his tyres. The Eagles need a physical downhill runner in their stable and Jacobs can give them that and more.

26. Indianapolis Colts - Byron Murphy [ CB ] Washington

I don’t have an ideal fit for further up the board, but I think Murphy is talented and scheme diverse enough to go much higher. The Colts played above their talent at corner last season, but new blood is required for them to take a step forward.

It's not so much that as it is that our general manager Howie Roseman has never selected a skill position player in the 1st round.

His first round selections have been at DE, OG, DT, OT, DE, QB, DE.

Besides the year he took Wentz its been all trenches.

Maybe he gets away from that, but even if he does I think defensive back is more likely than running back if he does.

We would be pretty crazy to pass up on Byron Murphy (who goes the pick after us) if he's there.

I do like the Thompson pick in the 2nd though.

19 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

28. Los Angeles Chargers - Mack Wilson [ LB ] AlabamaThe Chargers linebackerless defense went from genius to physically mismatched within a week during the playoffs and they just can’t afford to leave the position light again. Wilson is a step down from White and Bush, but he can run, hit and blitz.

Makes sense and probably pretty likely.  I feel like this pick comes down to: "Is Bush available?"  If not, "how do they grade the remaining OT's in the class, relative to how they grade the MLB's left in the class" (because right now the only ILB on the roster is Nick Dzubnar who has shown he's nothing more than a ST'er and not even that irreplaceable at that).  And more likely seeing the logic that the difference between Wilson and the next ILB on their board is more significant than the difference between a cluster of OT's (and Telesco's never been shy about trading up in the middle of a run if it's for a position he feels he absolutely has to have).

31. Los Angeles Rams - Jachai Polite [ EDGE ] Florida

Polite is a smaller, but quick and potent pass-rusher from the outside. He’s gifted enough to land much higher than 31, but some character concerns might drop him a little and that’s nothing Wade Phillips has shown he can’t handle.

I'd agree.  The sensible thing for the Rams is probably to angle for a modest trade-back, but my gut tells me that if there's a "10+ sack upside" EDGE available at 31 that Les Snead pulls the trigger at 31, because having that 5th year option on a player that plays a premium position is more team-friendly in the long-run (when Goff's not on a rookie deal) than an extra rookie in this class.  Balls on the table kind of scenario, I actually would be more surprised by Les trading back than by using our 2020 1st or 2nd (not both, but one of them) as a chip to move up in the 1st to secure an EDGE guy the team gives the green light to.

60. Los Angeles Chargers - Khalen Saunders [ DT ] Western Illinois

63. Los Angeles Rams - Erik McCoy [ C ] Texas A & M

The Rams don't own #63.  It went to Kansas City in the Marcus Peters trade.

As for the Chargers pick... possible, but we've seen more evidence to suggest that Tom Telesco doesn't value the DT position as highly than we've seen to the affirmative.  Guys that I trust the info coming from had said that if Derwin James hadn't fallen last year, the club was prepared to take Taven Bryan, but that's literally the first time in Telesco's tenure I've heard them valuing interior DL... ever.  I'd say more likely, especially with a sizable run on the position having come earlier in the round, the Chargers probably pounce on Cajuste while he's there.  Okung's in the twilight of his career, Sam Tevi plays exactly like you'd expect a 6th round OT to play, and is probably better served as a swing tackle.

92. Los Angeles Chargers  - Mitch Hyatt [ G/T ] Clemson

99. Los Angeles Rams (Compensatory Pick) - Joe Giles-Harris [ LB ] Duke

101. Los Angeles Rams UJWA - Nate Herbig [ OG ] Stanford

You really like Hyatt that much?  I just don't see him fitting the Chargers' scheme, even as a guard.  Just doesn't match up with the type of OL they've gone after under the current regime.  Now, Telesco has had some questionable choice in OL so I'm not saying he couldn't misjudge Hyatt as being capable of playing RT for the team, but it strikes me as a bad fit.  This pick is one I really expect to surprise folks.  People are going to peg it for a DT or a safety to possibly (hopefully) displace Jahleel Addae and his contract he doesn't deserve.  I won't be surprised if it's an EDGE guy.  They appear to like Nwosu as a linebacker, even a LEO type, but Bosa's going to be commanding a hefty deal soon and Melvin Ingram's contract is up the same year as Bosa's is.  Guys like Walker, Ximenes, or Jackson could definitely be in play.  As could an NT like Gaines (the team likes Justin Jones who they drafted last year, I know that, but we saw what Jackson plugged in as an NT in place of Mebane resulted in in that playoff game in New England - not pretty).  Wouldn't be totally put off by Hardiman here either; I explain why later.

For the Rams picks, I'm actually a Giles-Harris fan and think he's underrated.  I don't know that he fits what the Rams need at the ILB spot next to Corey Littleton though (he's kind of made redundant by Littleton).  Coney going just ahead of them is likely to sting them, but I'd see them more likely to pair Littleton with someone like Khalil Hodge than JGH.  Herbig works, but given that they wouldn't have been able to make the McCoy pick above, they probably look to pick an OL who is capable of playing both G and C if they can, and I don't think The Big Island has that in his repertoire.  He already has issues with push-pull moves used against him and that would only get further exposed if he were being asked to snap the ball.  Just food for thought.  I wouldn't be shocked by a CB pick here.  Talib's contract is up in a year; unless Peters either rebounds big time in his second season with the team or agrees to massive pay-cut he's likely going to be allowed to walk, and NRC's contract isn't much longer either.  If they see a potential Y2 starter in the likes of someone like Boyd or Smith (I see it in Boyd), it wouldn't be shock to see them pull the trigger.

131. Los Angeles Chargers  - Nate Davis [ OG ] Charlotte

134. Los Angeles Rams  - Jordan Brown [ CB ] South Dakota State

Doable for the Chargers.  Davis makes a quality contingency plan for the likes of Feeney and Lamp.

And there's that CB I was talking about for the Rams.  If they go CB earlier, I wouldn't be shocked by a stab at someone like Kingsley to see if they can beef him up a little and coach him up into a 1-gapping 5-Tech to rotate with last year's 4th round pick John Franklin-Myers.

168. Los Angeles Chargers  - Keelan Doss [ WR ] UC Davis

171. Los Angeles Rams  - Marquise Blair [ S ] Utah

This is the receiver type I wouldn't want to see the Chargers draft - don't get me wrong, they probably will, but they'd be better set getting someone in who can take Travis Benjamin's snaps so they can shed that contract.  Could also see a DB of some kind here - insurance against Trevor Williams costing too much to keep in 2020 when he's a UFA.

204. Los Angeles Chargers  - Bryce Hall [ CB ] Virginia
207. Los Angeles Rams  - Jordan Brailford [ EDGE ] Oklahoma State

See, we're on that same page in the Chargers' positional stuff.  Burkett might not surprise me here.  The depth behind Pouncey isn't exactly pretty.Christmas makes sense for both the Chargers and the Rams here.  When Lamarcus Joyner walks, the Rams are going to need another versatile safety to pair with John Johnson; this is just occurring to me now, but that could be something I could see them addressing earlier if the value/player lines up right.  I just doubt they're going to role Blake Countess or Marqui Christian out there as starters. 

246. Los Angeles Chargers  - James Williams [ RB ] Washington State
249. Los Angeles Rams  - Olive Sagapolu [ DT ] Wisconsin

255. Los Angeles Rams (Compensatory Pick) - Alize Mack [ TE ] Notre Dame

First off, you have Ledbetter going twice in this round, just FYI.

Williams is certainly possible for the Chargers, but Gordon is going to get an extension, the team loves Ekeler, and Justin Jackson likely showed enough last season to hold onto the RB3 gig.  If the Stanford punter (I forget his name) is still on the board (and I think he is in this scenario), that's as good a pick as any.  Donnie Jones is a FA and certainly didn't blow up any skirts - and the kicker he was specifically brought in to hold for isn't even on the roster anymore.  As much as Anthony Lynn is in love with Cardale Jones, I could see him pounding the table here for Tyree Jackson.

I'd like to think the Rams take some IDL presence before this, but like jrry, I'm fairly confident we bring in a cap-casualty free agent to start alongside Brockers and Donald, but the team does need someone more dependable in being able to 2-gap than Tanzel Smart.  Sagapolu, while a rotational guy, can fill that role.  And I'm not the biggest Mack fan for the Rams, just because I feel like he's redundant to what we already have, but I do agree that the team is going to just continue to take bites of the apple at the TE position in almost every draft in hopes of unearthing their own George Kittle type who can play in that 12-personnel.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

They did not according to this list on NFL.com.  They are not on this list at all.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000996224/article/tracking-underclassmen-intentions-for-2019-nfl-draft

They are both combine invitees:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001017299/article/2019-nfl-scouting-combine-full-list-of-338-invitees

The Rams to me already have Fowler and Ebukam at OLB and both are athletic and Fowler for sure is better at the point of attack than Polite who is light and gets pushed around in the run game at times. Could argue they would need a solid ILB over a OLB type.  Barron is ok but just ok and Littleton does a decent job but is nothing amazing.

Ebukam is a back-up and Fowler is a FA who might return. Polite is a pure pass-rusher, something still needed and would be great value at 31.

I do not see Seattle drafting another long corner, they already hit big time on Flower last year and have Griffin at the other corner.  Not sure they need another long 6-3 corner because again they have Flower.  If anything they need more of a slot corner or a safety not another long corner but will see.

Their scheme asks for corners who disrupt at the line and turn and run, that's what Johnson does 

Justin Layne against Ohio State is the tape to watch, kid played great in that game and was very active with his hands and solid as a tackler as well.  

Okay

I do not think Tre Lamar is bad, the guy walks off the bus and totally looks the part.  Sure should have came back to school but physically he is well put together and has a ton of upside and potential and again if you are just talking physically he is one of the best ILB prospects in the draft.

What he looks like off the bus means nothing. He cannot change direction, zero range 

Anthony Johnson can play, sure maybe did not play well at the senior bowl but that is not everything.  He has very good hands and only thing that would make him drop this far is if he times out poorly at the combine.  

We will see - a lot of draftable receivers will drop further they than would otherwise, some will go undrafted 

True Tony Pollard mainly doing kick returns hurt but if he can do kick returns I think he can do punt returns as well.  The guy could catch the ball out of the backfield and make plays as a RB he is skill and I think he could easily be a punt return man as well.

Comments above

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

You really like Hyatt that much?  

I actually don't like him at all. Guys seem way high on him on the board, so I'm really not sure what where his stock is at. Obviously he has the five star recruit and a bucket list of lineman awards from his time at Clemson, but every time I've seen him play I've been completely underwhelmed. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Comments above

Oh wow, I guess I missed that when I looked at the combine list.  I totally have Sheffield as a JR on Ohio State right now so not sure why he is not on the underclassmen list for this draft.  I also have Zach Gentry as a RS JR, sure technically a senior but is a underclassmen in terms of football.  I will have to correct that I guess, thanks.  

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I actually don't like him at all. Guys seem way high on him on the board, so I'm really not sure what where his stock is at. Obviously he has the five star recruit and a bucket list of lineman awards from his time at Clemson, but every time I've seen him play I've been completely underwhelmed. 

from what I've seen he looked good because of QB, players around him and scheme. Don't think he has progressed since being a freshman either. I would not draft him before round 4, maybe not before round 5.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Comments above

Also when I go through your list again there are some guys who are missing, some I feel are totally 2nd round picks or potentially or 3rd rounders.  Curious why they were not on your list.  Mind you I only discuss this because few on here can discuss that indepth about thing many prospects and I have had a 7 round ranking almost the entire year and curious why you possibly left some of them off, especially some guys who I have included at or near 2nd round grades for most of the season.

Gary Johnson Texas SR LB

Jarrett Stidham Auburn RS JR QB

Chase Hansen Utah SR LB/S

Trayveon Williams Texas A&M JR RB

David Long West Virginia RS JR OLB

Alex Bars Notre Dame SR OG

Andrew Wingard Wyoming SR S

Sione Takitaki BYU SR LB

Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR OLB/DE

Gardner Minshew Washington State SR QB

Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS SR OLB

Drue Tranquill Notre Dame OLB RS SR

CJ Conrad Kentucky TE SR

Jazz Ferguson Northwestern State WR RS JR

Blake Cashman Minnesota RS SR OLB

Anthony Rush UAB SR NT

Alexander Mattison Boise State JR RB

Hunter Renfrow Clemson SR WR

Qadree Ollison Pitt RS SR RB

Also why so low on Ryan Finley?  The guy has a great head on his shoulders, is accurate, very solid in the pocket and basically took a so so NC State offense and made them into a passing machine the past three seasons and just keeps getting better and better.  I think he could be a damn good pro down the road and very solid and stable as a QB in terms of performance.  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Also when I go through your list again there are some guys who are missing, some I feel are totally 2nd round picks or potentially or 3rd rounders.  Curious why they were not on your list.  Mind you I only discuss this because few on here can discuss that indepth about thing many prospects and I have had a 7 round ranking almost the entire year and curious why you possibly left some of them off, especially some guys who I have included at or near 2nd round grades for most of the season.

Gary Johnson Texas SR LB

Jarrett Stidham Auburn RS JR QB

Chase Hansen Utah SR LB/S

Trayveon Williams Texas A&M JR RB

David Long West Virginia RS JR OLB

Alex Bars Notre Dame SR OG

Andrew Wingard Wyoming SR S

Sione Takitaki BYU SR LB

Sutton Smith Northern Illinois RS JR OLB/DE

Gardner Minshew Washington State SR QB

Andrew Van Ginkel Wisconsin RS SR OLB

Drue Tranquill Notre Dame OLB RS SR

CJ Conrad Kentucky TE SR

Jazz Ferguson Northwestern State WR RS JR

Blake Cashman Minnesota RS SR OLB

Anthony Rush UAB SR NT

Alexander Mattison Boise State JR RB

Hunter Renfrow Clemson SR WR

Qadree Ollison Pitt RS SR RB

Also why so low on Ryan Finley?  The guy has a great head on his shoulders, is accurate, very solid in the pocket and basically took a so so NC State offense and made them into a passing machine the past three seasons and just keeps getting better and better.  I think he could be a damn good pro down the road and very solid and stable as a QB in terms of performance.  

Thanks for the list, there's still plenty of guys I haven't got round to - but scanning the names they seem more like fringe third dayers. Got Renfrew going to the Pats.

Stidham really sucks, but probably will get drafted. Finley could carve out a decent career backup role. Finding homes for these types of prospects is hard because we are in an unprecedented period of stability for QBs in the NFL. Most teams think they already have the guy they want going forward. 

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Same.  The lack of play-strength issue is something he can likely fix, as is the poor handwork issue (though he still doesn't appear to have natural "heavy hands" - for OL it's the same as with boxers you either have it innately or you don't, there are certain things you can't teach).  He seems like a guy whose been given too much credit for his recruiting profile and then his experience on a highly successful team.  Different position on the OL, but he's just the latest incarnation of Barrett Jones.

Though we can both unite in our Garrett Bradbury love.  The guy is the truth!  And is getting seriously underrated by people pegging him as a Day 3 guy.

28 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Same.  The lack of play-strength issue is something he can likely fix, as is the poor handwork issue (though he still doesn't appear to have natural "heavy hands" - for OL it's the same as with boxers you either have it innately or you don't, there are certain things you can't teach).  He seems like a guy whose been given too much credit for his recruiting profile and then his experience on a highly successful team.  Different position on the OL, but he's just the latest incarnation of Barrett Jones.

Though we can both unite in our Garrett Bradbury love.  The guy is the truth!  And is getting seriously underrated by people pegging him as a Day 3 guy.

Yeah Barrett Jones is a really good comparison point, a well respected teammate but someone already playing at the maxed out level of their ability in college. 

Man, I love Bradbury. He's just so good at the second level and a real technician which is amazing converting from tight end. His balance, footwork and hand placement are always in sync and on point when he's on the move. He's got reach blocks for days. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Thanks for the list, there's still plenty of guys I haven't got round to - but scanning the names they seem more like fringe third dayers. Got Renfrew going to the Pats.

Stidham really sucks, but probably will get drafted. Finley could carve out a decent career backup role. Finding homes for these types of prospects is hard because we are in an unprecedented period of stability for QBs in the NFL. Most teams think they already have the guy they want going forward. 

Oh ok, his name is spelled Renfrow so that is why I did not find his name.  Patriots could be a good fit for him but as well as he plays the slot a lot of players he could fit with.

Stidham I think is better than what he showed, Gus does not have a great QB offense there at Auburn I feel and really if that run game is not working the QB looks awful, and it is way too QB run dependent.  In a more pro style system I think he could do better but sure they put an athletic guy in that type of offense, never really was a fit for him though.  He is completely going to be drafted and is a lot better than other QBs, no way he is a UDFA.

Sure some of the guys might be third day dudes but I bet a lot are absolutely not.  Gary Johnson should blow up at a combine, he is a bullet and is damn strong as well, kid can really run at LB and tons of teams will really like that.  Chase Hansen had 1st round potential as a safety earlier in his career and took really well to being a LB, he will be a solid 2nd round pick.  Trayveon Williams is getting overlooked, kid had a great season and has big play potential as a back.  Put him in the right system and he could really do some things, say KC for example he could do very well there even if he is a 3rd round pick.  David Long is a great penetrating LB, if he was a little bigger he probably would be a 1st rounder but for him 2nd or 3rd is really solid.  And Bars is arguably the best OG prospect in the draft, that is before he got injured will see if he can come back strong off the injury.

Sutton Smith is a demon pass rusher, sure is a tweener and size is an issue but on tape he can beat OTs to the QB, has a great motor and if he does well at the combine I could see a team taking him in the 2nd or 3rd round maybe.  Not to mention Gardner Minshew who in the right system would be great, I think the Saints should really pick him up with how well he manages the game and can throw to the backs, great developmental QB but yes you are right there are only so many QB spots open but I think there is a wave of guys ready to get kicked out of the league and should be.  These guys to name a few Brandon Weeden, Alex Tanney, Tim Boyle, Ryan Griffin, Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson.

Also CJ Conrad is a beast TE, great blocker and big strong athlete after the catch, is a poor mans Gronk and would not be surprise if the Pats picked him up at some point in the draft.  But yeah I think they are all draftable players but will see what happens.  

On 2/16/2019 at 3:01 AM, goldfishwars said:

Jacksonville feels like a natural home for Nick Foles to land after John DeFilippo was hired as OC. I think that should put the Jags out of the QB discussion for a year, so this is a case of the taking the best offensive player available.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:01 AM, goldfishwars said:

38. Jacksonville Jaguars - Daniel Jones [ QB ] Duke

I'm confused by these two sentiments. I understand putting off QB if we took Foles and instead focusing on surrounding him with talent. I don't really understand then using a second round pick on a flawed QB. If we're taking Foles, fine. I don't like it, but fine. But if we are, lean into it and surround him with as much talent as we can amass. 

I really like the first 4 rounds for the Steelers. I've been flipping a lot on Devin Bush, but I'm currently liking him more. I do think the combine will do a lot for him. He needs to show he can cover. If he doesn't, he won't fit in the NFL. I don't know the last three enough to comment, but I like their positions. 

Archived