The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

At the end of the day, it was basically the same roster and coaching staff that blew a 5-0 start last season against fairly weak opponents to completely miss the playoffs. 

There's something in the water with this team that didn't make me think completely crapping the bed at the most important moment in the season was really all that unlikely.

We shouldn't be married to anyone on this team, whether it's Zimmer, Harrison Smith, Everson Griffen or the long snapper.

Edited by joru1000

2 hours ago, swiss_vike said:

Zimmer ignores matchups.

Putting best 5 offensive line man in the game is simply ignoring matchups. What's the better matchup? Hill against Barnett or Sirles/Isidora against Jernigan?

Beside fundamentals and techniques (Zimmer is top notch here), coaching in the NFL is 2 things:

1) Matchups (strategical)

2) Adaptions (tactical)

I think that Zimmer is average in tactics and bad on the strategic level. Don't misunderstand me, I love Mike Zimmer. But he's lacking in certain areas that I think are needed to get teams to the next level of success. Both Saints and Eagles games have shown that pretty clear. He coached not to loose. 

Compare how the Eagles came out of halftime, up 17 points, to how the Vikings came out of haltfime, up 17 points against the Saints. Night and Day. (And take into acount that Eagles faced a backup QB and Vikings faced a HOF QB). What Doug did was championship football, what Mike did is hoping for the best.

Maybe he'll learn, but it's hard to get out of your skin.

Offensive lines don't usually get switched around do to matchups 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't know, the players did so many things fundamentally wrong, like tackling.

This. Exactly this.

Combine that with Keenum's inability to keep pace and last night happened. They need a better QB and the defense can't make that many mistakes at the same time. It wasn't the scheme, it was execution.

1 hour ago, joru1000 said:

At the end of the day, it was basically the same roster and coaching staff that blew a 5-0 start last season against fairly weak opponents to completely miss the playoffs. 

There's something in the water with this team that didn't make me think completely crapping the bed at the most important moment in the season was really all that unlikely.

We shouldn't be married to anyone on this team, whether it's Zimmer, Harrison Smith, Everson Griffen or the long snapper.

Totally agree.

Prior to the Eagles game I posted about having a really bad feeling about what was going to happen.

I too haven't forgotten the way the team started out 5-0 in 2016, then went into a downward spiral and Zimmer was unable to pull them out of it. Yeah, I know they had all the injuries along the OL, but the vaunted defence pulled a disappearing act at key moments as well.

There is a serious lack of mental toughness with this team and I am not sure what the solution is.

49 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I agree.  To me, it falls on player execution.  Once things started going south, it just snowballed and Murphy's Law took over.  

Zimmer is the head coach.

A big part of his job is to keep things from snowballing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, milanb said:

Zimmer is the head coach.

A big part of his job is to keep things from snowballing.

What do you say to Harrison Smith (one of your surest tacklers) when he's missing tackles to fix it? I'm sure whatever it is Zimmer said and it didn't translate to the field. Eagles exposed our weaknesses on both side of the ball.

To have a chance for a comeback .. meant that Vikings would need to abandon their game plan and pretty much blitz none stop and have supreme tackling on the back end. It would also mean keeping multiple blockers in to help the OL or go heavy in the screen game to slow down the pass rush (who were crushing our OL).

I didn't see enough of these adjustments by Zimmer & Shurmur