The Zim-Zam Flim-Flam: All Things Zimmer

Heimdallr

26 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Also, I think they are a prime example of how important a great OL+DL is, and how much freedom that asset gives to the coordinators. 

Too much emphasis has been given to the loss of Wentz, and too little to their top quality lines.  Those are lessons GMs should heed in free agency and the draft.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think that Pederson is a gutsy coach.  In a league that rewards coaches who try to win by minimizing risk, by making conservative calls, Pederson is a living, breathing, walking middle finger.  Hey is a lot like Sean Peyton to some extent.  I hope more coaches call games like Pederson...it might be the only way the NFL revives it's viewership!!

Too much time hanging around Favre is what influenced Pederson.  ^_^

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 1

Pederson has plays the odds.....it's just that most NFL coaches will not admit that the odds sometimes say go for it on 4th down.....among other things. Many of us have been preaching that NFL coaches do everything they can to make the "safe" call, in order to protect themselves from losing their jobs. I hope Pederson's success opens a few eyes...

I wish that he was more aggressive. This may fall on our offensively philosophy and coaching, but for a team that is so good defensively, that means we can be MORE aggressive on offense. Rex Ryan used to fake punts on their own side of the field, because he had such faith in his defense to give up a field goal at worst. I'm not saying we should go complete agro, but we punted on 4th and 5 or less, from opponent territory a lot of times. I would go for most, if not all of those. You gotta have faith in your defense that is your bread and butter.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

There's the problem. Take a note from Pederson's book, 4th and goal from the 1/2 is always a go for it. If you don't get it, your defense will force a punt or get a safety.

It depends how important just getting 3 is in the situation but I agree with going for it more often. 

Any chance they will be more aggressive with going for it on 4th and short with an improving O-line? We didn't exactly have the line that was likely to get enough push 

What worries me about Zimmer is this: the worst 3 halfs of football this team played this year were the last 3 halfs of the season. He was not able to elevate the game when it counted the most. Also, there was no reaction to getting beat badly, not from a scheme point of play, not from a play calling point of view, nothing, no adaptions whatsoever - they were simply unprepared and assumed that what workd during the season will work in the play-offs.

Also, the decision to start the 5 best on OL was not good. That caused changes in 2 positions instead of one. In addition to that, we all assume great depth at the DL position - but Zim rarely played Jaleel/Weahterly/Bower (even after Stephen went down). Our DL was clearly gassed at the end of the season and end of games. Compare that to Eagles, who were still bringin' it with 4 late in the 4th quarter. They had 7 players rotating on DL all the time. I think to be a real contender, you have to have depth and use depth beyond the starting players. I think we have it, but Zim doesn't use it. And we seem very weak at creating matchups to our favor.

I love Zim as much as the next guy, but he certainly has flaws in a. strategic approach to the game (game plan, creating matchups, etc) and in b. tractical approach (adaptions, keeping players fresh, clock management). He still has to learn alot to take use to the title. He's certainly able to learn - whether he will, remains to be seen. Most seem to think that Zimmer did an outstanding job with the players at had - and I agree to some extent - but I think he also held us back by mis-using his resources.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Perhaps Zimmer doesn't trust his DL depth. If that is the case, we either have to spend early picks on defense to fix the issue or add some valuable free agents. This defense realistically needs another starting caliber DT and possibly DE.

I think getting Richardson in FA and drafting a Chad Thomas out of Miami would do wonders for the line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I think getting Richardson in FA and drafting a Chad Thomas out of Miami would do wonders for the line.

The back 7 is mostly set. Newman might return in a reduced role but I'd expect Alexander to see the field more in year three. There aren't really any needs on defense except for DE and DT.

Of course, CB and LB depth would be nice but not pressing as more pass rushers is.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

There's the problem. Take a note from Pederson's book, 4th and goal from the 1/2 is always a go for it. If you don't get it, your defense will force a punt or get a safety.

I am not sure I understand what the connection between your first sentence and your second. The Vikings did not kick a FG from the one yard line this year. They did kick from the 2 yard line twice.