The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Zimmer says he's thinks about handing over play-calling duties to George Edwards 'every day,' noting the difficulty of doing two jobs at once. Part of his reservation in doing so is his knowledge of how to make adjustments in critical times in 2nd/3rd quarters and not wanting to be a second-guessing coach.

Zimmer: "I have a style of how I call a game. George, even though he tries to do it like I do it, I don’t want to tell him, ‘Oh I hate that call’ or ‘You should’ve called this.’ I don’t think that’s fair to him. If I want something called, I should call it."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41030817-4

Zimmer: "I enjoy being around the players; I enjoy coaching and teaching and getting into the meeting room. I hate game day, it’s a grind. A grind. Wins and losses. We get 16 tests a year. If you win eight of them, there’s still a chance you’re fired.”

In hindsight, Zimmer said he thinks the euphoria of beating the Saints on the last play of the game the week before played a role in how the team played in Philadelphia.

Zimmer:  “I still think I misjudged the magnitude of that Saints game. I didn’t make a big deal out of it with the players about getting back focused. And I’m not saying that’s why we lost [next week in Philadelphia]. It might be why we got our butts kicked, maybe.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer-opens-up-about-health-retirement-eagles-tony-sparano-quarterbacks-and-what-keeps-him-going/492778961/

With the win yesterday Zimmer stands at 4th all-time in wins (40) for Vikings head coaches passing Brad Childress. He is 12 wins away from Jerry Burns (52) and 3rd all-time.

Zimmer does boast the 2nd highest winning percentage, .615, behind Bud Grant (.635) and narrowly ahead of Denny Green (.610).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer has endured eight surgeries on his damaged right eye over the last two years. While the surgeries have allowed him to keep his eye after a detached retina cause a number of problems, the reality of the situation is that his eyesight won’t improve any further.

Zimmer: “I have to read with my left eye, I can’t read anything with my right eye even with glasses. I have to put a drop in every day and then I have to wait for a few hours before I can put a contact in. I don’t see good out of it. It is what is. It won’t get any better.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/19/mike-zimmer-says-vision-in-damaged-right-eye-wont-improve/