The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

Been thinking about Zimmer and the happenings of this season. Something that is worrying me is we seem very reactionary vs. having a construct of what this team is and is capable of. So we wander around plugging one hole in hopes that another doesn’t spring up. No cohesive identity and that lies at the feet of the head coach. I love me some Zimmer. The defense has been extremely fun to watch under his tenure. Now it’s time for him to show if he can influence both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, it may be too late to fix this season. Still hopeful, but time is running out. 

4 hours ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Been thinking about Zimmer and the happenings of this season. Something that is worrying me is we seem very reactionary vs. having a construct of what this team is and is capable of. So we wander around plugging one hole in hopes that another doesn’t spring up. No cohesive identity and that lies at the feet of the head coach. I love me some Zimmer. The defense has been extremely fun to watch under his tenure. Now it’s time for him to show if he can influence both sides of the ball. Unfortunately, it may be too late to fix this season. Still hopeful, but time is running out. 

I think it's going to take one more offseason.  If Zim will demand that we fix the O-line, this could be an excellent team again.  I believe in Coach Zimmer.

24 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

who predicts more DBs than OL in draft. 

I'd be all for drafting Cousins' heir apparent in round 1 or 2 and then spending every other pick on the offensive line. 

However, I'm predicting right now that we draft a DT or S with our first pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I'd be all for drafting Cousins' heir apparent in round 1 or 2 and then spending every other pick on the offensive line. 

However, I'm predicting right now that we draft a DT or S with our first pick. 

Why a Safety? Smith is still playing well and Harris looks like he belongs. Are you assuming that Harris priced himself out of MN. Guess I don't see that with how the FA Safety market played out last year.

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

who predicts more DBs than OL in draft. 

Considering teams in the current version of the league need as many DBs as OL on the team, that wouldn't be all that surprising.  And with Sherels being forced into the game (and having no business ever being in the game other than on special teams), it's evident that they will need more DBs.  

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Considering teams in the current version of the league need as many DBs as OL on the team, that wouldn't be all that surprising.  And with Sherels being forced into the game (and having no business ever being in the game other than on special teams), it's evident that they will need more DBs.  

I think this is reason why Sherels should no longer be on the roster. We need real CBs on game day. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Been listening to the Skor North podcast and I'm getting really frustrated with the way they defend Coach Zimmer. They keep talking about how "Zimmer's defense" has been top 10 in scoring defense in every year, but on the big stage the offense will lay eggs and that's somehow Kirk's fault. But Zimmer isn't the defensive coordinator, he's head coach. He is in charge of the whole team, not just the defense. If the team can't generate offense, that falls under him, as well. The Vikings have been laying eggs offensively since 2015, when they lost 20-3 on MNF to the Jim Tomsula 49ers.

There has also been a lack of continuity on offense since Norv Turner. Shurmur left after a season and half, Flip was canned halfway through last year and now Stefanski is getting talked about for more head coaching positions. I definitely feel if the Vikings are going to commit to Cousins beyond the end of next season, they need to consider a HC with an offensive background to maintain a consistent scheme and playcalling for Cousins (and the O-Line) for more than one season.

I'm not saying fire Zim if they lose on Sunday, but I feel some people are being way too faithful to a guy because of his regular season record. Hopefully the Vikings win Sunday and all this chatter will die, but I'm not committed to Zim if the Saints show that the Vikings, with a comparable roster, are frauds.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

Been listening to the Skor North podcast and I'm getting really frustrated with the way they defend Coach Zimmer. They keep talking about how "Zimmer's defense" has been top 10 in scoring defense in every year, but on the big stage the offense will lay eggs and that's somehow Kirk's fault. But Zimmer isn't the defensive coordinator, he's head coach. He is in charge of the whole team, not just the defense. If the team can't generate offense, that falls under him, as well. The Vikings have been laying eggs offensively since 2015, when they lost 20-3 on MNF to the Jim Tomsula 49ers.

There has also been a lack of continuity on offense since Norv Turner. Shurmur left after a season and half, Flip was canned halfway through last year and now Stefanski is getting talked about for more head coaching positions. I definitely feel if the Vikings are going to commit to Cousins beyond the end of next season, they need to consider a HC with an offensive background to maintain a consistent scheme and playcalling for Cousins (and the O-Line) for more than one season.

I'm not saying fire Zim if they lose on Sunday, but I feel some people are being way too faithful to a guy because of his regular season record. Hopefully the Vikings win Sunday and all this chatter will die, but I'm not committed to Zim if the Saints show that the Vikings, with a comparable roster, are frauds.

I understand not being necessarily happy with just a good regular season record, but I will say that without a good regular season record, you don't even have a chance to win.  A lot of times, the playoffs are simply a crapshoot (outside of the Patriots), so the goal should be just to get in.  Once you get in, then who knows what could happen.  I understand that he's responsible for the offense as well as the defense, but his specialty is the defense.  Even the offensive-minded head coaches aren't nearly as involved with the defensive game-planning. Just ask Andy Reid or Sean Payton.  Neither one of them is Belichick (who has his hands in everything).  They let their DCs manage the entire defense and they concentrate on the offensive side of the ball...and we've seen, more often than not, the defense is where their teams have struggled.  

• Like 4

It is pretty cool that Zimmer has led the team to three ten win seasons in his first six seasons. He is a better coach than most of the coaches the Vikings have had but he is nowhere near Bud Grant. Winning 10 games is so much easier when there are 16 games and a bye week on the schedule. Grant was doing it with no bye weeks and only 14 games. Zimmer has a long ways to go to belong with Mr. Bud Grant in that conversation.

Mr. Bud Grant and Mike Zimmer have both been head coaches of the Minnesota Vikings. I wouldn't take the comparison any further than that.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It is pretty cool that Zimmer has led the team to three ten win seasons in his first six seasons. He is a better coach than most of the coaches the Vikings have had but he is nowhere near Bud Grant. Winning 10 games is so much easier when there are 16 games and a bye week on the schedule. Grant was going it with no bye weeks and only 14 games. Zimmer has a long ways to go to belong with Mr. Bud Grant in that conversation.

Mr. Bud Grant and Mike Zimmer have both been head coaches of the Minnesota Vikings. I wouldn't take the comparison any further than that.

I don't think anyone has even considered comparing those two at this point.  It's a closer comparison between Zimmer and Denny...and I actually think I'd put Zimmer ahead of him by a nose.  

• Like 2