The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

On 7/24/2017 at 0:58 PM, TENINCH said:

I hope he's here another 10 plus years. Guy loves to coach and I think he's the coach to get us to the Super Bowl.

I hope so as well. That SC interview was something else, wouldn't want anyone else coaching this team!

Mike Zimmer already has said he probably will allow defensive coordinator George Edwards to call plays during a preseason game. But the Vikings head coach admits that after 17 consecutive seasons of calling the defensive plays, it will be hard to relinquish those duties. Zimmer didn’t elaborate on his comments Friday, but his players did.

Harrison Smith: “If he does it, it will be tough for him to do. He loves running the film session, he loves calling the plays. That’s his thing. That’s what he’s been great at for how many years? But he’s always going to do his thing as a head coach, so whatever he does we’ll adapt to it.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/28/mike-zimmer-admits-it-will-be-hard-giving-up-defensive-play-calling/

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Klomp said:

Under Zimmer, the Vikings are 20-3 when they score 21 or more points in a game (my add-on: 20-1 in those games when not playing GB). That means the team is 6-19 when it doesn't score 21.

Putting that in context - http://pfref.com/tiny/MareF : 

20-3 is a .870 W-L percentage. Only 4 teams have done better from 2014-16 when scoring 21+ points: CIN, KC, NE and DAL. The Packers are 30-6 in that situation (.833).

The Vikings have had more games scoring 20 or less (25) than 21 or more (23) from 2014-16. They're tied with OAK and MIA for 21st in the league over that time frame. 12 teams have scored 21+ in 30 or more games in those 3 years, with NE (38) and GB (36) at the top of the league. 

The Vikings 6-19 record in games scoring less than 21 gives them a W-L percentage of .240. That's a little better than league average (.216), and tied for 13th in the league with MIA. Seattle is the only team in the league with a winning percentage in games when they failed to score 21, they're 9-7-1 in that situation (.559). The Patriots are 2nd in the league at 4-6 (.400), GB is 23rd at 2-10 (.167).

• Like 2

Before Teddy Bridgewater blew out his knee days before the preseason finale, and then Adrian Petersongot hurt, and injuries decimated the offensive line, and head coach Mike Zimmer underwent the first of many eye surgeries, and offensive coordinator Norv Turner quit, and a 5-0 start crumbled into an 8-8 finish, theVikings felt much as they do now: optimistic about one of the NFL's most stacked defenses and an offense that can do enough to make them a tough out come January.

Zimmer: "Defensively, I kind of know who we are and what we are. It's similar to what we've been. Offensively, I think we're still a little bit trying to find exactly the right balance of what we're doing -- but I like a lot of things we're doing offensively.

I don't think the identity of the team is going to change too much. I don't think we're going to go to The Greatest Show on Turf, and I don't think we're going to be the '85 Bears either. But this team has some talent, and we've got a chance."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000833200/article/vikings-d-sam-bradfords-progress-have-mike-zimmer-optimistic

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The road to Mike Zimmer’s place, Kentucky Highway 16, passes farm after hilly farm, small homes surrounded by rolling pastures, the occasional pickup truck on cinder blocks. There’s the Ed-Mar Dairy, four generations strong, and the cornfield where the Skirmish at Snow’s Pond was waged between Confederate and Union soldiers in 1862. A big black gate on the shoulder of the road provides the only clue that an NFL coach lives here. Beyond it is a lane lined by cherry trees, planted by Zimmer himself, like most things here on his vast property.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/13/mike-zimmer-minnesota-vikings-coach-eye-surgery

• Like 1

It definitely was worth reading.  I never have liked Barry Switzer, but if he did anything right, it was seeing Zimmer for who he is, a very good coach and a better person.  I didn't even realize Switzer was that old now.  It makes sense, but I never really thought about it.